PDA

View Full Version : Lens Hood recommendations

Bax
30-06-2010, 1:27pm
I'm chasing a lens hood for the Canon 70-200 f/4 and I was contemplating getting one for the 50mm f1.8 while I was at it (to make manual focussing easier)

And I was wondering where people get their hoods from, I've seen genuines for 60+, but on ebay you can get replicas for 15 dollars. Is that sufficient, do they mount securely?

RamblinR
30-06-2010, 3:28pm
Check out this ebay seller
I got a lens hood from here and it's like the original canon and is also flocked inside

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/photoworldshop__W0QQ_armrsZ1

A rubber hood may be a better purchase for the nifty fifty as its a very fragile lens and if you were to knock the hood it may damage the lens (just a thought). Should be able to purchase one of these cheap and they just screw into the front of the lens.

Cheers

gaidin
30-06-2010, 6:48pm
Just go with the ebay option. I picked up one for my Nikkor 35/2 and it works great...the proprietary ones are just overpriced!

mpot
01-07-2010, 10:37pm
I'm chasing a lens hood for the Canon 70-200 f/4 and I was contemplating getting one for the 50mm f1.8 while I was at it (to make manual focussing easier)

Didn't you get a lens hood with the 70-200 f/4? I got a hood with mine.

And I was wondering where people get their hoods from, I've seen genuines for 60+, but on ebay you can get replicas for 15 dollars. Is that sufficient, do they mount securely?

Have a look at dealextreme.com - they have knock-off brands of lens hoods very cheap (prices are in USD$), and it's free shipping from Hong Kong!
I have a few third-party hoods from dealextreme.com - and they work fine.

Indigo
02-07-2010, 10:19am
Ebay, do a search on canon 52mm lens hood- I recently bought one for the 50mm f1.8 for
$6.80 Postage free from Hong Kong, had it in 4 days. ;)
Indigo

OzzieTraveller
02-07-2010, 2:16pm
G'day Bax

have you considered making one yourself??

I do lots of long-lens work ... 200 => 600 stuff & all the lens hoods sold are designed for the w/a end of the zoom, not the 'long' end of the zoom, such that I was getting lens flare off bright objects just out of the focal area, but still close enough to be 'seen' by the front element of the lens

So I got a plastic drinking 'glass' ........$1.80
chopped the bottom off it
got an old coloured screw-in filter from film camera days & removed the glass
Glued it into the bottom of the glass ...$0.20
sprayed it with matt black paint .........$12 - with lots left over for more :)
etc etc

here 'tiz - much like any other
http://i46.tinypic.com/14y0fmt.jpg

Regards, Phil