PDA

View Full Version : Filter question for landscape

makro
06-07-2010, 2:43pm
Hi,

I am looking to purchase filters for landscape photography for an overseas trip and I wanted to get some advice from the group.

Filter size is 77mm for my lenses and one of my lenses that I will be using is a EFS 10-22

I am looking at getting the following

1. Circular Polarizer
2. Neutral Density - for waterfalls
3. Neutral Density Grad - for sunset/rises

My questions

Do I go for 4x4 or 4x6 sizes for the NDs
For the NDs I already have the cheap ebay holders (Cokin P-Series), will this work if I get lets say the singh-ray filters
What strengts of the NDs (2,4.. ets stop) and Grad NDs (2,4.. ets stop) should I go for
for the Grad ND I am looking at getting the Hard version since I am main looking at taking sunrise/sets will this be ok
Which is a good brand of filters to buy, I am an advocate of buy once and I have heard of certain brands having colour casts
Any reputable web sites to get the above?

A bit longwinded, but thanks for reading through and giving your input. :)

andylo
06-07-2010, 3:36pm
I am not expert but I have gone thru the path of:

1) Hoya Pro1Ds
2) Cokin P series
3) Cokin Z-Pro (never forget the night when missus accidentally saw it: "Not another f%^&ing filter set!!)

I will go the 100x100mm (100x150mm for ND Grad) option.

The P series will get bad vignette (spelling??) below 16mm (if you have UV/protection filter on) or 14mm without.

The Z-Pro only got black corners below 12mm. (Which to me is a whole heap of difference)

screw on - don't bother IMO

No matter what set you get, make sure to get the one includes ND4 and ND8 (or ND-G 4/ND-G8). I have the ND2s but they are still in brand new condition.

With Singh-Ray... as long as it stated it fits the P-series, I am 99% sure it will fit. Its the Lee's you need to worry about (minimum size 100m plus)

Hard Grad is good. Personally find Soft Grad is not overly useful.

Ultimately I will get myself a set of Lee's. (Most recommended for quality) I believe B&W is also very good with good price. Singh is a bit more expensive.

Don't know any good site for filters. I just use shopbot.com.au when needed :p

My 2c - and I am only a beginner!

ricktas
06-07-2010, 4:15pm
Agree with Andy. At 10mm even the Z-Pro system will vignette the corners, but the smaller filter systems will increase that vignetting. Polarisers can be screw on type, cause the Z-Pro one is several hundreds of $$$.

The benefit of the Z-Pro Cokin system is that it is the same size as the Lee system and the Lee filters (recognised as some of the best filters in the world) will fit it. The Lee filter holder is a LOT more expensive than the Cokin Z-Pro holder.

I think your selection of polariser. ND and NDGrad is a good choice if your holiday is going to involve lots of photography where you are going to have time to setup and get the shots.

Papou
06-07-2010, 4:18pm
Hope i'm not gatecrashing on your query:), but i was just about to ask "How many people here use a polarising filter for dayslight shooting" most times??.
Do or dont??..

ricktas
06-07-2010, 4:20pm
I use my polariser a LOT. However, if you are going to take several shots and stitch them as a pano, take it off. Polarisers work based on the angle they are to the sun. As you pan around for each shot for your pano, your angle to the sun changes and the result will be a pano with light and dark 'stripes' across the sky as the polariser effect changes with each frame stitched into the pano

makro
06-07-2010, 6:53pm
thanks for the quick responses Andy and Rick.

Taking on board the above, I am leaning towards the Lee system ( hopeful the CWO - chief wife officer will approve) with the Cokin Z PRo for the holder.

