PDA

View Full Version : Starblitz 1000 auto macro-lite ring

britinozz
28-06-2010, 8:30pm
Hi
Is this flash any good seen it on ebay cheap would it suit my canon 50d for macro.
Many thanks

clm738
28-06-2010, 9:17pm
Hi, I had a look at the flash and it seems OK but it appears to put out a constant light only, either one side or the other and on full. Does not seem to work as a "flash".
You would have to make sure, some way, that it would work with your 50D.
I strolled through some more ring flashes on the sight and came up with this one, which some AP members use, you should be able to search their threads (try ring flash macro). I don't know anything about this seller, I just picked it at random.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/F165-Macro-O-Flash-Ring-Pentax-AF-540FGZ-Samsung-GX-20-/260598612193?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cace340e1
Spend a bit of time researching, there are quite a few different types on ebay.
Good Luck.

Steadyhands
29-06-2010, 1:16pm
There are a couple of things about that one that worry me.

120 flashes from 2 AA doesn't seem many.
10sec recycle time - a bit long in my view. I rarely fire of multiple bursts, but waiting 10sec could be a pain.
The design seems a bit funky with the body under the tubes.
The guide no is only 5, compare this to guide numbers of 14 for the Canon and Sigma ring Lites.
Looks as if it is Manual only, no ETTL - do you have experience with manually setting flash exposure?

You don't mention if you already have a regular flash head? A normal flash head will have more use in other areas of photography - as well as macro. If you are serious about macro and want a dedicated flash head I'd recommend a Canon MT-24 Twin Lite over teh Ring Light. I have both and the Twin Lite gets more use.It has better adjustments (angle, direction etc) than a ring lite.

I wrote up a lot more in this thread.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23552

britinozz
29-06-2010, 1:18pm
Thanks yeh ive been looking i also have seen that one just not sure what to get.

britinozz
29-06-2010, 1:25pm
many thanks yeh i just got canon flash.