PDA

View Full Version : D700 - water resistance level?

arnica
09-07-2010, 4:38pm
Hi Guys,

I've been searching on google to see how much water resistance the D700 has. Does anyone know or can shed some light on this for me?

I understand that some cameras can withstand a little bit of moisture, but wanted to find out more on the D700 in particular.

kiwi
09-07-2010, 4:43pm
Supposedly its good. I have a D3 which I think is probably similar and i dont have an issue being out in moderate rain for 10 minutes etc, any more Id use a raincover

http://www.jimreedphoto.com/content.html?page=5

arnica
09-07-2010, 4:56pm
Supposedly its good. I have a D3 which I think is probably similar and i dont have an issue being out in moderate rain for 10 minutes etc, any more Id use a raincover

http://www.jimreedphoto.com/content.html?page=5

Thanks Mate!

How good is that picture of the tog chasing the cyclone

I've got a rain cover for the camera, but I prefer not to use it because I can focus properly with the cover over the lens body

arthurking83
09-07-2010, 5:05pm
Unless your lens is weather sealed, I'd be more worried about the lens, rather than the D700.

D700 can withstand more than the average lens can.

I reckon as per Kiwi's post, but I haven't pushed my D300 more than that.. maybe 5 mins or so waiting for drizzle to dissipate while camera and lens sits on tripod.

arnica
09-07-2010, 5:10pm
Unless your lens is weather sealed, I'd be more worried about the lens, rather than the D700.

D700 can withstand more than the average lens can.

I reckon as per Kiwi's post, but I haven't pushed my D300 more than that.. maybe 5 mins or so waiting for drizzle to dissipate while camera and lens sits on tripod.

Any idea on the following 2 lenses?

24-70mm and the 70-200mm (vr2)

arthurking83
09-07-2010, 5:12pm
:p

OK, OK... you got me :o

Both very well sealed against the elements(apparently) ...LOL!

arnica
09-07-2010, 5:15pm
I remember the days where I had to prepare the night before going out for a shoot all the plastic bags and the elastic bands as a make shift rain coat ....

I read up on a forum where some one asked if they could take their SLR underwater? ... ###?!!!

I @ M
09-07-2010, 5:15pm
I haven't tested the D700 at all as far as rain goes but I did have one of our D200s with a Sigma 24-70 attached + SB800 absolutely drenched ( yes, drenched is the appropriate word ) out in horrible rain for about 2 - 3 hours a year or so ago and just hiding it inside a jacket and regular external wiping in between photos saw it come through without any dramas at all.
I can't see why the D700 would be any less capable camera and as Arthur said, I would be more concerned about the lens weather sealing or at least the lens to mount seal if it isn't one with a gasket.
The only part that I don't like when comparing the bodies is the CF card door, the D700 seems like a step backward to me but hey, who am I to know. :confused013

arnica
09-07-2010, 5:19pm
the D700 seems like a step backward to me but hey, who am I to know. :confused013

Very true .. the CF door is very weak in a sense where there isn't any protection for the card if it were to spring open. and it does open quite easily.