PDA

View Full Version : Resizing your photo

ricktas
13-07-2010, 7:27pm
Resizing your photos can have a number of applications. Making them smaller to upload to website (like Ausphotography) or to email to family, friends or the client. Resizing your photo is an easy process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5adJfxuhw

seanmullins
14-07-2010, 2:41pm
Hi,
it's kinda hard to see with the quality of the video,
maybe a few screen shots would work better?
Just an idea.

There is also the Save For Web option for resizing web images.

ricktas
14-07-2010, 3:18pm
This section of the site is completely new Sean. We only started it last night. We will work on improving the videos in here over a period of time. Yes I am aware of Save for Web, but remember this forum area is directed at absolute beginners, so I wanted SIMPLE. A save for web one will be forthcoming.

kiwi
14-07-2010, 3:20pm
the video is illegible sorry

who's voice ?

ricktas
14-07-2010, 3:35pm
OK,. I will fix this one tonight. thanks for the feedback

TAYLORW619
15-07-2010, 11:49am
Thanks for this new Photoshop section.

I tried to watch the video but couldn't understand, this is something I would like to see so thanks for fixing.

I can do a few things in Photoshop but have never been able to work out how to resize photos for this site, lol. I feel so stupid when using photoshop so I usually don't :rolleyes:

ricktas
15-07-2010, 11:56am
This video has been updated!

Ian
11-12-2010, 10:23pm
Rick just a quick question, when resiezing for printing use the same section just type in the said width and height, ie; 7"x5"?, comercial print that is. ian

ricktas
12-12-2010, 6:57am
Yeah, Ian, you can resize it to proportions for printing. However a few things to consider

* Make sure you are resizing to the same aspect ratio as the original. So if your original is 3:2, you can go to 6:4 12:8 etc, otherwise you will end up cropping bits or distorting the result. Try it, open a photo, unclick 'constrain proportions' and type in any random value to the fields and press OK. See why keeping the aspect ratio is important. Use Undo to get rid of the distorted photo you now have.

* For printing you need a higher resolution than the 72 (which is an old screen resolution, most are now about 100), up that to around 300. You need at least 200 for high quality printing.

Dan Gamble
16-12-2010, 11:00pm
This is a great video for the beginners just needing to do quick fixes for their images Rick. Great to see the people who are only needing the basics being catered for. Short, easy to follow and easy to digest. Nice to see someone taking the time to do this sort of thing as, believe it or not, tutorials that cover the fundamentals are very very difficult to find a lot of the time.

Great work again Rick.

P.S. I'm not sure which version I watched and I didn't have any trouble hearing the audio or seeing the content once I clicked the link to the YouTube page and went to full-screen mode. There was a link to a new version embedded in the video stream yet this didn't work for me. Perhaps this was the new version with the old link still embedded??? I use Firefox as my browser and can't recall having issues with links embedded in video streams on YouTube before this. Just thought I'd mention it to you.

salnel
16-12-2010, 11:33pm
Thanks, Rick, for taking the time to do this. As a real beginner, I agree with Dan..it is very hard to find easy starts in PS. I generally get lost and give up.:( Just as side question..I got Scott Kelby's book on Lighroom 3 and found it very good because it was so easy to follow..would anyone know if his book on PS5 is similar..I can't find it in Geelong without ordering it to have a look . Thanks.

ricktas
17-12-2010, 6:02am
Thanks, Rick, for taking the time to do this. As a real beginner, I agree with Dan..it is very hard to find easy starts in PS. I generally get lost and give up.:( Just as side question..I got Scott Kelby's book on Lighroom 3 and found it very good because it was so easy to follow..would anyone know if his book on PS5 is similar..I can't find it in Geelong without ordering it to have a look . Thanks.
All Scott's books are written in his humorous style and are easy to follow. I would recommend his CS5 book, and any others, highly

Tatts
17-12-2010, 7:56am
I do the above to re-size an image, i then save it as a jpeg.
Am i doing something wrong or does this always strip the exif data? How can i keep the exif data for the jpeg?

ricktas
17-12-2010, 8:07am
I do the above to re-size an image, i then save it as a jpeg.
Am i doing something wrong or does this always strip the exif data? How can i keep the exif data for the jpeg?

Using "save for web" strips EXIF. If you wish to retain EXIF in your JPG files:

1. Make sure you have converted your file to 8-Bit
2. Use 'File - Save As"
3. Select JPG (if JPG is not an option in the drop down filetypes, see 1 above)
4. Save your file - this will retain EXIF

Tatts
25-12-2010, 7:39pm
Thanks for the quick reply Rick, sorry i didn't come back to check for a few days. Will do this next time i load a photo.

dkp
27-12-2010, 12:11pm
Hi there, Apologies for being a luddite ...... I'm a child of the analogue age :eek: and new at this digital imaging hocus pocus :confused013
I've not used my PS (elements) before as it is too dam confusing. The video seems to make it seem simple enough but ...... I am only able to change the document size ..... and not the pixels.

Thought's ??

dkp
27-12-2010, 12:48pm
Oh dear :o .......
I figured out the hocus pocus ....... :cool:

crumplex
27-01-2011, 8:11pm
Fast and easy!

Namus
29-01-2011, 11:42am
Many thanks for this; have wondered how it got done :th3: :o :o

Jenny
06-02-2011, 12:32pm
I never knew all this information was on here. I can see I will have to pay more attention to what is available. Have not been on much due to holidays and busy life but hope to get back into it again shortly.

Wally Gator
25-11-2011, 10:05am
Hey Rick,

I'm keen to have a look at the video, but can't seem to locate it in the forum. Any ideas?
(All I can see under your initial post is "qu5adJfxuhw"

Thanks

ricktas
25-11-2011, 10:10am
Hey Rick,

I'm keen to have a look at the video, but can't seem to locate it in the forum. Any ideas?
(All I can see under your initial post is "qu5adJfxuhw"

Thanks

Yep, it has been removed from YouTube again.

Go to the TUTORIALS forum here on AP, and look for the one titled resizing photos for the internet.