PDA

View Full Version : End of the 50D series

mikew09
02-07-2010, 8:18pm
I was very surprised today to find out the following. Have been saving and milling around upgrading to a 50D for about 6 or 8 months now but everytime I get close to a purchase I get the urge to wait a bit longer and go for a 7D or 5D. Looks like the decision has been made for me.

After reading on the forum that HN's had the 50D for $842 me and a mate take our lunch break and wondered into the city to check it out. Sure enough (in Brisbane), $842 but guess what - sold out. We are told Canon are no longer producing the 50D and they have no more Aus stock.

Hmm, wonder over to Ted's, yep, will match the price but none in stock, only 10 available on order and 4 already pre-sold. So we try a Mel supplier that discound for the company and again, no stock and none available from auz Canon supplier - no longer in production.

So what are the options, 7D (will this be discounted), 5D full frame or the 60D, the first rumour of the 60D is on the web but nothing to back it up.

I was really surprised that the 50D has been wrapped up before a new release and well, so it seems little general community knowledge - or did I miss something whilst in the Tardus :-) .

etherial
02-07-2010, 9:02pm
It's interesting isn't it. The 450D then 500 and 550 all came out in quick succession and overlapped quite a lot. The 50 has been around a while now. I have seen plenty of rumours of a 60D for a few months now but nothing really substantial as yet.

mikew09
02-07-2010, 9:09pm
It's interesting isn't it. The 450D then 500 and 550 all came out in quick succession and overlapped quite a lot. The 50 has been around a while now. I have seen plenty of rumours of a 60D for a few months now but nothing really substantial as yet.

Hi etherial, just seems odd too me the way canon have gone about it. Almost like it was not a big success so they pulled it from the market, especially considering the uncertenty of the next in the series. I have almost bought the 50D a few times in the last couple of months but like I said, just keep holding off for a bit more cash as I really want the 7D. For me it is almost a sigh of relief to stop me procastinating over which one http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

chrisprendergast
02-07-2010, 9:15pm
Well there will always be a new model you can wait for new tech to be released or u can buy now and start using it sooner rather then later

mikew09
02-07-2010, 9:19pm
Well there will always be a new model you can wait for new tech to be released or u can buy now and start using it sooner rather then later

Think I will hold out till I can afford the 7D.

Fantasyphoto
02-07-2010, 9:25pm
The 50D is almost 2 years old, that is a long time to be in the market.

A manufacture will not mention a new product line as it make it difficult to sell existing stock, wait until the 50D is unavailable and I reckon the 60D will be almost on the shelf.

Jimbo
02-07-2010, 9:30pm
Maybe they're finding that it's holding back 7D sales? :confused013

mikew09
02-07-2010, 9:39pm
Maybe they're finding that it's holding back 7D sales? :confused013

My thoughts also, although I just read a thread on one of many forum through a google search that it is to push the 550 sales.

Jimbo
03-07-2010, 6:52am
My anecdotal experience: one friend balks at the cost of the 7D and is going for the 550D, and my brother-in-law decided that if he was going to spend the $ on the 7D he might as well spend the extra and get the 5D! (smart man that :) )

Dwarak
03-07-2010, 7:17am
I think it is worth waiting for the 7d I can see a slight decline in the price of the 7d it is an amazing camera I am very happy with it. I expect by this year end there will be further reduction in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew09
03-07-2010, 10:18am
I think it is worth waiting for the 7d I can see a slight decline in the price of the 7d it is an amazing camera I am very happy with it. I expect by this year end there will be further reduction in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, there is already some rumours around a price decrease. I am thinking I should maybe consider waiting for the 60D also. I've been trying to make up my mind for about months now, I suppose another few months won't matter :-).

Scotty72
03-07-2010, 10:22am
I have almost bought the 50D a few times in the last couple of months but like I said, just keep holding off for a bit more cash as I really want the 7D.

Wow, me too.

Around last Xmas, I almost bought the 50D (having the 40D) but decided after checking out the 50D to wait til I could afford the 7D.

Well, I am, hopefully, only a week or two off that day thanks to tax time and my birthday.

Scotty

mikew09
03-07-2010, 10:30am
Wow, me too.

Around last Xmas, I almost bought the 50D (having the 40D) but decided after checking out the 50D to wait til I could afford the 7D.

Well, I am, hopefully, only a week or two off that day thanks to tax time and my birthday.

