PDA

View Full Version : YN-468 Flash

bigbaz
06-07-2010, 1:15pm
So i have read a lot on here about the YN-460II, and occasionally about the YN-465, the first can be picked up for about $40, the second for about $80, is it worth going up to $120 to get this unit
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TTL-Flash-YN-468-Canon-550D-500D-450D-Diffuser-AU-/110540414545?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item19bcb8de51

Does anyone have experience with it, do the features on it warrant me spending the extra cash?

Cheers, Baz

Adrian Fischer
06-07-2010, 3:31pm
I have two lessor models (cant recall off hand) that dont have the display on the back. My only criticism is that on one of them the buttons need to be pressed with a pencil (or similar) to get to turn on or change settings. No biggy now that I know that but for a while I thought it had died as it would turn on. So Im saying, maybe the quality isnt as good as my SB600 which just works every time but for the price its (they were) a good buy. Having said that Im sure there are people with tales of woe on named brand items as well.

I should also add that the ebay seller you have refered to is very good. I get lots of stuff from them. Never had a problem.

bigbaz
08-07-2010, 2:43pm
Ok not getting a huge response, thanks for yours Adrian.

So i want a flash as i don't like the onboard one as it seems to create harsh shadows, i want some sort of fill flash, will this flash suit my needs as an amateur tog, that has no experience with lighting

bigdazzler
10-07-2010, 1:12pm
Ive never used the Yongnuo flashes mate but they seem to be very worthwhile, and popular, for using as slave flashes off camera. Not so much as the first flash of choice for on camera work.

Your signature doesnt say what camera you use, but if youre looking for an external flashgun to rid yourself of the onboard flash, I would recommend saving a few extra dollars and buying either an EXxxx or SBxxx from your cameras manufacturer.

I was once given a piece of advice that said for your first choice flash go with the OEM, they just work better with your camera and will do everything theyre supposed to do properly .. then add as many cheap flashes as you like as slaves.

I reckon its the best bet mate :th3:

Adrian Fischer
12-07-2010, 1:27pm
I agree with Darren. If you can afford to, get a flash that is designed for you camera. You then have access to all the wizbang things like ttl etc. If you on a tight budget then the ones you are looking at or even cheaper, married with some remote triggers (again cheap on ebay), can work wonders. The cheap ones I have can be triggered by my on camera flash. I just dial it way down so that it has minimal impact on the subject and as long as my off camera flashes can see the camera then they will work. Opens up a whole new world. Let us know how you get on and then share some of your work with the new flashes with us.

Good luck

coffeegal
16-07-2010, 9:37pm
I have the YN467. I'm new to flash photography too and purchased it about a month ago. So far I've been very pleased. Most of my photography using it has just been bouncing from the ceiling. The 467 has TTL and zoom. I use it on camera and so far as a beginner it is perfect for my needs. Now I just need a nicer lens :p

I was looking at the 460 as it's so cheap but I wanted TTL and zoom so I could basically just let it work automatically.

kaiser
16-07-2010, 10:51pm
I just got two of the YN-560's which look to be a 580EXII clone. The specs look pretty good though and they appear to be about as powerful as my SB800. I only use manual for the flashes anyway so the TTl/iTTL thing isn't a big deal for me. These Yongnuo guys are getting quite good at catering for the Strobist market :)

Here (http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/) is a link to a hands on review of the YN-560. I predict it will become a hot seller on eBay pretty soon (only released a bout a week ago) ;)

n00g33
25-07-2010, 11:24pm
I just got two of the YN-560's which look to be a 580EXII clone. The specs look pretty good though and they appear to be about as powerful as my SB800. I only use manual for the flashes anyway so the TTl/iTTL thing isn't a big deal for me. These Yongnuo guys are getting quite good at catering for the Strobist market :)

Here (http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/) is a link to a hands on review of the YN-560. I predict it will become a hot seller on eBay pretty soon (only released a bout a week ago) ;)

The YN 460 II is supposed to be a more powerful but has no zoom and a few other control interface changes. I've recently purchased a YN 460 II over the 560 coz I could buy almost 2 460s for the price of one 560. I'll be using them manually too so no ttl is fine and because I'm only just starting out, it seemed like a good option.

Am I losing out much for going wit the cheaper option? PLanning to shoot through umbrellas.

sorry for the hijack baz I think ttl and zoom is the only real advantage which I guess is exactly what you want on a your first on-camera external flash.