PDA

View Full Version : Microadjustment feature

Rsev
05-07-2010, 1:18pm
This post is mainly to meet my obligations to AusPhoto. Something that might be of interest to some people is the microadjustment feature of some Canon Cameras. I have a Canon 400mm f5.6 L USM lens for my bird shots. I was very dissappointed with the performance of this lens until someone put me on to the ability of my Canon 50D to adjust its AF to match lenses. Normally this feature is not required but if a lens is giving consistently soft results it is worth a try. The adjustment is menu driven and involves taking shots at the same target using different adjustment settings which range from -20 to +20. Compare the results until you determine which is the sharpest image, use the image properties information to see what adjustment was used and then set the camera to that adjustment. Plenty of internet sites available to give more precise instructions than I have given here.

After making the adjustment for my lens the results are unbelievably better than I was getting.

ricktas
05-07-2010, 1:28pm
These micro adjustments are also available on Nikon cameras.

Now to your first statement. How about being an active posting member, rather than 'mainly meeting your obligations' just to retain site access. Otherwise you might find your account removed.

etherial
05-07-2010, 2:38pm
Yes this has been discussed quite a bit lately in a number of threads. I also posted a thread dedicated to it here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=56343).

reaction
05-07-2010, 4:33pm
microadjustment is getting more common, wish they could firmware it to my D90 tho :|

baldrick
05-07-2010, 11:45pm
It`s also available to PENTAX users.