PDA

View Full Version : Which UV filter

justinharwoodran
11-07-2010, 8:14pm
Im still learning and I have a few questions with filters. I not ready to start playing with different types yet but I need some protection on the front of my lenes. I'm thinking an entry level standard UV filter will do the trick. I need 49mm, 52mm and a 55mm

1. Should I have a UV filter on at all times to protect?

2. What brand do I buy? They seem to range in price on Ebay from $5 (China special) to $22 (Hoya HMC UV) and then go up in price for the pro models which don't interst me

JH

Brian500au
11-07-2010, 8:25pm
Hi Justin,

There is probably no more subject that causes more divided opinion than the one of "do I need a filter". As for me I am 50/50 - sometimes yes, sometimes no - depends on the situation and whether I have one in my bag that fits.

Try this link for a good read about UV filters and then you will be in a better position to make up your own mind.

http://lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

justinharwoodran
11-07-2010, 8:47pm
That was a good read Brian. Funny the Hoya HMC won the test. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

ricktas
11-07-2010, 8:50pm
Have a read of this thread : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7832

Xenedis
11-07-2010, 9:38pm
I need some protection on the front of my lenes. I'm thinking an entry level standard UV filter will do the trick.

My advice is not to bother with UV filters except in extreme circumstances such as very dusty environments or places where other debris can be a problem (such as near a metal lathe).

The best protection you can offer your lenses is a hood when you're shooting, and lens caps when you're not.

UV filters can be problematic when shooting at point sources of light, as ghosting and flaring can occur. I have seen it happen even with multi-coated filters.

As has been said, the filter vs. no filter debate is very contentious, and I'm firmly in the "no" camp on that matter; but either way, it's important to understand what filters will and will not do.