PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Filters!

Jacs14
10-07-2010, 3:23pm
HHmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! not happy :action: ... just got back from Photo Continential, all excited with my ND Grads .... to get home and open them and they're not graduated they're ND8,4,2 solid filters!!! I was planning on using them tomorrow for a SEQ meet up for sunrise at Point Arkwright. Pt Arkwright is a rock beach area, any ideas if I can still use these in some way for tomorrow.

Philr
10-07-2010, 4:41pm
You sure can! You can use them by themselves or stack them and you will still get a longish exposure after the sun has risen. Still a good purchase:th3: If you exclude the sun from the shots you will get away without using ND Grads. They will also be handy just before the sun has risen as you can add time to the exposure as well depending on what look you are after.

peterb666
10-07-2010, 4:42pm
You will need a mix of grads and GNDs to get the best out of sunrise/sunset seascapes so it it is your stuff up, not all is wasted.

Jacs14
10-07-2010, 5:15pm
Thanks ... at least it won't be a waste ... will still have a play with them tomorrow then!!

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 5:16pm
If you asked for Grads then I'd take them back and get the grads that you asked for!

I wouldn't use them on the basis that if you did want to return them and you unwittingly marked them in some way, returning them would be much harder if not impossible.

Yeah, you can make use of an ND filter in specific situations, but there are many ways to expose a scene without the need to use them.

I'd at least go back and get myself the ND8(3stop) and ND4(2stop) grads, but not the ND2.. they're not as useful as it's only 1 stop and that one stop can be 'processed' easily with a raw file.
Sure, it could be handy to have the ability to create a 4 stop or 6 stop graduated combination but in general working with two stop increments can be enough.
(if you want to delve into film exposures though, the extra level of fine tuning by stacking them or even that one single stop of difference can make a world of difference).

So getting the ND2 grad is entirely your choice.

I'm curious Jacs, did you get Cokins? if so did you get the holders and adapter rings ...etc?
Did you get a CPL?

go back as soon as practical and replace the solid ND2 and 4 with a pair of gradded ND8 and ND4. Note that they're more expensive in graduated form.

Jacs14
10-07-2010, 6:55pm
If you asked for Grads then I'd take them back and get the grads that you asked for!

I wouldn't use them on the basis that if you did want to return them and you unwittingly marked them in some way, returning them would be much harder if not impossible.

Yeah, you can make use of an ND filter in specific situations, but there are many ways to expose a scene without the need to use them.

I'd at least go back and get myself the ND8(3stop) and ND4(2stop) grads, but not the ND2.. they're not as useful as it's only 1 stop and that one stop can be 'processed' easily with a raw file.
Sure, it could be handy to have the ability to create a 4 stop or 6 stop graduated combination but in general working with two stop increments can be enough.
(if you want to delve into film exposures though, the extra level of fine tuning by stacking them or even that one single stop of difference can make a world of difference).

So getting the ND2 grad is entirely your choice.

I'm curious Jacs, did you get Cokins? if so did you get the holders and adapter rings ...etc?
Did you get a CPL?

go back as soon as practical and replace the solid ND2 and 4 with a pair of gradded ND8 and ND4. Note that they're more expensive in graduated form.

good point, the mentor programme has already started :) ... think I will do that .... get the ND grad set, and maybe also a ND8 ... I've done a little bit of research and actually going a round about way with this ... I eventually want to get Lee filters as they definately seem to be rated the best, but not cheap, however they are a lot cheaper in the UK especially with the exchange rate at the moment, my Dad lives in the UK and is coming over in about 7-8 months!! so guess where I'm getting them!!! Photo Continential are now doing their own brand, which are meant to be on a similar level to Cokin, and I know of 2 people that have them are quite happy with them, plus they are a lot cheaper, the grad set, ring adapter and holder and hood cost me $83 ... so really I am only want to use them and practice to work out what to get in the Lee range.
Hopefully I will get a couple of good shots tomorrow still and will post and let you know to get your feedback

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 9:07pm
:th3: