PDA

View Full Version : How do I see what settings people have used in their pictures?

alacrity
09-07-2010, 9:55pm
I am wondering if there is a way of seeing what settings are used for peoples pictures without asking everyone individually?

rattle
09-07-2010, 10:32pm
Hi alacrity.

I'm only new here, so I don't have the best answer for you, but one thing I only noticed yesterday is that some photos posted by people are able to be clicked on and that takes you to their page, say flickr for example and that will have all the info if they have opted to have it displayed.

Hope that helps.:)

Xenedis
09-07-2010, 10:33pm
I am wondering if there is a way of seeing what settings are used for peoples pictures without asking everyone individually?

If the EXIF data (containing exposure settings amongst a lot of other information) is embedded in the JPG, you can save a copy and look at the image with whatever software you use. Adobe Bridge displays EXIF data for JPGs, and there are plenty of other apps which also do so.

The AP forum itself doesn't natively display EXIF data.

Some people post their exposure settings with their images.

GlennSan
09-07-2010, 10:39pm
I use Firefox as my browser and I've added the EXIF add-on. This allows me to right-click on a displayed image and choose "Show Exif data".

Note that some posted images will NOT have EXIF data embedded in them.

Xenedis
09-07-2010, 10:42pm
Note that some posted images will NOT have EXIF data embedded in them.

There are three general reasons for that:

the owner has deliberately suppressed EXIF data;
the software which saved the JPG is very old and doesn't support EXIF; or
a "save for Web" option has been chosen, which strips EXIF data to keep files smaller.

Kym
09-07-2010, 11:29pm
We strip EXIF from anonymous comp entires.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4674 Firefox EXIF viewer

TOM
09-07-2010, 11:54pm
There are three general reasons for that:

1. the owner has deliberately suppressed EXIF data;
2. the software which saved the JPG is very old and doesn't support EXIF; or
3. a "save for Web" option has been chosen, which strips EXIF data to keep files smaller.

another reason is that images shot with film won't have exif data by default

Xenedis
10-07-2010, 12:06am

This is obviously an outrage.

What idiot decided not to include EXIF data in fillum? :-)

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 12:16am

EXIF data can easily be manufactured tho! :D
(I'm going to give it a shot one day, just to prove my theory)

bigdazzler
10-07-2010, 10:51am
There is another program for mac users called Exif Everywhere (http://www.exifeverywhere.com/) .. You just point to the image in the thread with your cursor and hit the Control key and then an exif box pops up with all the info youll ever need. This is of course provided the exif hasnt been stripped for any of the reasons outlined above.

This ones not free though, costs about $18AUD.

..... or ......

you could just use Firefox instead of Safari and use the plugin :D

Kym
10-07-2010, 11:44am

After scanning.... http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html :th3:

This is obviously an outrage.
What idiot decided not to include EXIF data in fillum? :-)

:Doh: :lol2:

EXIF data can easily be manufactured tho! :D
(I'm going to give it a shot one day, just to prove my theory)

See above.

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 11:46am
Another thing to note about 'absent' exif data too!

Sometimes an image may be linked too from an external site, such as Flickr or Pbase or wherever, and with using these exif viewers, you may not be able to see the exif directly from here.

Sometimes if you follow the link to the image directly from the site it's hosted on, you can then use the exif viewer and it may be present in the image.

I get that situation a lot.

if the exif isn't present in the image directly off the site it's hosted on, then there's a very high chance that it's been stripped.

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 12:07pm
Shouldn't be to hard to read the exif data in this one:

exif data added with the use of ExifMixer(an ExifTool GUI front end).
I'm not sure what parameters to use to add the actual aperture value used for the shot, but once I figure that out, I'll add them in too.

arthurking83
10-07-2010, 1:04pm
Same image, edited again with added 'EXIF' info, using the same program:

are the differences obvious?

note: I can't figure out how to add exif data to a film image with the Exifer program, nor with the use of ExifToolGUI, but it's a lot more intuitive using ExifMixer, except for one glaring issue! Adding exif data to individual files. It appears to work only in batch lots on the entire folder. Good for wholesale data such as camera brand film type and so forth, but exposure variables such as aperture and shutter speeds can vary. That's what I added to the second image.

Kimbolina
25-07-2010, 7:58pm
wow that worked, thanks GlennSan :)

ricktas
25-07-2010, 8:07pm
Depending on your browser you need to find a compatible add-on, that display EXIF data. Just google your brower and EXIF add-on eg "Firefox EXIF add-on" or in your browser find the add-on menu item from the very top drop down menu's and search for EXIF in there. Once installed they will allow you to view lots of detailed EXIF information about photos, as long as the member has included it. If they haven't, along with your critique of their photo, ask them about the settings used, most members are happy to oblige and provide them when asked.

GlennSan
26-07-2010, 10:36pm
Another thing to note about 'absent' exif data too!

Sometimes an image may be linked too from an external site, such as Flickr or Pbase or wherever, and with using these exif viewers, you may not be able to see the exif directly from here.

Arthur, I only recently learned that my Flickr images that I linked to posts on AP did NOT show EXIF because I was using the "Large" image (which strips EXIF data.) Since that epiphany, I now only link to the "Original Size image", which is usually the same pixel count as the "Large" image but retains the EXIF data. Go figure ... :confused013

BradGC
03-08-2010, 12:51pm
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

A really nice and simple page that displays exif

Cage
03-08-2010, 1:34pm
I'm now using Firefox as my AP browser plus the EXIF add-on.

Thanks GlenSan :wd:

Cheers

Kevin