Scotty

Hye Scotty, let me know what you think when you get it, a review maybe would be good :-). Just cant make up my mind - if the 60D is released around the same price as the 50D it would mean I could buy the 24-105 L as well, if I go the 7D I have to sacrafice the lens. Anyway, very interested to hear wht you think of your new 7D compared to your 40D.

Mike

mpot
04-07-2010, 12:14pm
Yep, there is already some rumours around a price decrease. I am thinking I should maybe consider waiting for the 60D also. I've been trying to make up my mind for about months now, I suppose another few months won't matter :-).

The rumour mill indicates an announcement from Canon about a new body is apparently happening in mid-July...possibly the 60D.

mikew09
04-07-2010, 6:26pm
Hmm, been cutting through the reviews and another thread I have on the AP and am leaning towards the 7D at the moment.

Schmenz
04-07-2010, 7:14pm
as i said in the other thread the 50d went "quit" so everyone has been getting rid of them. we havent stocked them in ages as most people go the 7d or the 550d.

i dont think the xxd line is dead but the creation of the 7 has thrown a spanner in the works so who knows.

in terms of the xxd series, the 50 was a bit of a flop. there was not that much of a leap from the 40 (like from the 30 to the 40).

august/september would be the typical time for the xxd line. but canon could suprise us and do something early.

mikew09
04-07-2010, 7:18pm
as i said in the other thread the 50d went "quit" so everyone has been getting rid of them. we havent stocked them in ages as most people go the 7d or the 550d.

i dont think the xxd line is dead but the creation of the 7 has thrown a spanner in the works so who knows.

in terms of the xxd series, the 50 was a bit of a flop. there was not that much of a leap from the 40 (like from the 30 to the 40).

august/september would be the typical time for the xxd line. but canon could suprise us and do something early.

If the price drops in line with the rumours - I will be on the 7D like flies to .....oopps - Naughter corner alert..... oh well you know the saying.

Schmenz
04-07-2010, 7:47pm
i know the 5 and 50 both had a price drop. i think the 450 did too as it also went quit.

im not sure if the 7 will have a drop soon or not. i will let you know when i do tho!

MarkChap
04-07-2010, 8:10pm
I was talking to the guys at our new local Camera House today, seems Camerahouse bought up a good suppply of 50's from Canon and will be offering them sub one thousand for the next little while

RamblinR
04-07-2010, 8:51pm
It will be interesting to see what canon is bringing out.
If it's a 60d I wonder what features it will have?
How much will be similar to the 7d?
Can't make it too similar or the 7d will lose sales also.
Very interesting for those wanting to push the button on buying a new cam.

David
04-07-2010, 8:58pm
No 7D for me, I am going to spend my next hard earned on a 5D and get a FULL FRAME bang for my buck..60D.. good luck with that.

mpot
04-07-2010, 10:49pm
It will be interesting to see what canon is bringing out.
If it's a 60d I wonder what features it will have?

The rumours (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/60d-spec-list-cr1/) reckon the 60D will have:

- 18mp
- ISO 6400 Max
- 9AF Points
- Articulating LCD
- New Menu System
- Movie mode like the 7D

rwg717
04-07-2010, 11:03pm
If I can give you one piece of advice, when (and if) the 60D comes on the market, DON'T buy one straight away!!!!!

Retailers just love customers who are keen to get their hands on a new product....WHY???....simple, so they can RIP YOU OFF!!!!:angry0::angry0:

I fell into this trap when the 50D was released and paid almost 3X what they were selling for six months ago. Really hate this type of thing (suppose you can't blame the retailers) and suggest you wait on the 7D to "get the tremors" while it waits for the release of the 8D or something similar.:(
Richard

beckett5361
04-07-2010, 11:37pm
The price of the 5d Mark II is getting lower and as a friend of mine uses one all the time I have seen its quality and her husband has a 7D and I really think the Noise issue in the 7D kills it for me the 5D Mark II runs rings around it. Rather wait and buy even a secondhand 5D Mark II unless the new models can match the noise levels anyway.

mikew09
05-07-2010, 5:42am
If I can give you one piece of advice, when (and if) the 60D comes on the market, DON'T buy one straight away!!!!!

Retailers just love customers who are keen to get their hands on a new product....WHY???....simple, so they can RIP YOU OFF!!!!:angry0::angry0:

I fell into this trap when the 50D was released and paid almost 3X what they were selling for six months ago. Really hate this type of thing (suppose you can't blame the retailers) and suggest you wait on the 7D to "get the tremors" while it waits for the release of the 8D or something similar.:(
Richard

Very good advise to Richard - I have to agree, I have to wonder home much profit they make when you see how much the proce comes down.

