PDA

View Full Version : Scanners for film

Tony
04-07-2010, 7:30pm
I know you gets what you pay for, but anyone with experience on these $90 5 meg scanners? I have B&W negs, slides, colour negs going back decades etc. I would like to convert these to digital via a scanner and print them from my computer printer (so much easier than using the darkroom). I have scanned old B&W prints on my normal printer/scanner with excellent results but, when I try use same for B&W negs and colour slides... Yuk! As I am a pensioner it is not justifiable to spend heaps on a great scanner.... so hence my question these cheaper film scanners. Anyone using or tried one? Regards Tony :)

Ps. How do I get a colour smiley?

ricktas
04-07-2010, 7:37pm
I think your first words in this thread ring true. You get what you pay for. By spending a bit more and getting a good quality scanner you will be doing your photographic history a needed service. The cheap scanners are just that.

colour smiley. The smiley's are standard, you can't change the colour of them, you just select one from the list that suits.

Tony
04-07-2010, 8:09pm
Thanks Rictas, okay, what is a reasonable scanner in a reasonable price range. When I was in the workforce I wouldn't argue... just go out and buy the best. Can I get something reasonable for say around 300 bucks? Tony :)

ricktas
04-07-2010, 8:14pm
Not sure Tony. I used a Nikon Coolscan 9000 (http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php?pid=55-b44f274e94) to do mine. Luckily I got access to one for a reasonable price (rented it from a friend), but they are about $5K to buy.

I also use a Epson flatbed scanner that has the film/negative scanning ability built in, by having lighting in the lid as well as inside the scanning device itself. It seems to work quite well, but certainly not as good as the Coolscan.

TOM
04-07-2010, 9:39pm
Hi Tony

I second Rick on the Coolscan. The 9000 is pricey, but the 5000 is a lot cheaper if you only want to scan 135 film. I use the 5000, but I also have a Canon 8800f that I used prior. I'm not sure what their current model is, however it was cheap and can also do 120 film. The Epson that Rick mentioned gets big raps, and may be worth the premium over the Canon or similiar.

Calxoddity
04-07-2010, 10:37pm
Hi,
Another option may be to get a pro shop to do the scans for you, but I suspect the number of scans you have may not make this option cost-effective, except if you only do the top shots.

I compromised on the Epson V300 - it scans negs and slide in addition to traditional flatbed. It's not a patch on proper dedicated neg and slide scanners like the nikon, but the price of the Nikon was way out of my range.

Those cheapo 5MP units max out at around 2000 dpi theoretical, the V300 is 4800 dpi theoretical, but the actual resolution limit is, I'm sure, lots lower. I did back-to-back comparison on a neg and a print though, and the scan from negative at 3600 dpi was streets ahead of the print at 600dpi.

Regards,
Calx

TOM
05-07-2010, 12:26am
sorry, in my post above, i should have recommended the coolscan V, not the 5000. The V is a cheaper version that does everything the 5000 does apart from bulk scanning.

Tony
05-07-2010, 8:38pm
Hello Tom, thanks for your input. I've checked out the Canon 8800F on the www to-day (monday) and can get one for $298. Seems reasonable enough, haven't checked out the Epson yet. It would be good to be able to scan 120 negs and slides as well and the Canon 8800F can do that. Hmmm I'll have to have a hard think about it. Regards Tony

Tony
05-07-2010, 8:43pm
Hello Calxoddity????? Yes I think no matter which way I go, for the ultimate result of an extremely good slide getting it done on a drum scanner would be the way to go. However as you said for the main bulk one would have to D.I.Y. Perhaps somebody within the forum has a second hand film/Neg/Slide scanner for sale? Regards Tony
Ps. Thanks for your input :)

swifty
05-07-2010, 9:32pm
Hi Tony,
I use an Epson V700 flatbed myself but almost bought a V600 instead cos its probably 80-90% of the V700 for about 50-60% of the price.
Here's a good review of the V600.
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V650/page-1.html

Tony
06-07-2010, 8:49pm
Hello Swifty, thanks, I had a look at the review you suggested. Sounds good, what about price? what did you pay for yours?

Regards Tony :)

Tony
06-07-2010, 9:01pm
By the way, what are any of you doing for B&W film these days? I see in the US and Europe Adox, Rollei and yes, my beloved Agfa films are all back. As well there are some Asian films as well as Forma available. I see you can now get Rodinal again, and Adox have also an older Rodinal formula from the 1918 recipe! This has a shelf life of 50 years! Does anyone know if Adox B&W film is available in Australia? BTW, the US prices on the B&W film above has to be seen to be believed! very cheap.
Regards to all. Tony.

swifty
07-07-2010, 12:11am
Tony: I paid a tick over $700 for my V700 and I believe the V600 should be a bit over $400.

Tony
09-07-2010, 7:45am
Thanks Swifty, the Canon is a very attractive price but I'll need to compare the specs between the Canon and the V600 and take it from there. Regards Tony.

neilpcraven
15-07-2010, 5:00pm
I've ordered a V600 which should arrive some time next week. Will post some of my results and findings here when I get it up and running.

ameerat42
15-07-2010, 6:08pm
Tony. Ideally any scanner you get should do 14-16-bit output and have an optical resolution of at least 3200 dpi. Of course there's more, but this is MHO. Those cheapies would fall way below these specs, and would only give you cheap un-thrills. Am.