PDA

View Full Version : Borderless Printing

Dylfish
01-07-2010, 11:46am
Hey Guys,

This might sound stupid but I’ve cropped all my photos to be 8x10 size and when I go to print out on A4 photo paper the preview is always too large and I have to choose to scale the image to fit the paper.

A4 paper size should be big enough for 8x10 with space for me to trim it down later but obviously this isn’t the case. I have a feeling it could have to do with the border/margin that is set up with the paper.

Using PS CS4 does anybody know how to get my printer (Epson 1410 A3+) to print borderless on A4 paper giving me enough paper to print at true 8x10? I’ve looked through all the printer settings but I’m sure I’m missing something somewhere.

Thanks Guys!

soulman
01-07-2010, 12:49pm
I'm finding it a little hard to understand the issue, but I am trying. An 8 X 10" image should just fit on an A4 piece of paper, but it won't be borderless because 203.2mm (8") is less than 210mm (the width of A4) and the same with the height. If you're telling the printer to print borderless and feeding it an image too small to be printed this way then it might try to scale it up. Why are you trying to print borderless? Shouldn't you just be trying to print the 8 X 10 image as it is on the A4 paper?

JM Tran
01-07-2010, 12:55pm
I think its impossible what u are trying to achieve with your printer. An 8x10 print on an A4 or 8x12 paper size will result in an inch of white on both sides of the photo, or 2 inch to one side of the photo depending on the printer. Trying to get no white borders will result in a stretched photo. You need to feed the printer proper 8x10 photo paper to get proper 8x10 prints with no need for trimming after

Dylfish
01-07-2010, 1:27pm
the only epson premium glossy i can find is A4 and ive cropped all my images to 8x10 size.

When i print photoshop is trying to tell me the original source image is larger than a4, and hence larger than 8x10. the only way it get it down small enough is to scale the image down to fit within the a4's borders.

Im just wondering why when ive cropped the images @ 8x10 the print preview is showing the image larger than A4, which in turn is already larger than 8x10.

i hope that explains it properly.

soulman
01-07-2010, 2:11pm
Im just wondering why when ive cropped the images @ 8x10 the print preview is showing the image larger than A4, which in turn is already larger than 8x10.This sounds like the crux of it. I would be checking my assumptions - when you get image info in PS, have you triple checked that it is set to print at 8 X 10? In Page Setup, is the paper size definitely set to A4? Given that you can't print your images borderless on A4 paper, you should turn that off, or change the paper selection from A4 Borderless to just A4, or whatever you need to do on your system to eliminate the borderless thing.

ameerat42
01-07-2010, 2:33pm
Dylfish.
A4 is 297mm x 210mm or 11.7 in x 8.26 in, so the dimensions are not the same. But, to print onto A4, click the box "Scale to Fit Media". You will get a bit of border top and bottom on A4 paper. Otherwise, you will have to "cut" your own 8" x 10" paper and set it as a "Custom Size" for your printer (and HOPE it works). See image for CS2, but the same thing. Am.

ameerat42
01-07-2010, 2:36pm
PS. To answer your 2nd Q, I'd say it's because part of the original image exceeds the borders set for the paper by your printer. Even though it's an A3 printer, you're still putting A4 paper into it aren't you?

soulman
03-07-2010, 3:52pm
I'd say it's because part of the original image exceeds the borders set for the paper by your printer.Good point. 3mm each side may be too little for the printer. Odd that it happens when trying to print borderless, but one should check everything.

Erin
03-07-2010, 4:17pm
Print full size on A3 then crop to perfect 8x10. It's what I do. A4 is not 8x10".

Most printers simply will not let you print borderless. The heads can't do it and need a little breathing room on all sides of the page.

inmotion
03-07-2010, 8:21pm
HI I think most/all printers will print borderless and for sure the 8x10 should print borderless
on A4 I use Epson R800 or 3800 and this works for both models.The print preview will show what is going to print so use this to your advantage.You should be able to print any size that is smaller than the paper borderless or not.So re check as suggested your page set up is at A4 paper and you can select whether the image prints central.Remember every other epson works so methodically go through the settings

cheers jim