Thanks

Mike

Schmenz
05-07-2010, 11:57pm
please dont blame the retailers, as its not always the case.

a few months in canon (or whichever supplier) drops the buy price, which means the retailers can choose to pass that on (and most do). The drop in price was not the retailer simply deciding to suddenly discount it. And they could not have sold it for the same price prior to the manufacturer price drop.

Prices go down after time, and also up.

The 5d2 has gone down and up and down etc. (Although the struggling dollar and gfc helped with that. Interestingly when the gfc hit for the first time in 6 years i saw the price changes being increases instead of the usual decreases. These have also been reversed back down now))

And in regards to discounting. You'd have to be an idiot to pay full price. Whenever someone asks me the price I give them pretty much cost price as I know how competitive the market is. I would never charge someone full ticket. But because of the ridiculous price matching that goes on we need a higher ticket to accommodate for all the crazy price dropping by the time you have visited me and then every other retailer in the vicinity. Most sales actually end up below cost by the time I have price matched. And your awesome discount comes out of my comission. :( (which is a very measly amount anyway ie $30 a week)

etherial
06-07-2010, 9:00am
More out this morning from this (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/07/more-60d-conflicting-information-cr1/)site:

More 60D Conflicting Information [CR1] (http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/07/more-60d-conflicting-information-cr1/)

July 5, 2010

60D Specs
18mp
Slightly different form factor than 50D.
No articulating screen
6.5fps
New AF System

Expect an announcement during the 3rd week of August

mikew09
06-07-2010, 9:35am
Looking forward to the new release to see if it lives up to expectations.

joele
09-07-2010, 8:52pm
Well I paid $1,060 about 2 months ago and it is still falling it seems..

The place I bought it from still has stock now for $997 (I have no connection with them so hope it is OK to post link)

http://camerapro.net.au/canon-body-australian-stock-limited-stock-super-special-p-52.html

My fiancée wants me to buy her a 40d second hand, though I am waiting to see what happens with the 60D too.. Can pass her the 50D if the 60D doesn't lose any features from the 50D (I am worried they will dumb it down a little to not hurt the 7D sales)..

P.S. I agree with not blaming retailers for high aussie prices, on release or otherwise, they often make far less mark up than you think.

etherial
10-07-2010, 12:38pm
A possible announcement on the 60D on July 13th?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/07/announcement-dates-60d-specs-cr2/

joele
10-07-2010, 6:57pm
definitely holding off on the 40d purchase.. I like the look of those features etherial, if they are real?

I miss my Olympus e3's articulating screen, it did surprisingly come in handy quite often..

Kym
10-07-2010, 7:59pm
60D rumor...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/07/announcement-dates-60d-specs-cr2/

If I go with the people that have been right in the past (not always), then this is what we have.

* 18mp
* New 9AF point system.
* 5 Crosstype Sensors, all f/5.6 except for the f/2.8 Center
* Articulating Screen
* 6fps (A drop of .3)
* DIGIC IV
* Full HD Recording Mode
* Wireless Flash Transmitter
* New Battery & Grip
* 98% VF
* Weather Seals like the 50D
* Still back and forth on the formfactor.

Not much between a 550D and a 7D ... I wonder if they have killed the mid range APS-C?

JorgD
10-07-2010, 9:03pm
The only rumour I heard is that they are not going to make a 60D, which would make sense to me. Why have a bunch of very similar products for suppliers to stock? I can see the sense in only having a 7D and 550D.

joele
10-07-2010, 9:33pm
I don't know JorgD, the Nikon D90 series is much more appealing and capable to many people than the 550D, and the 7D is a big price jump up.

As for lots of models for stores to stock, well it actually seems to be working well for Nikon and they don't even seem to think you need to pack the pixel density to a point that detraction kicks in at f6 in order to sell cameras.

canonboy
11-07-2010, 8:19pm
Hi all ,I'm new to the forum, I was saving for a 50d & I had been wondering if a 60d was around the corner, there seems to be plenty available on the net, but they mightn't tell you they are out of stock until you order one. If you have anymore info on 60d I'm all ears.
Canonboy.

RaoulIsidro
12-07-2010, 3:12pm
The 50D and 7D features are almost close to each other, so the 60D when released is threading on this thin ice. It wouldn't want to eat up sales of the current 7D and it wouldn't want to make the 50D obsolete too fast either!

