PDA

View Full Version : Price difference on the same lens

airgirl
12-07-2010, 11:32pm
Not sure this is the right forum for this, but I just had to mention it.

Today I bought a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 lens, which is something I have wanted for quite a while.
I purchased it from a well-known camera shop for $899.

Tonight I have been looking online and I see that I could have purchased one for as low as $724. I have always looked at lenses on the net and have been a little dubious about purchasing them online.

I am annoyed now that I didn't purchase it online and so could have saved myself $150 or so.

I am happy, however, that I have finally purchased this lens!

Have you purchased any lenses online? Was everything ok? Any problems?

Thanks for your comments - am quite interested to see what you all have to say.

RaoulIsidro
13-07-2010, 12:07am
There are two (2) Nikon 60mm f2.8 lenses.
The newer and dearer one is an AF-S G lens with IF (Internal Focusing) and SWM design.
The lower priced and older version is the Nikkor Micro D lens with the screw AF pin holes.
There's probably a very good reason why big name stores have higher prices than the on line variety. Other viewers might quip in to say why, but I am not sure why this is so.
I know the prices of these two lenses are way lower than what you paid for, but knowing those lower figures may only lessen your enjoyment, so I won't mention them here... (unless you insist off line...):):D:)

ricktas
13-07-2010, 6:20am
Yes this happens with fairly much everything you can buy. Someone else is sure to be selling it cheaper, just the way it is!

Online stores can be good as long as you use the well known ones. Often they will also advertise it as in stock, you can even call and ask, and be told it is in stock, place your order and then you get an email saying it is out of stock and delivery will be 4 weeks...

And RaoulIsidro check the site rules, members with under 50 posts and 30 days membership are not allowed to promote commercial sites, anywhere on Ausphotography, including the private messaging system.

OzzieTraveller
13-07-2010, 7:30am
G'day airgirl

As Rick says - plenty of shops work out their prices based upon their running costs & profit margins ... and thus the end result can be up/down when compared with others.

The other side of the coin is
Anything that comes off a factory production line, automatically has slight variations in accuracy and [in the case of a lens] image quality.

A decade or so back, it was well known that the 3rd-party lens makers would keep their own AAA-quality lenses went out under their own banner, the AA & A-quality lenses were sold off to other companies to rebadge [and price accordingly]

Thus it was quite possible to walk around the city camera shops and see what appeared to be the same identical lens, but having 3-4 different names, and with prices varying accordiingly.

It doesn't seem to be the case these days ... most of what I see today are only the well-known 3rd-party lens makers, but the allegation from local dealers I have spoken with is that the AA & A-quality lenses are shunted off to the asian wholesale market ... and thus are sold off at lower prices as well

Regards, Phil

airgirl
13-07-2010, 8:38am
Thank you everyone for your input!
The lens I have is the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f.2.8G ED.
I know there is always going to be some price difference in shopping online, but am still happy that I have purchased this lens (even though it cost me a little more)
Thanks!

maccaroneski
13-07-2010, 9:20am
You will always find pain if you continue to shop for something after you have bought it :). Although you may not have factored in shipping, which might mean you were only $120 or so worse off.

I've bought several lenses online without issue, but the price difference generally needs to be more than $100 or so before I will give away the peace of mind of knowing that I can walk back into the store if there is an issue.

Zac
13-07-2010, 9:21am
The lowest online prices will be "grey imports" which means no factory warranty as they are not purchased through the local distributor. Something to consider, especially with lenses as you can get the odd unsharp copy. Generally grey imports are sent overseas for repair, whether by you or the retailer so repairs are slooooow

AdamJL
13-07-2010, 9:40am
90% of my kit has been purchased online

It's safe, and secure these days, so long as you do your research on the seller.

ricktas
13-07-2010, 11:12am
The lowest online prices will be "grey imports" which means no factory warranty as they are not purchased through the local distributor. Something to consider, especially with lenses as you can get the odd unsharp copy. Generally grey imports are sent overseas for repair, whether by you or the retailer so repairs are slooooow

Most lenses have international warranties (unlike camera bodies). And even Canon/Nikon are slow at repairs. It generally takes at least a month to get your gear back from the official service too.

Watchamacallit
13-07-2010, 2:14pm
Most lenses have international warranties (unlike camera bodies). And even Canon/Nikon are slow at repairs. It generally takes at least a month to get your gear back from the official service too.

Very true. For me, took two weeks before they actually finalised the quote (they were waiting on a part, which they didn't end up using anyway) and then another 1.5 weeks before I had it back in my grubby little mitts.

That being said, no issues with the repairs :th3:

simonw
13-07-2010, 2:20pm
A lot of on-line businesses use a process called drop shipping where they advertise a product they know they can get, then order it from their supplier when you have paid, and get them to ship it directly to you.

This is why they can be so cheap - they have barely any expenses compared to a shop. It also explains the out of stock situation

AdamJL
13-07-2010, 2:21pm
If you are a Canon CPS member, in the UK, you get your gear back within a week generally, sometimes quicker.

Here in Australia, I took my 500 f/4 in for service as it got dented in the hold of a plane (don't ask) and they fixed it for me in 15 minutes while I waited.

For free

And cleaned my lens (front and back)

And cleaned my MK IV sensor

Did I mention it was all free?

And I'm not a CPS member in Aus either.

So the moral of the story is, YMMV :)

TAYLORW619
13-07-2010, 10:46pm
I buy my gear grey market and have saved massive amounts of money. I am currently looking at buying a new bag, and even on something like this I can save a decent amount.