PDA

View Full Version : Help with Infrared photography

Mezz
10-07-2010, 9:24pm
Hi,
I have just got myself a Infared filter for my Nikon D3000 ( but still waiting for the filter to arrive) and I was wanting to know how to get good shots with the filter and what setting would be best to have my camera on Im thinking that I want to play around with landscapes.
Any help would be great thanks

ricktas
10-07-2010, 10:29pm
you may find using the IR filter doesn't wield the results you hoped for. Most digital SLR have a filter over the sensor, one of the roles of this filter is to get rid of IR spectrum light. The reason for this is that IR light can affect the quality of the final image captured on the sensor. Some DSLR are more able to accept IR than others, it all depends on the filter on the sensor.

Most IR digital photography is done where this filter is replaced with an IR one, rather than placing a filter on the lens.

Now, IR photography is great fun and can result in some terrific photos. Trees end up showing as stunning white, and the sky is usually dark, to almost black. Taking shots is no different to taking any other landscape photography, just that the IR result is somewhat different. So there is no special technique that is needed to obtain good IR landscapes.

I hope your D3000 produces good results with the filter you have purchased, but if it doesn't get you what you were hoping for, then sadly it is probably that the D3000 is not a good IR camera to use.

The company here (http://khromagery.com.au/ir_conversions.html), used to do IR conversions, but sadly they have stopped doing so. I own a Canon that was converted to IR by them. I am not aware of anyone else doing it in Aus. They have some good info here (http://khromagery.com.au/digital_ir.html) on using IR filters, without getting your DSLR converted

chrisprendergast
11-07-2010, 9:43am
Well I don't know much about this either but ricktas covered all the bases it seems

StanW
11-07-2010, 10:51am
The alternative is to get an older slr and use IR film. It's obtainable from B&H and from several firms in England. You'll need an tripod and an 89B filter. Exposure is hard to predict, but bracketing will get some usable images.

chamellieon
12-07-2010, 11:05am
Contrary to popular belief, you can still shoot digital IR without having to have your camera modified. Yes the filter does actually work.

However, having had a D3000 myself for a few months, I can tell you right now you'll have some issues with noise, exposure time and focusing.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, however, on a mid-range ISO (say around 400), you'll need a remote release cable as your exposures will be around the 3-minute mark, due to the sensor quality of this camera.

My D3000 had to compose the shot without the filter, switch the camera to Manual focus, and then screw on the IR filter, and "guesstimate" the exposure times by trial and error. Keep your aperture as wide as possible and shoot in full sunlight - as this is when the IR is at its best.

Good luck, drop me a line if you want more info.

Mezz
12-07-2010, 2:40pm
Thanks for all your advice, Ill give it a go when my filter turns up

joeyvaldezjr
12-07-2010, 8:44pm
plus use a tripod. ;)

Kerry
09-08-2010, 1:14am
Just stumbled upon this thread whilst doing a search on infrared photography as I'm considering having my 350D converted..Camera Clinic in Melbourne (Collingwood) do conversions..Here's the link just in case you're interested:
http://www.cameraclinic.com.au/spectral-modifications.html
Would love to see some pics if you've had a chance to play with your filter! :)

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 12:42pm
Hi,
I have just got myself a Infared filter for my Nikon D3000 ( but still waiting for the filter to arrive) and I was wanting to know how to get good shots with the filter and what setting would be best to have my camera on Im thinking that I want to play around with landscapes.
Any help would be great thanks

Which filter did you get? Am.

Mezz
10-08-2010, 1:01pm
Just stumbled upon this thread whilst doing a search on infrared photography as I'm considering having my 350D converted..Camera Clinic in Melbourne (Collingwood) do conversions..Here's the link just in case you're interested:

Thanks Kerry, Ive had a bit of a play with the filter but Im getting a blue patch down one side of my photos, not sure what it is and have re-cleand my lenses??? so not ready to show my photos yet till I can work out what is going on

Mezz
10-08-2010, 1:04pm
Which filter did you get? Am.

Hi, I got IR950 think I got it to Dark need to set it for about 5 mins before your pic comes up

ameerat42
10-08-2010, 1:19pm
Thanks Kerry, Ive had a bit of a play with the filter but Im getting a blue patch down one side of my photos, not sure what it is and have re-cleand my lenses??? so not ready to show my photos yet till I can work out what is going on

Why? That's what we're here 4!!! Post the "bad" ones and we'll (try to) help you with them. OK, so don't put them in the "Not For Critique" forum. Say something about what you were trying to do and post a shot of it. I'm waiting to see the results. Am.

Mezz
10-08-2010, 1:44pm
Why? That's what we're here 4!!! Post the "bad" ones and we'll (try to) help you with them. OK, so don't put them in the "Not For Critique" forum. Say something about what you were trying to do and post a shot of it. I'm waiting to see the results. Am.

hehehehe Thanks I just have to work out how to post a photo havent done that on hear before

colinbm
10-08-2010, 2:01pm
Hi Mezz
I have a clear converted Canon S2IS & I use a R720 with good results & quick, even hand-held.
I would love to be able to afford a R950 :-(
Yes for an unconverted camera R950 would be very slow.
I have posted in the Sundry forum under 'IR therefore I am'.
Cheers
Col

Mezz
10-08-2010, 2:13pm
Hi Mezz
I have a clear converted Canon S2IS & I use a R720 with good results & quick, even hand-held.
I would love to be able to afford a R950 :-(
Yes for an unconverted camera R950 would be very slow.
I have posted in the Sundry forum under 'IR therefore I am'.
Cheers
Col

Hi Col, Im thinking I should have got the R720, I got my R950 off ebay and I think I only payed about $14, what ever it was it was cheep with free post, but it did come from Hong Kong, still does the job but There is a mark that appers on my photos in the same spot every time( only the IR ones).

Star Catcher
12-08-2010, 2:00pm
I have just had my Canon 40D converted by *removed - members with under 50 posts cannot promote commercial enterprises on Ausphotography _ see the site rules : Admin *, and can say they do a magnificent job! They ripped out the IR blocking filter and replaced it with a Full Spectrum filter which allows me to capture light from the UV (240Nm) to Ir (1100Nm). I have ordered a B+ W UV/IR (486) 77mm filter from *removed - members with under 50 posts cannot promote commercial enterprises on Ausphotography _ see the site rules : Admin * and a Hoya R72 IR filter. The former is used over the lens with that camera to bring back the original colour BEFORE the removal of the IR blocking filter. The Hoya R72 IR filter will be used for SFX and Astro photography. If you are using IR filters and you have the camera's IR removed, use the LIVE VIEW which allows you to compose and focus the image, as you are using the chip not the flip mirror, to see the image. If you don;t have a Live View, then make sure you turn the lens focus ring to the RED markings which are set for IR photography. Exposure will depends on the lighting conditions. Use a tripod and don't try imaging anything moving fast like runners, sports etc. Trees swaying in the wind.... running water like a waterfall or fountain... moonlight over a forest or water, flowers, birds.... the list is endless. IR opens up a whole new world of creativeness. We all have that within. It just needs that inner person to get out and explore this wonderful world of IR - colour or mono photography.

warhammer
13-10-2010, 9:59pm
i have been interested in IR for a while but still have not got a filter, you should check this link to Allon Kira out he is a king with IR and he explains how to get results like he does.
http://www.pbase.com/allonkira/infrared
hope it helps....

mickyj
18-10-2010, 11:15pm

I am loving my 350D with conversion :)