For simple folks who are happy with their Megapixels, frame rate, video (or lack of it), weather sealing, and other marketing HYPE, the 40D is fast becoming the classic of the XXD series. Its run life was cut too short by the 50D, but retained respect on great low light capablities. It had a bigger pixel size! (5.7 µm for 40D against a smaller 4.7 µm for 50D) that captures more light with less noise.

stevo
13-07-2010, 6:21am
I've got a couple of 40D's and a 20D and the only thing they are down on a bit is in the autofocus system compared to the 1Ds I had. The 1 series is an awesome camera to hold and use :)

I think you're better off buying a second hand 40D or two and putting the extra money into good glass or an extra flash.

Bodies will continue to be upgraded and should be looked on as a disposable item.

Look back three years and the 40D was the cutting edge or go back only a few more years earlier to when the 10D came out and it was snapped up by pros around the world. ( I had a couple of them and they were great cameras and took brilliant photos).

Concentrate on the picture NOT the technology of the camera. The camera is just a tool to help you capture the moment.

The other thing with the xxxD to xxD series is the physical size. The xxxD series suits small hands.

I may get a 7D later for the AF system only but I'd need to look the picture quality, especially low light before I jumped.

mikew09
15-07-2010, 3:00pm
Bit the bullet and finally made a decision, I suppose pressured a little by the run out of the 50D and the price being sold for. I was planning to buy a 50D later this yr but then I heard no more stock becoming available - Actually I think that is why I started this thread.... Anyhows, Teds still had two in stock this morning which have been selling like hot cakes so I purchased one, at a great price too.
Arrrhhh, relief. No more procastinating about will I wont I etc - Woowhoo, 50D I now have.

Needless to say, my excellent condition 400D gripped with be on sale shortly :-)

twister
17-07-2010, 4:44am
I will be getting a 50D body too today perhaps...at the moment I'll be getting the 50 f/1.8 II, and in a couple of months I'll complete the kit with a 17-55 f/2.8IS and a 430EX II...what say fellas? good combo?

mikew09
17-07-2010, 4:54am
The 50D is defiantely a grat buy at th moment. I picked one up Thursday and I am very happy with it so far. Defiantely a flash and I am happy with the 430EX. Depending on your cash flow and the use for the lens, you may want to consider the 24-105 f4 L usm IS - actually not sure how much difference in prize there will be between the two lens. From what I have read the 50 is ats best with L series glass.
I was blwon away by the IQ when I bolted the L on to the new 50D. Having said this, my buddy acheives stunning photos with his 50D kits lens.
I am sure there will be plenty advise around lens. Though I have only had the 50D 1.5 days, it is a superb camera - good choice.

Mike

twister
17-07-2010, 5:08am
According to this review (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx) the 17-55 f/2.8IS is sharper than the venerable 24-70L...apparently it's not designated L because it mounts only on the 1.6x crop bodies...

Actually I have the cash up for it...I can get either of the 24-70 f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L IS, or the 17-55 f/2.8 IS...

But since I'll be likely travelling overseas around Nov, i'm holding up the glass purchase (which will be signigificant, well above $1000, and the flash for like $350ish maybe) till then, so that I can claim TRS on them...

The body, I'm going to grab it because I have no intention of ponying up an extra $500 or so that canon will slap on to the 60D over the current 50D price, for an added 2 megapixels maybe, and video capabilities...and the 7D is overkill...eats up precious lens budget if I go that way...

[rant on] Honestly, I'm tired of this "video HD video blah blah" crap...If I needed video, I wouldnt bundle up and spend $3000 on gear meant for STILL pictures! [rant off] :D

mikew09
17-07-2010, 5:17am
Haha - LOL. That is exactly the way I ended up seeing it. Brisbane is almost out of 50D's, infact, when I bought there was only two stores in Brizzy that had them in stock on Thursday and I bought the second last one from Teds - they had sold like 10 in the last 10 days. Vid is not an interest to me as I already have a HD JVC that I carry in my kit just in case. The extra for the 7D I want to put ot a 24-105 L later as not quite cashed up to that point, the 50D's are selling for a great price at the moment so I couldn't say no.
Going from the 400D to the 50D is quite a change - the 400D is a great camera but I needed to move up now.
Look forward to seeing some shots once you get this fine camera.

twister
17-07-2010, 1:37pm
I got my 50D body today...for a start I got it with the 18-55IS lens (I know it's a dinky kit lens, but should tide me through a few months before I get more serious glass)

I got the 50D body for 930 (nobody would budge below that...Michaels didnt have any except the display and wanted 980, Teds could do a max of 949), the lens for 199, an 8GB sandisk ultra CF for $50, and a canon crumpler for another $50...5 year warranty for $140, and they gave me a voucher for 1000 photo prints as well...all up for $1369...

