PDA

View Full Version : Keywords not seen in Lightroom when entered via Paint Shop Pro

essaytee
29-06-2010, 10:31am
I'm in the process of evaluating cataloguing software. At the moment I'm trialling Paint Shop Pro, ACDSee Pro and Lightroom 3.

My question relates to Lightroom as regards tags or keywords.

In both Paint Shop Pro and ACDSee I was able to enter keywords against a photo and was able to see the keywords applied in the other application. That is, keyword 'tree' entered via ACDSee, switching to Paint Shop Pro I confirmed the entry of the keyword against the photo.

Where in Lightroom can I confirm the entry of keywords entered via other software programs? I'll point out that checking the exif/iptc section of Lightroom does not reveal the keywords entered by other software programs. I'm wondering if something must be done in order to refresh things.

essaytee
29-06-2010, 11:57am
Answering my own question. Came across the right-click option 'Metadata' with options of saving and reading to/from a file. Not sure if I like this aspect, would prefer if entering keywords that by default they are saved to the image file (as well as the catalog).

ricktas
29-06-2010, 12:08pm
Lightroom doesnt save anything to the actual image file. The whole programme works by using a side-car file to store all your data and alterations to files etc. It is a basic concept about how lightroom works. So for any Lightroom changes to be saved into a file, you have to specify that is what you want to do.

essaytee
29-06-2010, 12:40pm
Lightroom doesnt save anything to the actual image file. The whole programme works by using a side-car file to store all your data and alterations to files etc. It is a basic concept about how lightroom works. So for any Lightroom changes to be saved into a file, you have to specify that is what you want to do.

Are there functions in Lightroom whereby mass updating of file information is possible? I'm assuming there should be. What I'm wanting is when dishing out photos to whoever I want the keywords ('n stuff) to be included.

I'm also looking at online options and at this stage I'll probably sign up with Smugmug. I like the appearance and saves me stuffing around with managing online photo software (Coppermine, Gallery etc.). I mention this as when files are uploaded, if keywords are present, keywords will also be created/applied at the Smugmug end. I'm wanting to do as much work locally before uploading. I can't recall, but if I apply captions and descriptions I believe these will be created as well (online).

ricktas
29-06-2010, 1:03pm
not sure, but it would always be as you export the photos, so check in the export settings, cause Lightroom itself is not setup to do anything to the actual file until you export it. All your edits etc are not applied to your photos, they are stored in the side-car file. The only time anything is really applied to your photos is as you export them.

etherial
29-06-2010, 8:19pm
I'm not sure that is quite right Rick. There are a couple of settings in LR that can be set in the Metadata tab in catalog settings - namely:

"Include develop settings in metadata inside jpeg, tiff and psd files."

and

"Automatically write changes into XMP"

XMP data is stored inside many image files, but it can't be stored in a raw file and that is where a sidecar file is needed. So to the OP, read up on these settings, because they may just do what you are looking for.