PDA

View Full Version : Ferne Millen Photography in Torquay says Hi

FERNEMILLEN
29-06-2010, 1:08pm
Hey Fellow photographer friends

I am a freelance photographer in Torquay Australia.
My website is www.fernemillen.com

I am writing today to find out about buying studio light kits (bowens)
from the USA and if this is advisable? Do you know what would be required to do this i.e. would I just need the power point US-AUS converter and or is there any other issues/advice anyone could give me based on purchasing this equipment overseas?

All in all I am doing this to save but if anyone has any advice on other online retailers I should consider here in Aus I would appreciate hearing from them

Ciao for now

Ferne

ricktas
29-06-2010, 1:11pm
I have moved your thread, cause it is more an enquiry about flash gear, than an introduction.

MarkChap
29-06-2010, 2:02pm
you would certainly need to make sure that the lights them selves were good for 240 volts.

I was browsing the other day, can't remember exactly where and there were a lot that were listed at 110 volts a some listed at 240 volts, that will be the biggest caution.

As for the plug, most lights will have a lead that plugs into the light, with that sqaure (same as on your computer) plug,so you would be able to just get a new lead

ricktas
29-06-2010, 2:02pm
onto the topic. Lighting kits cost well over $1000.00. As soon as you import one you are liable to pay a customs duty and GST on any imported item valued at over $1K. So when considering your purchase options, add in the freight cost and then consider additional charges that could easily be in the hundreds of $$ to get your bowens here from the USA. Also note that if something goes wrong, and you have warranty issues, you may have to pay to have your gear freighted back to the USA for repair/replacement.

Sometimes it is easier to pay a bit more and buy locally.

bigdazzler
29-06-2010, 5:43pm
Further to what Rick says .. Bowens lights arent cheap so you need to consider warranty conditions as well with buying OS. If they break, its a fair chunk of change to lose if they are not warranted in Australia. Not sure what Bowens policy is on this though.

FERNEMILLEN
29-06-2010, 6:59pm
Thanks for your reply
I think I've decided to buy local so I can cover warranty issues and tax. Yours and other people's suggestions helped me to come to this decision.
Thank you
Ferne