PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Canon Digital Photo Professional - to prepare New to Photography Competition

andylo
13-07-2010, 12:39pm
Hi all,

I would like to enter one of my better pic I have shot recently to the "New to photography" competition this month.

I was carefully reading the rules but the following puzzles me technically and I don't know how to do it.

Photographs entered must be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side and a maximum file-size of 250KB. Entries must be in JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg) format.

The only software for photo editing I got is Canon's Digital Photo Professional and I am only just scratch the skin of it.

So I am hoping if anyone can kindly instruct me how to achieve the size limit for my pictures so I can enter this competition. I like to see how far I can get :)

Thanks in advance

ricktas
13-07-2010, 12:46pm
Im not sure with DPP, but there could be an Image: Size option in the menu somewhere that lets you resize your photo. Then when you save it as a JPG, most software has a KB size option during the saving process.

simonw
13-07-2010, 1:10pm
When you have finished editing your image, go File-Convert and save. Down the bottom of the screen that pops up select the 'Resize' box. Change the largest number to 1024, and make sure lock aspect ratio is still selected

If the exported image is still more than 250kb, play with the image quality slider, turning it down to about 5 should get you under the 250kb

Art Vandelay
13-07-2010, 1:18pm
In the main window, highlight the image you want then go to 'file' up the top left of the screen, then select 'convert and save'

this window pops up

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Barry_Mundi/untitled3.jpg

Find a folder where you want to park the image

Name the new image

Select image quality of about 7

Output resolution at 250

Then tick the 'resize box'

Make sure the check box is highligthed for 'keep aspect ratio'

Then enter 1024 on the width if it's in landscape, or 1024 on height if it's in portrait. Note-only enter one or the other, it will work out the other dimension to suit.

Check the final image is under 250k. (find the folder you stored the new image in, then right click it and select 'properties'. If it's over 250k, do it again but reduce the resolution or image quality slightly until it's just under the 250k limit.

simonw
13-07-2010, 1:35pm
Just had to out-do me hey? :lol:

andylo
13-07-2010, 1:44pm
Thank you guys :) All info are helpful :)

Art Vandelay
13-07-2010, 1:50pm
Just had to out-do me hey? :lol:

haha, it was unintentional, sorry. I must of been mucking around with that screenshot and post while you replied :)

At least the info was the same. We cant both be wrong.

simonw
13-07-2010, 2:23pm
haha good point. Now, when do we get to see the finished results of the camaro and girls shoot? ;)

Art Vandelay
13-07-2010, 2:59pm
They're not really mine,... well they are... kind of.

They're my pics, and my car. It was borrowed by a mate who was shooting some models. I was just hovering around the background taking some overall pics and learning.