PDA

View Full Version : Converting slides to PC

menz414
30-08-2007, 8:55pm
HELP!

I am after some advice, my parents have many thousand of slides. Anyone have any advice in which scanner is best to buy to scan these slides. Thought it my be a nice Christmas present to present all these slides on DVD.

I look forward to your recommendations.

hoffy
30-08-2007, 9:08pm
I think the big question is how much do you want to spend.

You could get a Flatbed or MFC with a slide/negative holder...that would be your cheapest option (thats what I use...I get by) or you could go a purpose built neg/slide scanner

THe flatbed/MFC route would set you back around the $300 mark. I am currently using the Canon (the only thing canon in my house :action5: ;) )MP810 & its reasonably good (I wont say its fantastic, but you buy what you can afford)

From what I have seen, Neg & Slide scanners start at around $1000 & go up from there.

arthurking83
30-08-2007, 11:13pm
If there re so many, and that's it, and you'll never return to the slide scanner to scan slides ever again, maybe a photo lab is the 'better' option??

Of course this implies that you won't have a need for a scanner ever again, and it's a once off project!!

Dedicated slide scanners will do a better job of it than a standard flatbed with a slide adapter.

menz414
31-08-2007, 8:50am
Hi Guy's, there is an epson v800 for around the $800 mark. I think this is a bit high for a one of job, but have found the cheapest photo lab is $1.25 each scan, so buying the scanner for the one of job would be the cheaper option!

hoffy
31-08-2007, 9:01am
Buy the scanner....onsell when you are done. Even if you sell the thing for $400 after you are done, you are well ahead.

Be wary though, scanning in with a flat bed type scanner is a slow & tedious job....

menz414
01-09-2007, 10:57pm
Thanks for the advice guy’s, I have just bought a slide scanner of Ebay for under $400. I will let you know how I get on.

Roof
02-09-2007, 9:11am
I did the slides for my wife when i wasn't working, I took me a week to scan it in and then i had to clean the images, It was the biggest computer job i have ever done.

So good luck mate......

Pam
07-09-2007, 6:28am
I have done this exercise too...........bit its a labour of love isn't it
good luck
Pam

ricktas
07-09-2007, 8:05am
i had the same issue./ My parent bought a Plustek slide/negative scanner and away i went scanning the slides for them.

Must say for a cheapie scanner, it worked well.

http://www.proscan.com.au/Plustek_scanners/Plustek_OpticFilm_Scanners/Plustek_OpticFilm_7200.htm

twofruitz
10-09-2007, 10:38am
My recommendation would be the HP C7180 for about $350~ Will provide a reasonable scan quality and good prints.

MarkW
10-09-2007, 6:19pm
I'm yet to go down the path of scanning a few thousand slides from my old scuba days but I had a quick go with my HP3770 and its crap. Extremely slow to use, huge file sizes with very little to show for it and the lamp doesn't seem to be quite sufficient - always brightening the image.

I'm yet to try a dedicated slide scanner but it has to be better that a flat bed with a lid attachment. I certainly wouldn't buy a flat bed or a multi function style scanner when I get round to finally doing these slides. Luckily they store well.

Scanning slides sux

celibaterifle
13-02-2008, 7:44pm
I am about to go through the same process. My question is how to clean the slides/negatives before scanning? I think most of the problems will be dust, but probably some fingerprints too. Air blower, Lens tissue, compressed air?

Any suggestions.

Jim

dejavu
13-02-2008, 10:07pm
Why not get a second hand slide scanner and go from there? They are really cheap these days due to the influx of digital SLR's.

Now, before you get carried away, 100 slide is already *a lot* to scan, let along 1000 slides! When I used to scan my positives with my CanonScan FS4000US, I would be very selective on what I scan. Examin the slides on a light table with a loupe to ensure it's worth scanning.

Anyhow, IMHO, most consumer flatbeds with slide adapters produce very mediocre results. It's also good to get a scanning with IR dust/scratch removal feature, which isn't common on the flatbeds. Minilabs are quite expensive when it comes to slide scanning due to the timer consuming nature of the process.

If you are really keen, I say get a second hand film scanner and knock yourself out. On the CanonScan, I usually scan strips of 6's (rather than mounted, which is in lots of 4's), and I can set the scanner to batch scan and autosave the files. With that many slides, you are likely to need new HDD to store it all and you will be spending hundreds of hours in front of the computer touching up.

MarkW
14-02-2008, 7:41am
I am about to go through the same process. My question is how to clean the slides/negatives before scanning? I think most of the problems will be dust, but probably some fingerprints too. Air blower, Lens tissue, compressed air?

Any suggestions.

Jim

When you say compressed air, I'm assuming you mean in a can (aerosol). Compressed air from your garage air compressor is too strong and will have lots of contaminants (oil/water/bits of grit etc).

dejavu
14-02-2008, 8:19am
Isopropanol alcohol is the way if you need to remove grease. Water is a no no.