PDA

View Full Version : Will my camera do the job

pegasus
28-06-2010, 11:57pm
Hi guys i have a panasonic DMC FZ10 with an extra lens Lumix wide conversion lens 0.8x Min .28mm
My question what sort of lens do i need to take your typical indoor realtor type photo where i will get most of the room in the shot, ie in a smaller bedroom, bathroom type room, With the present lens cannot get enough of the room in the shot. Hope this makes sense.
Can i get a lens to fit my camera to do the job or do i need to upgrade the camera
Would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Sam

Old Skool
29-06-2010, 8:05am
That camera has a 35-420mm lens as standard so your wide angle conversion lens only brings it back to 28mm - not really wide enough for what you want. I think that lens is the widest you can get for this camera. Without spending on a new camera have you considered taking a few panorama shots and stitching them with say Microsoft ICE. That's a free program that does an excellent job of creating panorama pics.
Other alternative is to spend plenty to get a DSLR and a wide angle zoom - ie Tokina 11-16mm.

ameerat42
29-06-2010, 9:55am
Yep. Try a pan. Am.

OzzieTraveller
29-06-2010, 8:04pm
G'day pegasus

You are asking a lot from a general purpose camera
Building interiors introduce all sorts of issues [wide angle, lighting, showing windows, corners, wall colours etc etc] and to ask for your camera to produce perfect verticals & horizontals is getting a bit difficult

Yes [as others above] have said, you can multi-shoot and stitch to make a pano [I did this a few months back with my parents unit when it was for sale] - but the stitched pano will not be as 'perfect' as a single exposure done via a well-corrected super-wide lens on a properly mounted tripod giving perfectly squared-up horizontals & verticals

You can do a 'reasonable' stitched pano, but exposure accuracy will be hard to quarantee

Also ALL camera lenses give a very tiny brightness imbalance between the extreme LHS vs the extreme RHS ... if you want to have fun some time take any image into PS, double the width of the canvas, import & flip the same image and put the two extreme edges side-by-side and see the brightness differences

If your project is a "one-off" then stitch a couple of images and do your best - if you have any intention of making money out of the task, follow other advices and go dSLR and a very expensive but very damn good lens

and BTW - I junked my own panos when I saw the real estate commissioned pix of my parents place
Regards, Phil

old dog
29-06-2010, 8:10pm
new camera. I had the fz30 and know your dilema. Dslr and wide zoom I`d say. I have the 12-24 nikkor on a D80 and it would do this job very well.