PDA

View Full Version : D700 not as sharp as D200

Mr Lensbaby
01-07-2010, 5:17pm
Im still getting used to the D700 and my only concern is the jpeg pix that I manage to take are no were as sharp out of camera as they were from the D200 or D40X

Any suggestions of tips on in-camera settings

ricktas
01-07-2010, 5:40pm
Umm..are you using the same lenses,m shooting at the same apertures, shutter speeds, etc? Cause sharpness can be caused by a whole range of factors, not just the camera body.

The only way you can really test this is to shoot the same thing with both cameras, with the same lens and same settings, under the same lighting conditions etc, and then compare the two. It might be a particular lens that is the cause.

I @ M
01-07-2010, 5:58pm
Nope, you aren't imagining it Mr. LB, D700 Jpeg or NEF images do appear less sharp than the default images from the D200.
Comparing the CCD sensor of the D200 to the CMOS sensor of the D700 takes a bit more work to see where the D700 really shines.
Some of it comes down to the settings in the "picture control" that you have selected in the camera, I believe the default settings are on the "low" side and after a bit of experimentation I turned in camera sharpening off totally and prefer to sharpen with either the unsharp mask or hi pass sharpening method of Capture NX.
The big difference there is that that the latitude allowed between a sharp image and a visibly "over sharpened" image is very much increased with the D700, it only seemed to take a very small increase of sharpness with the D200 to go from good to bad where as much more sharpening seems to be able to applied to the D700 image before it starts to look "bad". I am referring to the same lenses used under identical to near identical conditions and at the final image stage you should be able to have identical sharpness in images between the two bodies but the D700 will reign supreme with dynamic range and colours.
Try going into the D700 menu and adjusting the pre set picture control "standard" settings of either 3 or 4 in the sharpening slider up to about 5 or 6 and see how you go with the jpeg shots then.

mongo
01-07-2010, 6:01pm
This is very disturbing news !

Mongo has been saving for a D700 ( or it’s soon to be replacement) to move on from his D200 but you are telling Mongo this is a misguided dream.

Before Mongo despairs completely, check your in camera settings for Jpeg files i.e. the sharpening, tone, compression and other factors and make sure they are the same in both cameras (or as close as they will allow). Take identical pictures with both. Also compare Raw images from both to see if there is any quality gain from the D700 sensor over the D200.

Please report back because Mongo will be losing a lot of fur over this until he hears good news.

I @ M
01-07-2010, 6:05pm
Mongo, read the post above yours, keep the D200 cos no matter what anyone says about that beast it is still a very very capable camera, buy the D700 (or replacement which can't be all that far away and will probably have the D3s innards ) and be happy ever after.

I @ M
01-07-2010, 6:28pm
Surprised that as a D700 owner, you aren't shooting in raw!

Makes no difference to sharpening, NEF or jpeg, the D700 images need more sharpening in PP or above the default level in the camera menu, it isn't a fault, rather an advantage at having much more latitude to get the end result that is more closely aligned to that which you want from the image.

kiwi
01-07-2010, 6:46pm
Less sharp but also more detail ?

arthurking83
01-07-2010, 8:57pm
pixel density!

D70s is similar. Can accept a much more rigorous USM routine than the D300 can.(EDIT: in some cases where moire is not an issue)

With the same settings on the D300 images(in CaptureNX), as with the D70s images, I've seen more haloing from the D300 images.

Mind you this is only ever with the raw files in CaptureNX. I don't sharpen in camera... even with any (test)jpgs shot in camera.

D700(and hence D3 and D3s) have the same pixel density as the older 6Mp Dx sensors(D100, D70's D50, D40) do.
Also each of these camera bodies will have a specific AA filter(in front of the sensor) too.
I remember that there was a lot of comment on how much less sharp the D100 was compared to the D70(and s) even though they shared the same sensor. The AA filter was stronger on the D70 cameras, and subsequently produce much more moire(colour moire). Moire is bad(when you see it in your images) I'd rather have a slightly weaker AA filter and hence slightly less sharp images straight off the sensor, rather than not be able to remove moire artefacts in any images.

USM or High Pass is a better way to get sharper images.

mongo
01-07-2010, 10:09pm
Mongo, read the post above yours, keep the D200 cos no matter what anyone says about that beast it is still a very very capable camera, buy the D700 (or replacement which can't be all that far away and will probably have the D3s innards ) and be happy ever after.

This is somewhat reassuring to know. Mongo is still quite fond of the D200 generally.

Andrew, you had (or have ) a D200. Mongo would love to know what in camera settings to use (in Jpeg) to get the best out of this old beast at up to 400ISO as far as sharpening without too much noise is concerned. What can you tell Mongo about this ??

DJT
01-07-2010, 10:15pm
Mr LB, it just so happens I have one of those marvelous, beautiful D200's that you speak of. I may consider a swap. I'll even throw in a free cd player & speakers:th3:

Redgum
01-07-2010, 10:20pm
Im still getting used to the D700 and my only concern is the jpeg pix that I manage to take are no were as sharp out of camera as they were from the D200 or D40X

Any suggestions of tips on in-camera settings
Let's know what lens you're using. As mentioned by Rick there are a lot of issues here other than just the sensor. If you're still running DX lens there are a number of things you need to look at. In general my D700 is far superior to my old D200 in every department.