I got mine from Camera House (Camera Action) on elizabeth street...they had only 3 left, of which I took 1 (the boxed version)...of the rest 2, one is a display unit and one is a window display...

Initial impressions...even with this kit lens, it focuses MUCH faster than my point-and-shoot...

It is a VERY loud camera compared to the PnS...maybe it's my first time with an SLR, but I find the shutter to be quite loud...no getting away with sneaky shots with this one!

I tried out the unit with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS-USM in the shop...although rather large (and costly), that lens focuses insanely fast...

Come November, I'll probably get the 17-55 f/2.8 as well...the 18-55 is just a fill-in more or less...

Schmenz
19-07-2010, 12:36pm
congrats on ur new purchases!!

no mention of a 60 in the july canon newsletter. maybe aug as predicted.

there is a definent gap in the canon lineup from a price view, as said earlier.. people cant afford to go to the 7d and go for the d90 as it is alot cheaper.

i think the timing is pretty good tho. As canon is currently clearing out all the 450ds. If they introduced the 60 now it would be swamped with too much "quit" stock trying to be cleared and the new stock. And they cant make the 550d's fast enough let alone add a 60 to the mix!

twister
19-07-2010, 9:34pm
Thanks!

I would have held on for a 60D, but looking at how things are going, the focus seems to be shifting to gimmicks like video now, and the ever-present megapixel race...

I went for the 50D because at the moment they're going for the same price as the 550D bodies more or less...the 60D will retail for at least $1500 or so on release, and I much prefer to save up the cash for investing in glass...

RaoulIsidro
20-07-2010, 4:13pm
Re: Noisy shutter.
oops, forgot to "quote..."
next post please...
(how do you delete a post? I can't find the button...)

RaoulIsidro
20-07-2010, 4:26pm
I got my 50D body today...for a start I got it with the 18-55IS lens (I know it's a dinky kit lens, but should tide me through a few months before I get more serious glass)

I got the 50D body for 930 (nobody would budge below that...Michaels didnt have any except the display and wanted 980, Teds could do a max of 949), the lens for 199, an 8GB sandisk ultra CF for $50, and a canon crumpler for another $50...5 year warranty for $140, and they gave me a voucher for 1000 photo prints as well...all up for $1369...

I got mine from Camera House (Camera Action) on elizabeth street...they had only 3 left, of which I took 1 (the boxed version)...of the rest 2, one is a display unit and one is a window display...

Initial impressions...even with this kit lens, it focuses MUCH faster than my point-and-shoot...

It is a VERY loud camera compared to the PnS...maybe it's my first time with an SLR, but I find the shutter to be quite loud...no getting away with sneaky shots with this one!

I tried out the unit with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS-USM in the shop...although rather large (and costly), that lens focuses insanely fast...

Come November, I'll probably get the 17-55 f/2.8 as well...the 18-55 is just a fill-in more or less...

You are able to choose 2 other options for stealth shutter release making it very quiet.
If you go to "Live View Functions" in the Menu, there is an option called "Silent Shoot".
It has 2 modes and it is very quiet!

in2fx
20-07-2010, 4:53pm
please excuse my naivety, but what is the advatages of a full frame body like the 5D over a crop frame body like the 7D ? and don't get too technical on me :o

joele
20-07-2010, 7:30pm
- Enlarging less to reach a given print size
- Better high ISO performance
- Better Depth of Field control
- Generally lot better viewfinder (larger)

RaoulIsidro
20-07-2010, 7:46pm
please excuse my naivety, but what is the advatages of a full frame body like the 5D over a crop frame body like the 7D ? and don't get too technical on me :o

Pretend that there's a hole in the ceiling projecting a clear image on the dining table as big as a dinner plate.
A large slice of sandwich will be able to capture so much of the projected image. This represents the full frame sensor.
Now place a small biscuit where the slice of bread used to be. The biscuit represents the cropped sensor.
The image projected didn't change, but the biscuit can only capture so much.

mikew09
20-07-2010, 8:59pm
- Enlarging less to reach a given print size
- Better high ISO performance
- Better Depth of Field control
- Generally lot better viewfinder (larger)

Interesting thread

JorgD
20-07-2010, 9:28pm
I am glad you did not ask for the disadvantages of a full frame sensor Steve but only for the advantages :) Joele pretty much nailed it 100%. Can't see any other advantages either.

