PDA

View Full Version : Light modifiers, what do you use?

Luna-blu
01-07-2010, 6:14pm
I have decided to buy (read: am allowed) to buy a studio setup, and I've decided on a Ranger RX AS speed kit, Mainly for the high output and portability options.
As for modifiers, I hear the deep throat octa is a versatile piece of kit so will probably grab one of them too.
In supporting roles I have an SB-900 and SB-600 respectively and can get a couple of qikmounts for them so the accesories can go between lights.

Question is though, what modifiers should I get? grids? snoots? smaller softboxes?

What's your favourite modifier and why?

Luna

MarkChap
01-07-2010, 6:20pm
Yep, all of the above :)

Seriously, it is going to be a continual thing I think, I like snoots and grids for the directional control they give.
Smaller softbox - maybe less so

I @ M
01-07-2010, 6:36pm
I see lots of impressive photos taken with a single light and a beauty dish and have always wanted to try one but the manufacturer of my lights went out of business 100 years ago and as such they aren't available but I would put one of them on your list to suit the Elinchroms.

Luna-blu
01-07-2010, 7:05pm
Thanks for the replies, I assumed that a restricter would compliment a softbox and give variety.

As for the beaty dish, I found this today http://www.studiolighting.net/are-you-serious-a-5900-beauty-dish/ , not sure whether it's a good substitute or not but for the price it looks good.