PDA

View Full Version : just to show you don't always need expensive gear..

NGP
07-07-2010, 10:42pm
an iPhone will do.. BUT the right lighting techniques can still make or break a shot..

video:
TOoGjtSy7xY

full story:
http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Ray Heath
07-07-2010, 11:58pm
Hmm

What about the 10s of thousands of dollars worth of studio equipment and the professional model, make up artist and re-toucher.

No you don't need expensive gear, a box Brownie would have captured a good image under those conditions.

peterking
08-07-2010, 12:01am
Very interesting.
I think it really shows what can be done when you really know what you are doing.
Who knows.
Maybe I can get that good one day.
Yeah Right!

draco
08-07-2010, 1:19am
it's all about the light .... :D
and the model, and the make-up artist and the software retouch and the printer, etc. etc. etc...
and the skill :D

Ed Downunder
08-07-2010, 1:57am
It would be interesting if he took his iphone and did a wedding!!

It demonstrates that the camera is but one component.

NGP
08-07-2010, 2:04am
yeah yeah I know.. as I've mentioned on an other forum; he did mainly use two flood lights shining through the octabox for the final full body shots which cost him US$50 each.. and the other flashes were only running the modeling lights (except in the beginning where he used additional hot lights), which you could put together with a DIY job. obviously there is still some restriction on the quality of the iPhone and lights when not using flash.. it is quite clear that you will achieve better results with better gear, but it's a good example that even with minimal spec'ed cameras and reasonable lighting techniques you can achieve good results (and cough cough photoshopping cough).. just remember people lighting is an important factor in photography.. flat lighting = (un)flat(tering) image

Analog6
08-07-2010, 6:57am
I've shot some quite reasonable pics of my cats with the iPhone where I had good strong afternoon light coming into the room. Poor conditions = poor results. It's a tool, just like any other camera.

Interesting link, thanks for posting.

bigdazzler
08-07-2010, 9:41am
an iPhone will do.. BUT the right lighting techniques can still make or break a shot..

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY&feature=player_embedded

full story:
http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

I posted this a couple of days ago here. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=61135)

MarkChap
08-07-2010, 10:01am
yeah yeah I know.. as I've mentioned on an other forum; he did mainly use two flood lights shining through the octabox for the final full body shots which cost him US$50 each.. and the other flashes were only running the modeling lights (except in the beginning where he used additional hot lights), which you could put together with a DIY job. obviously there is still some restriction on the quality of the iPhone and lights when not using flash.. it is quite clear that you will achieve better results with better gear, but it's a good example that even with minimal spec'ed cameras and reasonable lighting techniques you can achieve good results (and cough cough photoshopping cough).. just remember people lighting is an important factor in photography.. flat lighting = (un)flat(tering) image

The lights may have cost $50.00 but I will bet the octabox and other modifiers didn't cost $50.00 ??

chrisprendergast
08-07-2010, 4:17pm
Interesting vid

NGP
09-07-2010, 7:47am
The lights may have cost $50.00 but I will bet the octabox and other modifiers didn't cost $50.00 ??

just shoot through white linen ;)

andylo
09-07-2010, 11:17am
Well, if iPhone can sync with flashlights, I guess it can be a good camera too :)

Ray Heath
09-07-2010, 11:32am
G'day all

Perhaps were missing the point. That "you don't always need expensive gear".

A point which may have been better demonstrated if the guy in the video had used window light, a piece of white card and a cell phone.

kwokask
09-07-2010, 5:13pm
But an iPhone is not that cheap... I'm sure most compact cameras would do a better job than an iPhone with the same setup.

NGP
09-07-2010, 6:49pm
But an iPhone is not that cheap... I'm sure most compact cameras would do a better job than an iPhone with the same setup.

mine was free on my business plan, which I need anyway :D.. check out some images of the latest iPhone 4.. they have some comparisons vs P&S cameras and it did quite well.. sure it's no DSLR and stuck with digital zoom.. but things definitely improving..

milspec
09-07-2010, 7:09pm
While yes he is using mega dollars worth of lighting, I think he has brought his point across very well. Very inspirational.

Thanks for sharing.

bigdazzler
09-07-2010, 7:23pm
check out some images of the latest iPhone 4.. they have some comparisons vs P&S cameras and it did quite well.. sure it's no DSLR and stuck with digital zoom.. but things definitely improving..

and its got a flash :eek: imagine that ... a camera with a flash :D

joele
09-07-2010, 9:18pm
He should have done it with an iphone 4 and onboard LED flash... LOL

NGP
09-07-2010, 9:51pm
and its got a flash :eek: imagine that ... a camera with a flash :D

He should have done it with an iphone 4 and onboard LED flash... LOL

eeeek LED phone camera flash :angry34:

bigdazzler
09-07-2010, 10:17pm
I was being facetious Fabian .. hehe :D