PDA

View Full Version : How do you showcase your portfolio ?

kiwi
02-07-2010, 8:23pm
How do you show prospective clients your portfolio ?

ipad ?
notebook ?
photo book ?

others ideas ?

mikew09
02-07-2010, 8:57pm
I hope one day I am good enough to have portfolio to showcase.

JM Tran
02-07-2010, 9:00pm
iPad and physical wedding albums in person

Keith
02-07-2010, 9:05pm
Laptop & physical albums for me

kiwi
02-07-2010, 9:12pm
What sort of albums guys ?

I was initially thinking just a simple a4 book with plastic sleeves, then thought blah, tacky

So have you an expensive album mounted with sample prints in a finished wedding album look ?

I'm thinking iPad too, just trying to convince by boss accordingly

JM Tran
02-07-2010, 9:15pm
I got some albums made by Blurb and Asuka as well as a more expensive Tuscany album from blackriverimaging.com Darren, I used to have 8x12s stuck into a sleeved album until I realized thats expensive and doesnt store that many photos compared to what I am showcasing now, not to mention it looks old fashioned and not as contemporary

Keith
02-07-2010, 9:50pm
I had an a4 photo book printed up, and getting an a3 one done next. Simple but effective I think.

Redgum
03-07-2010, 12:14am
Do most of you guys only do weddings and family stuff? Surely you wouldn't present printed material to corporate clients?

JM Tran
03-07-2010, 12:41am
Do most of you guys only do weddings and family stuff? Surely you wouldn't present printed material to corporate clients?

obviously I have materials of commercial and corporate clients on websites that can be accessed by the iPad too if need be. But why not? Sometimes 'corporate' clients would like to see material stuff such as tear sheets of published material etc

kiwi
03-07-2010, 6:50am
I don't do corporate work, but would imagine tear sheets and printed work to be important in a face to face meeting ?

I'm more convinced than ever that an iPad is the way to go, but still think there's nothing quite as tangible as a print, maybe both is the answer

para
04-07-2010, 8:57am
I'm more convinced than ever that an iPad is the way to go, but still think there's nothing quite as tangible as a print, maybe both is the answer

agree with you for once

kiwi
04-07-2010, 9:03am
for once ?

lol, when have you ever not agreed with kiwi ?

Redgum
04-07-2010, 9:12am
That's interesting. I haven't used anything but the web since the nineties apart from previous work in mags. Part of the deal with corporates is to do a pre-shoot to stylise their project but by then contracts are exchanged. If I walked into someone like Comalco with an iPad they'd laugh and want to play games. Suppose that's not too bad anyway. :)

Erin
04-07-2010, 4:57pm
Well, I know I will be getting some albums done up in the style I wish to sell as well as probably investing in an iPad somewhere down the track for more up to date work.

JM Tran
04-07-2010, 5:04pm
That's interesting. I haven't used anything but the web since the nineties apart from previous work in mags. Part of the deal with corporates is to do a pre-shoot to stylise their project but by then contracts are exchanged. If I walked into someone like Comalco with an iPad they'd laugh and want to play games. Suppose that's not too bad anyway. :)

are u sure they will laugh? You said that you have been using the web since the 1990s, but this is 2010 and technology has evolved so fast and more methods and alternatives have developed in business strategies and in the way we conduct ourselves. Forward thinking people embrace technology to enhance their professional and business image in such a fast pace to an extent that what was the standard 5 yrs ago, may seem obsolete now.

Then again, film and videography is different in approach to photography. I have never been asked to do a pre-shoot before commencing something with big clients regarding photography. Its a waste of time and resources in the digital era.