PDA

View Full Version : Local or International - for purchase?

Sandi
13-07-2010, 10:59pm
Where do you buy your equipment? And are there any Aus places that are price competitive with the USA?

I'm looking at buying the Tamron 28 - 75mm f2.8 but they seem to be a good extra $200 or so more expensive.

bigdazzler
14-07-2010, 9:47am
Hi Sandi .. Welcome to AP :)

OK .. there are a few ways to buy your camera gear.

1. Australian Retails stores like Teds, Camera House, etc ..

If your someone that like peace of mind when it comes to face to face customer service/support, and/or potential warranty services, this is the way to go. As a result of this though, you will generally pay a bit more than the following options.

2. Parallel Import (Grey Market) Sellers.

These are companies that import stock from Asian countries like Hong Kong, Malaysia, China, etc. Usually online and much cheaper than retail prices. The trade-off though is that you dont get that face to face service, and some companies wont warrant imported stock. Youll need to decide for yourself if the savings are worth the potential warranty issues if something breaks within the first 12 months. After 12 months, your in the same boat no matter what. So for me if the savings are significant, I go grey market every time. In fact, I bought my FF body at a 50% saving by going grey market. That was over $2K saved in my pocket.

DWI Cameras (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp) is a good one ... They have an online store, a phone number, an email address, and a service agent based in Sydney that will handle any warranty issues if something does go wrong. I actually bought that very lens you mentioned (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=374)from them a while ago at a very good saving.

One thing you need to watch though is that if you purchase an order from a grey market seller online and the stock is coming from OS, and is over $1000, you may get hit with GST and Customs fees. This wont apply to you here because the Tamron is significantly less than that amount.

3. OS Stores like B&H Photovideo and Adorama in New York. They are usually a little cheaper than Aus Retail stores even after factoring in the exchange rate but shipping is very $$$. And then you also have the issue of GST and Customs for larger orders.

4. And then theres eBay. Personally I avoid buying lenses from eBay unless its a very good deal on a quality lens that i have found second hand. I buy a lot of bits and pieces off eBay but not usually big ticket items like lenses.

Hope that helps a bit .. :)

Kym
14-07-2010, 9:58am
+1 for Darren's post.

For Sigma lenses CR Kennedy (the importer) will match grey imports (check their web site).

Some things to consider when getting gear from overseas...

1. The price
2. Shipping
3. US$ > AUS$ conversion
4. CC fees/loading
5. GST if its over $1,000
6. Warranty and support

So it needs to be a lot less to make it worth while. (net 15% or better as a rule of thumb)

Sites like www.shopbot.com.au and www.staticince.com.au are really helpful.

As Darren said - you need to differentiate grey from true Aussie supported stock.

joele
14-07-2010, 8:35pm
For Sigma lenses CR Kennedy (the importer) will match grey imports (check their web site)

Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. I have experienced them refusing to as the price was "too good"..

For me over the years I found it depends on the strength of the aussie dollar. If I can get it at a good price locally I will, if the dollar is strong I would prefer to use BHPhoto or Adorama if they save me money, otherwise I buy from HK directly from stores like 'citiwide' either over ebay or from their online store.

Kerry
14-07-2010, 11:38pm
Hi Sandi!
I bought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 back in March from DWI and can't recommend them highly enough..My lens arrived 48 hours after placing the order and I saved quite a few $$$$$..Am very happy with the lens and would definitely purchase from them again!

TAYLORW619
14-07-2010, 11:52pm
Hi BigDazzler,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is this DWI place like?

Just had a quick glance and a few things I'm thinking about buying are cheaper there.

Thanks,
Taylor

bigdazzler
15-07-2010, 10:33am
Hi BigDazzler,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is this DWI place like?

Just had a quick glance and a few things I'm thinking about buying are cheaper there.

Thanks,
Taylor

Very good mate. Great prices, fast courier delivery, and good communication via phone and email. They also have a service agent in Sydney that will take care of any warranty issues that may arise, which is a bonus with grey market gear.

I do recommend though, that if youre placing an order online, make sure you call first and make sure the item is in stock and ready to ship. Sometimes Ive noticed that their website says things are available but when ive called to confirm they tell me they are out of stock. So a quick phone call is always recommended.

TAYLORW619
15-07-2010, 11:58am
Very good mate. Great prices, fast courier delivery, and good communication via phone and email. They also have a service agent in Sydney that will take care of any warranty issues that may arise, which is a bonus with grey market gear.

