PDA

View Full Version : Battery shenanigans

Redback51
06-07-2010, 10:31am
The batteries I have for the 40D appear to be doing strange things. The in-camera battery indicator, which has been accurate, will show them at one-third power, but when I put them on the charger, it goes to full power in a matter of seconds, instead of the 30 mins or so it usually takes.The battery indicator then shows them at full power when they couldn't possibly have been. They are both Canon batteries and both about the same age. Anyone else had this issue? Cheers :food04:

Old Skool
06-07-2010, 12:28pm
No - but batteries can go "off" & die - very strange it has happened to both at the same time though??

Redback51
06-07-2010, 12:54pm
Thanks Russell...Yeah,I guess they've copped a bit of a floggin' in the two years I've had them. Cheers :food04:

soulman
06-07-2010, 8:06pm
Try giving them a full cycle a few times - fully discharge them then leave them on charge for as long as it used to take (or longer) to charge them when they were new. The in camera indicator and the lights on the charger are both guessing at the state of charge and can be fooled if the battery is wearing out. Most batteries of this type are only rated for about 300 cycles, so they won't last forever. One of the reasons I try to use them until they're flat because if you charge one when it's only done a few hours in the camera it's still considered a cycle.

Kym
06-07-2010, 8:15pm
Li-ion batteries have a finite shelf life, plus a limit on cycles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

If you got more than 2 years - well done!

Redback51
07-07-2010, 10:08am
Thanks people...I'm guessing they must be near to end of life...then again, it could have something to do with the very cold weather I've been out and about in of late. Cheers :food04: