PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

pearson
10-07-2010, 5:38pm
G'day everyone. Can anyone help me out with regards to a decent tripod/monopod setup. I don't want to pay the earth but I would like one that will allow me to take clear long exposure shots. All advice welcome. Thanks

ricktas
10-07-2010, 5:44pm
the manfrotto 190 XproB is a good unit for the price, team it up with the head of your choice and you should do well. You will probably pay under $300.00 all up (depending on the head you decide on). Ausphotography advertiser www.qualitycamera.com.au have it as a special (with a head) for $299.00, on this page (http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/tripods-heads-manfrotto-series-c-25_56_294.html) of their site

pearson
10-07-2010, 5:47pm
Excellent! Many thanks. I'll look it up. It sounds like the right kind of price range for me.

Luna-blu
10-07-2010, 6:21pm
I have a 190xprob and love it, I have 222 trigger grip head that I use on it for action and prefer that set up over a monopod, one hand on the shutter the other on the trigger.

pearson
10-07-2010, 7:49pm
Is the 222 trigger grip a Manfrotto product?

Luna-blu
10-07-2010, 7:56pm
yep sure is http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2311

pearson
10-07-2010, 8:00pm
Sweet. I've just found some info on it too. Looks like a good bit of gear. I will definitely be having a look at one. Thanks for your help.

JorgD
10-07-2010, 8:53pm
I use Manfrotto as well. The solidity and steadiness of the tripod is great and I use it for macro photography too as the central shaft that goes up and down can also go horizontal so you can place the camera looking down on a table. I probably should have gone for the carbon fibre version of it, as lugging it around on long walks is a bit painful due to its weight.

Leeston
10-07-2010, 8:58pm
I can certainly back up the recommendations for Manfrotto 190xproB, great bit of kit and I feel it will do the job for you if you get the right head for your needs.

mongo
10-07-2010, 9:37pm
Rick’s suggestion is good. However, Mongo would also look at the Benro (not Benbow) range which offers great value and variety .
“Photo Shop Studio” sells this range and they are located at ground floor, 78 Liverpool Street
Sydney.
Sorry do not have their phone number. You can see the whole range, specs and prices on their website.

joele
10-07-2010, 9:51pm
I use the suggested tripod (190XB Tripod with 804RC2) it is pretty decent... Which head type you use depends on what you do, I like the pan and tilt head for landscape shots.

I also have the their monopod (manfrotto 681B) which is very sturdy, with the "Manfrotto 234RC Quick Release Tilt Head" which uses the same plates as the tripod.

ausguitarman
10-07-2010, 11:50pm
Rick’s suggestion is good. However, Mongo would also look at the Benro (not Benbow) range which offers great value and variety .
“Photo Shop Studio” sells this range and they are located at ground floor, 78 Liverpool Street
Sydney.
Sorry do not have their phone number. You can see the whole range, specs and prices on their website.

Got a couple of Benro products now (as well as Manfrotto and Slik) and there great bang for your buck. When traveling I take the Benro tripod, monopod and ball head as they all fit nicely into the bag the tripod came with and it fits into luggage nicely.

They've moved to 325 Parramatta Rd Leichhardt.