I do recommend though, that if youre placing an order online, make sure you call first and make sure the item is in stock and ready to ship. Sometimes Ive noticed that their website says things are available but when ive called to confirm they tell me they are out of stock. So a quick phone call is always recommended.

Thanks for that,

I'm looking at buying a new lens and grey market places are already around
$600 cheaper, but this shop beats those prices again by another $100 or so.

Becstarr
19-07-2010, 5:38pm
I am looking to buy a new canon lens and have a sister living in Hong Kong, does anyone know any reputable stores over there that I can get her to price them for me. Is this worth my while or do I just purchase grey market. Will the quality all be the same or is there refurbished / seconds stock on the grey market to be concerned about.

clickclick
04-02-2011, 3:44pm
I want to order a canon lens 24-105mm f4 and have the money sitting and waiting (unusual 4 me LOL) but been looking online for ages for a reputable person to order it off! The more i look at customer reviews the more scared i get to give them my hard earned $$! Looked at quickshop.. and even called them - the guy seemed good.. but now see theres a fair few scary threads about them out there. So the DWI one looks similar but has a better rap online from what i can see. So I have been thinking about calling them & maybe ordering there. Still looking though..

Wondering about the extra charges /tax ive heard of.. the lens i want to get at the checkout is usually like $1029 with postage (24-105mm f4). So is that taxable or because the lens is less than $1k without post its free of tax?

How do you know if theres any other charges import duty etc & how do they charge you this if its not at the checkout?

hoping to get it soon so I can start shooting as I sold my only lens.. so any advice would be appreciated!

kiwi
04-02-2011, 3:45pm
I have a simple rule that works for me, if I can save 25% + by going import (after shipping and tax etc) then I'll take the risk

Try it :)

Wayne
04-02-2011, 4:29pm
I buy almost everything from OS simply due to the huge savings. I just bought 400/2.8VR which is about $11K+ here in Australia, but, I got it for AU$8490 landed on my doorstep from the USA. Why would I buy it here, and how could the cost of the item be so different in 2 different markets? Thieving distributors and or retailers......

All the big USA stores, and many of the HK resellers are honest, reliable and all will save you lots of $$, the more you are spending, the more you will save.

Namus
04-02-2011, 4:34pm
I've bought from DWI a number of times and had no issues at all - do recommend :th3:

Wondering about the extra charges /tax ive heard of.. the lens i want to get at the checkout is usually like $1029 with postage (24-105mm f4). So is that taxable or because the lens is less than $1k without post its free of tax?

How do you know if theres any other charges import duty etc & how do they charge you this if its not at the checkout?

From what I can recall, although not completely above-board, what they (the HK sellers; unsure about US ones) do is mark the packages worth over $1k as being less than $1k to bypass the customs/imports tax....has happened to a number of friends of mine (and me) and we've never had any issues with it

triptych
04-02-2011, 4:34pm
I think some grey importers even change the invoice to under $1000 to save the tax

Kym
04-02-2011, 4:52pm
I think some grey importers even change the invoice to under $1000 to save the tax

Which is illegal. Don't discuss this further due to site rule
[10] Members are not to discuss/promote or otherwise disseminate information regarding any illegal activity. Discussion of any illegal activities – be they criminal or civil – is unacceptable.

ricktas
04-02-2011, 4:58pm
I've bought from DWI a number of times and had no issues at all - do recommend :th3:

From what I can recall, although not completely above-board, what they (the HK sellers; unsure about US ones) do is mark the packages worth over $1k as being less than $1k to bypass the customs/imports tax....has happened to a number of friends of mine (and me) and we've never had any issues with it

Do NOT discuss this on Ausphotography :

[10] Members are not to discuss/promote or otherwise disseminate information regarding any illegal activity. Discussion of any illegal activities – be they criminal or civil – is unacceptable.

Namus
04-02-2011, 5:04pm
Apologies Rick - please edit my post as appropriate :(

Boofhead
04-02-2011, 5:37pm
I bought my 70-200 2.8 from DWI about a month ago. Great service and they deliver when they say they will. They have people in Australia you can ring to discuss if needed. I could not recommend them higher and would be more than happy to shop with them again. They also had the best price I could find by a good margin. :th3:

davearnold
04-02-2011, 6:20pm
I have seen the 24-105mm canon, locallly for under $1200 retail....for the little bit extra, nice to have local warranty, if ever required.

Jaded62
04-02-2011, 6:27pm
Please refer to the forum rules regarding promotion of businesses etc. by new members.

[18] Members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography.

Perfectoarts
14-02-2011, 9:07am
With all the talk of import duties and fees, I am happy to now search for Australian products at competitive prices.