The biscuit example of Raoul is correct if you use the same lens on both cameras. But because you can get lenses with a much wider field of view for crop sensors than full frame sensors, at the end of the day both cameras see exactly the same sandwhich if you stay with Canon lenses, or if you go for non-genuine lenses the reverse is actually true. The crop sensor sees the whole sandwich and the full frame camera can only see the biscuit and misses the rest of the world.

in2fx
20-07-2010, 9:49pm
Thanks for the replies.... although my head a spinning a little from that (I'm a bit of a gumby and sometimes take a little while to get it) LOL

It will be quite a while before I look for a new body, but am dreaming about another lens or two before anything else and then maybe looking towards something like the 7D in the distant future.

joele
20-07-2010, 9:51pm
Ohh disadvantages are there too ;-)

in2fx
21-07-2010, 8:03am
Ohh disadvantages are there too ;-)

really!!
can you elaborate on that a little ?

I know that my EF-S lenses will not work on a full frame but EF lenses will (I'm not a total dumby :) )

Mircula
21-07-2010, 9:17am
You recon the price for used 40ds goes down once the 60d comes?

I guess it might be as the 40d users want to upgrade...

joele
21-07-2010, 9:47am
really!!
can you elaborate on that a little ?

- FF Cameras generally cost more
- FF Cameras are generally bigger
- Lenses (wider end) are generally going to be bigger as they have to cover a larger sensor, often more expensive too.
- As you said more lens choice for crop cameras simply due to them being more popular at the moment, and the fact you can use both types of lenses.

So it boild down (to me) to size, cost and weight.

Raptor Reptiles
21-07-2010, 11:31am
Harvey Norman at Caringbagh on the 18 7 10 sold me the 50d for $843 on the box priced at $1599 and the Tamron 18 200mm a14 lens $400 box price was $749, lexar professional udma 8gb card $100 and the box price was $159.95 all after the sale ended.Nearly brought the 550d(was very small and difficult for me to hold) but the 50d suits my big hands better and seemed a better buy as it is the fist slr i have purchased.It was a fair drive from where i live but worth the 3hour round trip.

mikew09
21-07-2010, 2:45pm
Harvey Norman at Caringbagh on the 18 7 10 sold me the 50d for $843 on the box priced at $1599 and the Tamron 18 200mm a14 lens $400 box price was $749, lexar professional udma 8gb card $100 and the box price was $159.95 all after the sale ended.Nearly brought the 550d(was very small and difficult for me to hold) but the 50d suits my big hands better and seemed a better buy as it is the fist slr i have purchased.It was a fair drive from where i live but worth the 3hour round trip.

Very good choice, the 50D is very good buying at the run out price. I couldn't resist buying one. Always on a bit of a budget and I was tossing up between the 7D and the 50D but at the run out price it was easy decision.
I think you be very happy with the 50.

Mike

Raptor Reptiles
21-07-2010, 3:45pm
Was the price that made it easy this way.Felt like i got good value for the money.Been tossing up to buy the 550d for and was waiting for them to go down.And im more than happy to buy a run out model.It the same as buying a 3 year old car that is brand new at half price.Very happy with the camera now ill get some more add ons.

twister
21-07-2010, 8:03pm

You are able to choose 2 other options for stealth shutter release making it very quiet.
If you go to "Live View Functions" in the Menu, there is an option called "Silent Shoot".
It has 2 modes and it is very quiet!

Thanks! :D

JorgD
22-07-2010, 6:47pm
The biggest advantage of crop sensors over FF is that the effective focal length of any lens is 1.6x that of the FF camera, so for action photographers this means that they get a lot closer to the action.

Other advantages are size and weigth, cost and an inbuilt flash for emergency use.

And finally shooting speed (frames per second) is generally higher on crop sensor cameras, which can be quite useful for sports / media photography.

So the real question when deciding format is do I want lower noise at high ISO or do I want less weight, better telephoto ability and faster shooting speeds.

Schmenz
15-08-2010, 7:23pm
Just a quick update.

If the 60D happens it will be announced at the end of the month :D

dp624
15-08-2010, 9:26pm
Isn't the 60D as good as confirmed? Saw some pics here and there

Schmenz
15-08-2010, 9:28pm
pretty much. some people were saying it would be scrapped due to the creation of the 7d.

The xxD series usually comes out Aug/Sept. And I saw the Canon launch night details at work today.