PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 18-125 f3.8-5.6 EX DG

rwg717
06-07-2010, 5:28pm
Wondering if any members had experience with the Canon mount Sigma 18-125mm EX DG as a general purpose lens? The fact that it is not an f2.8 lens wouldn't matter to me, I was just interested in your views on this and perhaps an alternative lens of the same or another maker?
Richard

JM Tran
06-07-2010, 6:15pm
I have one here in Pentax mount, its a very decent travel lens and with decent sharpness too - basically nothing is exceptional about it but nothing is that bad about it. Only thing I can point out is the typical warm Sigma colour cast associated with some of their zoom lenses sometimes.

rwg717
07-07-2010, 7:54pm
I have one here in Pentax mount, its a very decent travel lens and with decent sharpness too - basically nothing is exceptional about it but nothing is that bad about it. Only thing I can point out is the typical warm Sigma colour cast associated with some of their zoom lenses sometimes.

Thanks for this post, after I posted the initial thread I did a bit more research on this lens and the reviews I saw were far from glowing although not all that bad. Interesting comment about the warm colour cast, I had not heard of this before, I guess this could be corrected with the white balance settings?:confused013

Anyway I will give it a bit more research before I decide what to buy, thanks again:D
Richard

rwg717
07-07-2010, 10:07pm
Wondering now if any AP members had experience with the Tamron 28-75 as a general purpose lens, research on the Sigma mentioned above is not stacking up all that well and not sure which way to go now?:confused013

Some reviews show the Canon 28-135mm to be as good or better (than Tamron) and is an IS model at about the same money....any ideas folks:D
Richard