PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Nilkon camera

kiat
05-07-2010, 2:11pm
Hi guys, I couldn't find a proper place to ask, so thought I'd post it here...
I know may not be convenient to reply here, so pls reply by private message.

I am looking for a Nikon camera around Sydney area. Can someone suggest me a good place to shop ? Looking for good pricing, good customer service and have accessories (eg vertical grip, flash, etc). Does the shop provide camera body cleaning services?

I am new to Sydney, so I don't know the preferred shop that the locals go to around here.

Thank you.

campo
05-07-2010, 2:34pm
Plenty of shops around Sydney. Here are a few official nikon dealers I know of outside of the usual suspects (eg. Teds etc). I live in Canberra so I have only bought stuff from these guys but I dare say they provide cleaning services too.

ECS - http://cameras.net.au/ - used these guys quite a bit for new and second hand gear.
L&P - http://www.lapfoto.com.au/ - more recently started getting stuff from these guys.
Madsens (wollongong) - http://www.madsens.com.au/ - used these guys for filters (have only done mail order only purchases)
Nikon on Broadway - http://www.nikononbroadway.com - not used, but relatively well priced

Watchamacallit
05-07-2010, 2:59pm
Are you wanting to go into a store and have a play around, or just looking for a place to purchase?

If you're near the CBD I would recommend:

Digi Direct (http://www.digidirect.com.au) - good service, reasonable prices - even got them to price match a few things at times.
Camerahouse Foto Riesel on Kent st - had nothing but good service from these guys and they are also very knowledgeable, not just trying to make a sale.

Ionica
05-07-2010, 3:11pm
I have bought equipment from Tom Saade's Camera House (Westfield, Parramatta ),as has my daughter, and have found them competitive. They have a good range of lenses and accessories. They have a website (tscamerahouse.com.au )' and usually show 'special offers'.

kiat
05-07-2010, 3:27pm
Am looking to go into a store in Sydney (CBD, or I don't mind a bit of travel if need to), to get a D700, vertical grip, battery and a lens (+ maybe a grad ND filter).

Not so cheap in total (for me), so I'm looking for a shop that can give a good deal & after-sales support.

Also.. in Australia, does camera body comes with international warranty ?
(I'm now residing in Sydney; but at times I do travel)...

reaction
05-07-2010, 3:29pm
international warranty - I think not.

Second Camerahouse + Digi Direct
Stay away from Paxtons

Watchamacallit
05-07-2010, 5:00pm
I also second avoiding Paxtons. I'd also avoid George's too, they seem to consistently be more expensive than everyone else (by at least $50-$100).

Regarding warranties (this has been discussed a lot :P), only bodies are restricted to their place of purchase. AFAIK regarding lenses and accessories, there is international warranty - which always brings up the topics of grey importers. But for Aussie stock in Sydney, I would stick to those stores if you're wanting a local B&M.

Why not try going around to a few stores and seeing what kind of deals you can get? You're a walking dollar sign to them with those items on your list, so you should be able to get them to sweeten the deal. Good luck with the deal - I'm sure a few of us could help you out if needed :)

Ionica
05-07-2010, 5:09pm
T. S. Camera House did a package deal, which was a good price. But we also priced elsewhere as well. It is usually a 30 minute trip by train from Sydney Central, if you find it worthwhile.

swifty
05-07-2010, 9:12pm
I second ECS in Drummoyne - they're one of the best. I was at Nikon Australia's service centre in Lidcombe last friday looking for two replacement parts. Even Nikon Australia didn't have it in stock but they suggested I try ECS and low and behold, they had it... well one of the two items I was after anyways.
I've also had good experience with digidirect that Whatchamacallit suggested but the Bondi Junction store. Havn't been to their city store before.
I don't particularly like Ted's but having said that, when I bought my S5, they had the lowest prices from the outset and I still managed to bargain them down a bit more. So occasionally they can be pretty good. I think it depends on who you deal with.

swifty
05-07-2010, 9:16pm
Re: international warranty.
I believe only lenses and flash carry international warranty. Camera body are only domestic warranty.
Further, if you bought a gray model (ie. one not imported into the country by their official importer), I believe its Nikon's policy not to service the item at all even if you pay for it. You will need to find a private service repairer.
If you want cheaper and don't mind buying gray, DD photo in North Sydney is pretty good. But check the prices though because occasionally the local sellers are cheaper.

mongo
05-07-2010, 10:24pm
A lot of the suggested stores are frankly too expensive. Do not buy anything until you get a price from Chris at Whilton Camera. You can do some hard bargaining with him. Even has very good used equipment with warranties.
251 Elizabeth St
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9267 8429

Also try Digital Camera warehouse. Not in CBD but may be worth the enquiry.
174 Canterbury Rd Canterbury (Sydney)
Phone: 02 9789 9700

ECS are too expensive.

swifty
05-07-2010, 11:14pm
Hi Mongo,
I've been to Whilton once or twice looking at the used stuff but didn't realise they sold new stuff LOL. I'll keep them in mind next time I'm purchasing.
As for ECS.. its funny you say they are expensive because that hasn't been my experience so I had a quick look at their prices online and I have to say most Nikon stuff are listed cheaper than Digital Camera Warehouse, as a comparison. So perhaps you can bargain harder at DCW but I haven't had experience with them.

maccaroneski
05-07-2010, 11:18pm
I gottas agree with Swifty here - I have bought several things at ECS having found them to be the cheapest on local stock for the items I was after at the time.

Watchamacallit
05-07-2010, 11:31pm
Interesting Mongo, maybe I'll check out Whilton tomorrow for a price check - most stores don't budge much unless you're doing some major purchasing (like the OP). Any description on the building/store front?