PDA

View Full Version : inbuilt flash on D90 will not lock down : SOLUTION

matilda
13-07-2010, 2:38pm
Some of you may remember that my d90 camera had to go into repairs as the shutter got stuck in the up position. well that fault has now been repaired (the whole shutter mechanism had to get replaced, thank goodness for insurance).

I have no acquired another d90 (yay me). And the inbuilt flash will not go down, i have check the mechanism and it's not broken. Does anyone know how i can get it to stay down, without having to tape it?

I don't use the inbuilt flash, I have an external flash, and when it's on the camera it deactivates the inbuilt flash, so it doesn't waste my battery, but it's still annoying.

ving
13-07-2010, 2:59pm
man, you are having no luck at all are you!... i cant suggest anything except for send in for repairs :(
sorry....

reaction
13-07-2010, 3:00pm
take it back for warranty
the locking pin is loose.

matilda
13-07-2010, 3:06pm
yeah me and d90's seem to be a no go!

as for warranty well the camera's where bought o/s and the warranty is out.

the only place that does repairs is in melb... i might see if camera house in horsham can fix it, esp if it's just the locking pins.

TEITZY
13-07-2010, 3:11pm
Blu-Tack :D

Cheers
Leigh

dieselpower
14-07-2010, 10:17am
I have no acquired another d90 (yay me). And the inbuilt flash will not go down, i have check the mechanism and it's not broken. Does anyone know how i can get it to stay down, without having to tape it?

I have this exact issue with mine, just started a few days ago. It's going in for repair tomorrow as it's still under warranty.

I did find, however, that if I pushed the flash just right the locking pin would engage and it would stay down. Try this - as you hold the camera with the lens pointing away from you, push the flash down on the left hand side about halfway along the arm. When it's down push it firmly (but not too firmly!). If you listen carefully you might hear it click - but will depend how far out it is. Fortunately mine still engages with this procedure and the flash will stay down.

If you look at the camera from the left hand side with the flash up, you'll see a little hooked pin coming up from the flash saddle - this is the locking pin. You want to aim to push down over the top of this as much as possible.

If this works it'd be better than having to tape or blu-tak!

dieselpower
14-07-2010, 10:52am
I just did some reading about this - it seems to be a common problem! There's an adjustment you can make inside the flash head which might be of interest to you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=32513983 has a good thread about it and http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=32474446 is a link to an extract from the D50 service manual. It appears to be more or less the same as the D90 mechanism. Hope this is of help to you - I may yet try it myself before I send it away.

dieselpower
14-07-2010, 1:22pm
Matilda, I have some (maybe) good news for you. I have fixed my flash myself, took me all of about 3 minutes once I had the right sized allen key. I don't have to take it to Brisbane to get looked at now!

As the links I posted above mention, there's an adjustment cam for the latch mechanism. The problem is highly documented but the fix isn't. I'll do a write up tonight, with photos, on how to fix it (assuming that it hasn't loosened so much that it's come out completely).

dieselpower
14-07-2010, 6:44pm
Alrighty.

To do this you will need a 1.5mm Allen key. I got a set of 8 metric allen keys from Bunnings for $5.65.

Refer to the picture below:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/thomasando/DSCF6473.jpg

This is the screw you need to adjust. I believe that it is just a screw with an out of center head on it - I don't think it actually winds anything up or down (but I couldn't be sure). If you shine a torch into the rectangular hole just above the screw while you're adjusting the screw you'll see the catch move.

I adjusted mine so that I could see that it was sticking out past the edge of the plastic and tried it, and it worked but you could also do it by feel. I would turn it 1/6 of a revolution at a time in one direction, trying the flash after each one. I would not go further than a full turn one way. If you get to that point and it hasn't fixed it, then turn it back to your start position and adjust the other way. Provided this screw is there, you *should* find a spot that works.

In the process of my adjustments I had it to a point where it wouldn't catch at all regardless of extra pressure (as I suggested in my initial post).

I hope this helps and best of luck!

I @ M
14-07-2010, 6:57pm
Well done trying to help out with posts and pics of a solution to the problem dieslepower :th3:

dieselpower
14-07-2010, 7:00pm
Well done trying to help out with posts and pics of a solution to the problem dieslepower :th3:

No worries. I had a vested interest since mine was doing the same. Just hope it helps out someone else one day.

matilda
15-07-2010, 9:37am
oh thank you so much!

I have some visitor coming over so I can't go down to the hardware store to the the allan keys (ex took all the tools when he left, another story completely).

But I will try out all these suggestions and let you know.

Thanks you again.

dieselpower
21-07-2010, 9:55am
Any luck Matilda?

matilda
22-07-2010, 5:45pm
i haven't had the chance to get allen keys.

we have all been hit with gastro, my son is clingy cause of a molar coming through and my daughter is sick with an ear infection, so no luck yet.

I tried all the other options and they haven't solved the problem.

But i will let you know how it goes.

thanks.

matilda
23-07-2010, 11:48am
all fixed. half a turn of the correct sized allen key and all fixed!

yay, thanks so much.

dieselpower
23-07-2010, 11:49am
:wd: Cheap and easy in the end for both of us!

matilda
23-07-2010, 11:51am
yeah i know, the allen keys only cost me $3

ricktas
23-07-2010, 4:21pm
I have moved this thread to the Nikon forum and stickied it. Great result here guys. Well done Dieselpower for finding the solution and giving such concise and easy directions for others members.

dieselpower
23-07-2010, 4:28pm
There's a more detailed step by step description including the above pic on my blog, if that's easier to follow for anyone else following along.

http://dieselpic.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/d90-flash-wont-stay-down-how-to-fix/

ving
23-07-2010, 4:32pm
dieselpower, ur a legend mate :D

CabanSail
07-11-2010, 6:42pm
Must see if this is similar to the mechanism on my D70S

Thanks

dieselpower
07-11-2010, 7:42pm
CabanSail - almost without doubt! Most Nikon DSLRs with onboard flashes use the same (or similar) setup. I originally was tipped off that something like this may work based on something I read about a D70, so the odds are good!

Patagonia
18-11-2010, 2:38pm
I had this problem and found the solution on Dieselpower`s blog, thanks dieselpower!, on the same blog there was a link to this community so here I am, just registered!

I had my D90 flash wrecked in a trip to the Grand Canyon (AR, USA) and for a full year just used 1" of ductape to keep it in place, Nikon service here in Chile charged me US$ 240 for taking a look at it plus any spare parts, no way!!!

I tried the Allen key first and fixed it, but as I ended with a small gap that would sure cause the flash to open when getting the camera into the bag I became ambitious and gave it a second chance...bad call, could not make it work again so I had to try the second choice: opening the flash, my comments:

- When you turn the Allen key it doesen´t matter if you do more than one turn, it will not brake as it only moves the catch (its a cylinder) without screwing or unscrewing, one turn will leave you just were you started.
- As said before, DONT touch the cables inside, they give a very trong shock (personal experience :D)
- Removing the catch and knowing what to do is very easy once you see it, no problem at all
- The catch is a cylinder with the top side (where the plastic clip rest and holds the flash closed) cutted in an incline, thus turning it will give you more or less clearance for the clip to click in place.
- Cutting will make the thinner side even thinner for the clip to click in place.

Hope it helps, it realy helped my camera and my finances :)

regards

dieselpower
19-11-2010, 7:27am
Glad it pointed you in the right direction Patagonia - and welcome!

Blueywa
05-02-2011, 1:42pm
I just bought a D90 as a backup camera;
So far no problems but its good to know it can be fixed.
Thanks Dieselpower.

;)

Green
27-10-2011, 11:24pm
I believe that there is a small pin attached with a spring which is inside the top flash cover has lost its position. Probably due to a hit to the top flash unit.

It is better to send it to Nikon repair and they will fix it for you. Trying to fix this on your own will be dangerous due to high voltage connected to the top flash unit.

dieselpower
28-10-2011, 6:41am
I believe that there is a small pin attached with a spring which is inside the top flash cover has lost its position. Probably due to a hit to the top flash unit.

It is better to send it to Nikon repair and they will fix it for you. Trying to fix this on your own will be dangerous due to high voltage connected to the top flash unit.

You may be right, however I fail to see how this adjustment without opening the flash casing could be dangerous. By the feedback on my blog, the lug which you turn is plastic so non-conductive. I've also had reports there that the Nikon agents charge $180 for this to be fixed (granted, probably an overseas currency). Of 3500+ hits on this article on my blog, only 43 people have commented. Of the people that have commented, several have taken the flash apart to fix (and a few of them have trimmed the lug with a knife). Not one report of anyone getting a zap from the readers on my blog. The only person I know of who got a zap from the flash was "patagonia" in this thread!

