PDA

View Full Version : North pine dam disaster

David
04-07-2010, 1:39pm
A few AP and other people came to North Pine Dam for sunrise this morning. I was doing some experimenting with using Tungsten white balance before sunrise (1) and then looking for an interesting composition foreground after sunrise (2) without much success.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4759453994_64bc35946a_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4759459662_0731cd59a1_b.jpg

I have been to the Gold Scrub Lane entrance recommended by others twice now and remain convinced there must be better places around the dam composition wise for this place...there was not much on offer and we sank into wet ground that gave way under the tripod too easily. Might be a good entry point for birding, but definitely not for landscapes IMHO

I will go back there again, but I will scout it during the day for better foreground first.

accesser
04-07-2010, 2:14pm
Disaster ? Loving #2 a lot you have some cool mist and a interesting colour in the sky.
I drive past Gold Scrub land each day to work I'd like to check out this (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Gold+Scrub+Ln,+Samsonvale+Queensland+4520&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=67.145014,135.263672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FQPmX_4dXlUcCQ&split=0&hq=&hnear=Gold+Scrub+Ln,+Samsonvale+Queensland+4520&ll=-27.26169,152.851877&spn=0.002124,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-27.261396,152.851717&panoid=Z4wqwW1yAsd7mUA1_RmMYQ&cbp=12,125.55,,0,9.97)area as I often see cars parked in the mornings.

My last visit I ran into a bird spotter with a serious pair of binoculars he suggested a road up a bit further called Post Man something road lane Post Man something rather I know the street but google does not list it.

David
04-07-2010, 2:18pm
Thanks for the comments Jason: think I might take u up on having another go at the alternative site soon.

accesser
04-07-2010, 2:20pm
Thanks for the comments Jason: think I might take u up on having another go at the alternative site soon.

If you drive out of Gold Scrub lane and turn right the way I went home you will see the post man something on the right hand side not too far up the road.

Keen to keep at this place too

mudman
04-07-2010, 2:22pm
i agree with Jason about the images. is it my monitor or is there a dirt spot in #2?

Jacs14
04-07-2010, 2:53pm
#2 my favourite, but think what you did with #1 {think that was when you were telling me about play around with the white balance} is pretty cool :th3:

DAdeGroot
04-07-2010, 3:03pm
Gold Scrub Lane, as you mention David, isn't as much a landscape location as a Birding location. Hope you all hung around and did some birding, there's plenty to be had there. :)

There are a couple of other spots that might be better for landscapes on that dam. One over on Beeville Rd, and another on Forgan Rd.

David
04-07-2010, 6:09pm
i agree with Jason about the images. is it my monitor or is there a dirt spot in #2?

I can not see a dirt spot, just mist and grass...thanks for the feed back though.

#2 my favourite, but think what you did with #1 {think that was when you were telling me about play around with the white balance} is pretty cool :th3:

Thanks J, hope you had a good morning and got some keepers.

Gold Scrub Lane, as you mention David, isn't as much a landscape location as a Birding location. Hope you all hung around and did some birding, there's plenty to be had there. :). There are a couple of other spots that might be better for landscapes on that dam. One over on Beeville Rd, and another on Forgan Rd.

Aha, should have asked you about the place Dave, not surprised you have the goss on the better places.. will check them out along with the other 'post.... ] sooner rather than later.

msenior
05-07-2010, 10:56am
As with others i love the 2nd shot as well.

Like mudman i can also see the dirt spot on number 2. In the sky right hand side.

Mike

Analog6
05-07-2010, 12:34pm
Nice images, David. You do have a couple of dust bunnies there, you can get rid of them with the magic healing brush or the clone tool.

When I looked the map for that location, there are lots of little tracks down to the water, I didn't think Gold Scrub lane looked very good as a landscape location just from the topography. Check it out on google maps with satellite view on and then you can zoom in.

David
05-07-2010, 5:15pm
As with others i love the 2nd shot as well.

Like mudman i can also see the dirt spot on number 2. In the sky right hand side.

Mike

Thanks Mike; I really do have to get my camera in to the bunnie shop and get rid of them: being talking about it for months now.. ok.. I am going to do this week :)

Nice images, David. You do have a couple of dust bunnies there, you can get rid of them with the magic healing brush or the clone tool.

When I looked the map for that location, there are lots of little tracks down to the water, I didn't think Gold Scrub lane looked very good as a landscape location just from the topography. Check it out on google maps with satellite view on and then you can zoom in.

Thanks Odille for the suggestions: I will have to have a good look on google for the satellite image and do better home work on this place.. I think it has potential but not where we were.

Philr
05-07-2010, 6:41pm
You have done well with what was on offer there David. It is hard to get a good shot without some foreground interest but in the second the mist and colour is great. Well done mate! You need to get out to Moogerah Dam mate, much better for the landscapes.