PDA

View Full Version : Cant turn laptop off

Papou
29-06-2010, 9:04pm
Did some cleaning up of registry, temp files and startup on the laptop and dont know if its coincidence or not but cant turn off my laptop via the "Start/Standby/restart click icons!!??..
anyone have an idea what i "St#@@ed up lol??.
How do i fix it!!??:o..

kiwi
29-06-2010, 9:07pm
Push the power button for 10 seconds ?

Papou
29-06-2010, 9:48pm
Will that also reset my abillity to turn it off via the mouse from the stop/restart icon??..
Appreciate your help ey:).

kiwi
29-06-2010, 9:59pm
All it should do is turn the laptop off, then you can restart hopefully, you're brave for doing reg edits

Papou
29-06-2010, 10:06pm
Nah just run my regular Glary cleanup/checkups for temp files etc and "Lo n Behold!!" A problemo lol..
Guess something must occasionally happen ta test one ey :)..

OzzieTraveller
30-06-2010, 2:21pm
G'day papou

Rick's on the button - hold the button for a minimum of 10 seconds (I've sometimes needed 30 secs). Windows has 'grown-up' to the point where it can recover from a forced-shutdown and restart again cleanly

Tho - as I heard many years ago at an educational conference in IT in schools, sponsored my Microsoft +others - one of the speakers on stage ... "when you're dealing with microsoft product, you need to make allowances..."

Regards, Phil

Phil Rayner
30-06-2010, 3:36pm
Dear Papou,
One thing I have learned over the years is not to mess with the Registry. If you turn off by pushing the button for 10 secs, on re-start you will be given the opportunity to start at a previous point in time when all things were working. Do so and then go back to a restore point (through Control Panel) - pick one dated prior to your messing with the Registry- and all should be well.

Good luck

ameerat42
30-06-2010, 5:22pm
Dear Papou,
One thing I have learned over the years is not to mess with the Registry. If you turn off by pushing the button for 10 secs, on re-start you will be given the opportunity to start at a previous point in time when all things were working. Do so and then go back to a restore point (through Control Panel) - pick one dated prior to your messing with the Registry- and all should be well.

Good luck
Papou. What OS are you using? In XP Pro I would have to do a System Restore. Am.