A follow on question re the Hard Grad ND- what strenghts should I be looking at?

ricktas
06-07-2010, 7:19pm
I have ND2, 4, 8 and that covers most of what you would need.

makro
06-07-2010, 9:51pm
Hi Rick ,

I am assuming you mean Grad ND 2,4,8. Is this equivalent to the Lee 4x6 ND filters ND0.3, ND0.6 and ND0.9 ?

ricktas
06-07-2010, 9:54pm
oops missed a bit from my post. I have ND 2/4/8 and NDGrad 2/4/8 - Yes they are the same as the point system that Lee uses. Cokin's system for me, is a more appropriate nomenclature cause they related to F-Stops. A Cokin ND2 is a 2 stop filter, a ND8 is an 8 stop filter, etc.

tomtom1
06-07-2010, 11:07pm
Hi,
My questions

Do I go for 4x4 or 4x6 sizes for the NDs
For the NDs I already have the cheap ebay holders (Cokin P-Series), will this work if I get lets say the singh-ray filters
What strengts of the NDs (2,4.. ets stop) and Grad NDs (2,4.. ets stop) should I go for
for the Grad ND I am looking at getting the Hard version since I am main looking at taking sunrise/sets will this be ok
Which is a good brand of filters to buy, I am an advocate of buy once and I have heard of certain brands having colour casts
Any reputable web sites to get the above?

A bit longwinded, but thanks for reading through and giving your input. :)

1. Different systems accept different width of filter. Cokin P has 84mm width, while Z-pro/Lee accept 100mm wide filters. The two sizes you mention are suitable for a Lee holder. Generally solid filters will come in 4x4 (square) as you don't have to slide them up and down, while grads come in a more rectangular shape for the opposite reason. One brand makes 4x5" filters (Hitech), which are comparable to 4x6, just not as long.

2. Singh ray make P sized filters so this holder should be ok if you choose to go down this route.

3. Forget 1 stop. If you get 4x6 grads they can usually double up as solid NDs by sliding them down in the holder. Generally people recommend 2 stop soft, 3 stop hard and soft. If you're into long exposures then a strong solid ND (eg. 5 stops) would be good.

4. Soft is probably more versatile but it's good to have both. The fact it's sunrise doesn't really matter, it's more about what you have on the horizon, and how level (eg. trees, mountains vs ocean). Optimal sunrise filter is a reverse GND, but this also has a hard transition, and expensive.

5. Top range - Lee and Singh Ray, Mid range - Hitech, Budget - Cokin

They all have colour cast if you stack enough ND filtration, but the better ones might hold out a bit more.

6. Generally direct from their websites. Mediavision are an Australian supplier of Lee at reasonable prices.

tomtom1
06-07-2010, 11:11pm
Oh I should mention a polarizer is important so get that first.

You can also handhold grads over it and forget the holder $$

tomtom1
06-07-2010, 11:21pm
oops missed a bit from my post. I have ND 2/4/8 and NDGrad 2/4/8 - Yes they are the same as the point system that Lee uses. Cokin's system for me, is a more appropriate nomenclature cause they related to F-Stops. A Cokin ND2 is a 2 stop filter, a ND8 is an 8 stop filter, etc.

I believe it's ND2 = 1 stop, ND4 = 2 stops, ND8 = 3 stops (1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 of light respectively)

Lee uses a logarithmic scale log 2, log 4 and log 8 = 0.3, 0.6, 0.9. I have no idea why they do this.

NGP
07-07-2010, 3:45am
I personally don't fuss too much about the ND2.. if on low budget just grab ND4 and ND8.. if you just need to slow down one stop throw on a polarizer.. and of course the grad NDs if you don't want to spend time "bracketing" your exposures and stacking them later in HDR..

David
07-07-2010, 6:48am
Lee filters are indeed extremely difficult to get hold of especially living outside of the UK. You could do worse than have a look at these sites as options -

Mediavision Australia
4 Monash Road
Gladesville
NSW 2111
Tel: 02 9816 4055
Fax: 02 9816 1661
Email: sales@mediavision.com.au

http://www.studiokitdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/Lee_Filters.htm

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/cat.asp?usrID=B9465722-FB20-4C31-A864-5273081A8C0F&prtID=203&orderBy=1&orderDir=ASC&paging=1&start=30&rows=10

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=6&zenid=6eecd1fbc58310c412082c9e5b3dda61

Lee filters are top of the range but can be very exy though :)

makro
12-07-2010, 4:08pm
thanks folks for your inputs.