As Patagonia said - the catch is a tapered cylinder to allow for adjustment, no springs/clips in the pop up head. There is in the pin protruding from the camera body I expect, but I wouldn't go pulling that to bits!

If you're facing the prospect of opening it, then sure - send to Nikon, but give it a go with the allen key first. It'll save you heaps of coin and by all accounts is safe.

Green
30-10-2011, 11:36pm
You may be right, however I fail to see how this adjustment without opening the flash casing could be dangerous. By the feedback on my blog, the lug which you turn is plastic so non-conductive. I've also had reports there that the Nikon agents charge $180 for this to be fixed (granted, probably an overseas currency). Of 3500+ hits on this article on my blog, only 43 people have commented. Of the people that have commented, several have taken the flash apart to fix (and a few of them have trimmed the lug with a knife). Not one report of anyone getting a zap from the readers on my blog. The only person I know of who got a zap from the flash was "patagonia" in this thread!

As Patagonia said - the catch is a tapered cylinder to allow for adjustment, no springs/clips in the pop up head. There is in the pin protruding from the camera body I expect, but I wouldn't go pulling that to bits!

If you're facing the prospect of opening it, then sure - send to Nikon, but give it a go with the allen key first. It'll save you heaps of coin and by all accounts is safe.

I have had opened several DSLR Cameras and all of them seems to have nearly the same design for flash unit.

The reason some people don't get zapped sometimes, because the flash unit was originally not working so capacitor is not charging. Therefore, they won't get zapped.

Furthermore, I believe that there are two things need to be repaired in order to fix this issue.

1- you have to open the whole top unit so you can see that the inside key (cylindrical key) is not positioned properly, it will seem it has received a push and lost its position. So what you do in this case, you just push this key back into its position.

2- secondly, you open the flash coverand on the side you will see the key that you just pushed in and next to it there is a small spring that has lost its position too. So what you do is, raise the small spring and put it on the top of the key. And FIXED.

However, when you open the flash cover ( usually screwed with two screws right under the flash light) you will see two wires one on the right side and the other on the left, these wires are dangerous to touch as the capacitor may be charged, so becarsefull. But anyway getting zapped is not a big deal, it might be strong but human body can take it and won't cause troubles unless you have heart problems.

Anyway, I am just giving some knowledge of how can this be fixed and what you may see inside.

As i said, i have not opened D90 before, but based on other DSLR Cameras they all come with nearly the same design.

Regards

I @ M
31-10-2011, 6:29am
Green, I think that you are missing the point of this thread entirely.

The thread is about the inbuilt flash on one particular model (D90) failing to lock into a closed position when manually lowered.
It isn't about the flash failing to work.

It seems to be a reasonably common problem with the D90. Similar problems have been encountered on other Nikon models.
The problem appears to be that the closing lock was not optimally adjusted at the time of manufacture or has moved out of adjustment during normal usage.
The "cure" is a non invasive adjustment procedure by means of a screw that is accessed purely by having the flash in the open position.
That screw is purposely put there to allow for easy latch adjustment without having to perform any internal work on the unit.

Rather obviously if the camera body has suffered damage from impact and the operation of the flash latch is compromised to the point of needing disassembly and parts replacement then a trip to the camera doctors may be in order but the details here are presented purely as a first step adjustment method to rule out further work. There have been plenty of people that have satisfactorily performed this step and saved themselves time and money and avoided any internal probings.

dieselpower
31-10-2011, 7:43am
The thread is about the inbuilt flash on one particular model (D90) failing to lock into a closed position when manually lowered.
It isn't about the flash failing to work.
I believe it applies to several other models too - but that may be beside the point.
I recently came across a D50 service manual and the process I describe is clearly labelled as 'adjusting dial'. Now it does appear as though in the d50 there's a spring that holds the dial in position - but as I@M said, if no damage has been sustained and it just 'stops working', this is a good first step for troubleshooting. If it fixes it then it's potentially saved a few hundred bucks. If it doesn't fix it then there's no real need to disassemble, just send it back to Nikon!