PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome (black and white) conversions

ricktas
13-07-2010, 8:31pm
This video uses layers and may be a bit confusing to beginners, but if you follow the direction you can create some stunning monochrome photos, and begin to understand that photoshop offers several ways to achieve similar results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6auNupB7o

Jorge Arguello
15-07-2010, 12:11pm
Hello:
I don't have PS now so I tried it with GIMP rather than PS and it works! I changed colour photos to black and white.
The 1st “Saturation” is the easiest one. ;)
The 3rd method “Channel Mixer” is really great although it will take me more time to me to practice and obtain what I want. Some effects were to simulate that a filter (red, green) were used. :th3:

davwhite
11-05-2011, 4:46pm
All the methods described are good, just the results differ.
If any beginner is having trouble converting colour to B&W can I suggest a wonderful book.
"Digital black and white photography" by John Beardsworth.
Apart from the different ways to covert to B&W he also goes onto many other areas.
Retouching portraits
Darkening skies
changing backgrounds
Hand-colouring black & white images to name a few.

Well worth a read.

Namus
11-05-2011, 6:47pm
Wow, that's an awesome video. I just took a few images over the weekend which I wanted to convert to B&W as well, so the timing couldn't be more perfect. Thanks! :th3:

dbax
11-05-2011, 9:22pm
mmm why can't I see these video links?
I see the links in some of the other tutes but lately I'm missing links to posted video :confused013 Firefox 4.0.1, XP SP3. :confused013

wigwom
16-05-2011, 10:06pm
Thanks i have just bought PS and will use some of the tips learnt here thanks again

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 5:38pm
This was a great tutorial, not sure if I will succeed but will have a go. I would also like to change some pics to black and white and have one item with just colour. I heard you can do this by using the eraser tool? Is this correct?