PDA

View Full Version : What's with the flash?

alacrity
13-07-2010, 4:17pm
I have a whole heap of photo's that turned out like this with the dark area. My finger wasn't in the way and I can't seem to replicate the problem, any suggestions? It happened for maybe 15 photo's, I had put the camera down and turned it off each time in between, and then it was fine for the other 30 or so.

ving
13-07-2010, 4:22pm
using a popup flash and the lens or hood is blocking the light... thats my guess.

MarkChap
13-07-2010, 5:49pm
using a popup flash and the lens or hood is blocking the light... thats my guess.

It would be dark on the top if that was the case wouldn't it David ??

MarkChap
13-07-2010, 5:51pm
1/60 f4.5, so it was not a sync issue

Something was definitely blocking your flash ??
What about your strap ??

Scotty72
13-07-2010, 5:55pm
It would be dark on the top if that was the case wouldn't it David ??
No, the pic seems to be taken in portrait (not landscape); the camera rotated to the left so the flash is to the left of the camera? Is that right?

If yes, then David's answer is spot on...

Scotty

Scotty72
13-07-2010, 6:07pm
Assuming you don't have an external flash, get one :); if you can't get one just yet try the following:

- take off any lens hood
- shoot only landscape (the flash will look a little less weird)
- This type is indoor shot, up the ISO to at least 400 - 800 if your camera handles it (your d3000 should handle it easily)
- leave the lens at about f/4 or f/5
- bring the shutter down as much as you dare about 1/40 sec, a little less is you have an image stabiliser lens.

You want the flash to do as little as possible - in other words, get as much ambient light on your subject as possible so any weird flash shadows are minimised.

NEVER, ever shoot portrait with onboard flash.

Scotty

MarkChap
13-07-2010, 6:18pm
No, the pic seems to be taken in portrait (not landscape); the camera rotated to the left so the flash is to the left of the camera? Is that right?

If yes, then David's answer is spot on...

Scotty

Why yes of course, slaps me self up the head :)

Scotty72
13-07-2010, 6:30pm
Why yes of course, slaps me self up the head :)

Here, let me help :lol2:

alacrity
13-07-2010, 7:19pm
Thanks all. Scotty thanks for that indepth answer, very helpful indeed:)