PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy ND filters in Melbourne? What style?

BLWNHR
07-07-2010, 7:16pm
I'm flying to Melbourne tomorrow and some plans I had fell through so Im going to have plenty of photography time.

I want to do some long exposure stuff and have been meaning to buy some ND filters for years.

So, where should I look to buy some? Anywhere in the city is fine, I'll have a car.

Next question, slip-in style Cokin or screw on? I was leaning toward screw, but am open to suggestion.

stixstudios
07-07-2010, 11:09pm
Vanbars in Carlton (very close to the city) should have the gear you need.
http://www.vanbar.com.au/

I think they are aimed more at the pro market than Michaels's or Teds so you should get some good advice.

I've never been there or purchased from them but have read good reviews.

I've looked at the Cokin P series (slip ins) for ngrads and will be going that way when I have the funds.
I think it would be easier to compose, then slip in the filter, than to screw one on.

Steve.

Wizofoz
07-07-2010, 11:31pm
Vanbars in Carlton (very close to the city) should have the gear you need.
http://www.vanbar.com.au/

I think they are aimed more at the pro market than Michaels's or Teds so you should get some good advice.

I've never been there or purchased from them but have read good reviews.

I've looked at the Cokin P series (slip ins) for ngrads and will be going that way when I have the funds.
I think it would be easier to compose, then slip in the filter, than to screw one on.

Steve.

Agreed Steve. I too have never been, but heard lots of good things about Vanbars. Failing that' Michael's in Lonsdale street will have just about everything you need , but at full retail price- be prepared to bargain, and know what your prices are!- and the camera museum upstairs is worth the visit. Be prepared to drool!

rellik666
08-07-2010, 8:09am
Vanbar is an interesting place, I would call beforehand to see if they have in stock what you are after!

Roo

(interesting in no way means bad! Just not what you would expect!)

Jimbo
08-07-2010, 8:16am
Next question, slip-in style Cokin or screw on? I was leaning toward screw, but am open to suggestion.

Slip in, don't buy screw-ons. Screw ons mean that the filter always starts halfway up the frame, which makes composition hard if you're placing the horizon on the bottom/top third of the frame.

EDIT: this is assuming you're buying ND grads. If you're just buying straight NDs, then get either style.

fisher
09-07-2010, 2:26pm
Hi Steve , Was looking around E-bay and for the Cokin P series holders and slip in ND Grads not that expensive or am I looking at the wrong/cheaper items.

Cheers Glen

stixstudios
11-07-2010, 12:07am
From memory around $150 for the holder & 3 filters - Not so expensive.

This thread from a month or so ago might have some useful info.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59305

Steve.

BLWNHR
12-07-2010, 5:20pm
Vanbar is an interesting place

snip

(interesting in no way means bad! Just not what you would expect!)

How so? Seemed like a pretty regular store, except everyone had great porduct knowledge and were really helpful.

EDIT: this is assuming you're buying ND grads. If you're just buying straight NDs, then get either style.

Yeah, wasn't talking grads, only ND's.

Cokin P series holders and slip in ND Grads not that expensive

They aren't. I picked up a Cokin P, Cokin P wide-angle, 77mm adapter ring and ND4 Grad for ~$80 in a Melbourne retail store.

Also had a big win in the form of a Hoya Pro ND8 for $15!