PDA

View Full Version : Canon 50D help needed.

BecM
28-06-2010, 1:27pm
I have just inherited the most incredible gift. A canon 50D (barley used) and two lens. A canon efs 17 - 55 and a ef 70 -300.

I have been using a canon 400D for the last two years and have a basic understanding of this camera and the basic lenses that came with it.

I am going to buy a book to help me get the most out of the 50D but the lenses escape me. I haven't had much of a chance to play with them yet but which would be the lens I keep on the camera the most? Any information will be very much appreciated. I have large shoes to fill with this camera.

flash
28-06-2010, 1:39pm
you lucky bugger, I had to buy mine, I find the lens I have at the moment (an 18-200) is a very good "all round lens", even though it is the only one I have at the moment I'm finding it a very good lens, I would class it as an "all rounder" but someone will come along with more knowledge than I in such matters

kmcgreg
28-06-2010, 9:36pm
Hi - welcome to the 50D - you will love it. I particularly like the 17-55 lens - great in low light.

I have a couple of 50D books but the best was some instructional DVDs - I am not sure of the rules linking to other sites so you can just google this: Michael Andrews - he makes a variety of great DVDs that I have bought - both on the 50D but also photoshop and flash techniques as well as basic photography - good to get you started even if you aren't a complete noob.

Shelley
28-06-2010, 9:56pm
I have just inherited the most incredible gift. A canon 50D (barley used) and two lens. A canon efs 17 - 55 and a ef 70 -300.

I have been using a canon 400D for the last two years and have a basic understanding of this camera and the basic lenses that came with it.

I am going to buy a book to help me get the most out of the 50D but the lenses escape me. I haven't had much of a chance to play with them yet but which would be the lens I keep on the camera the most? Any information will be very much appreciated. I have large shoes to fill with this camera.

Congrats on this wonderful gift. Its hard for us to say what lens will suit your needs, without knowing what your preferences are photography wise eg., portrait, landscape, nature etc. All I can say try them out and you soon will work out which one stays the most on your camera.

All I can say is try stuff on your camera and there is a lot of information out there that you can use. All the best and happy shooting :)

BecM
29-06-2010, 7:29am
Thanks for the help. I am going to buy a 50D book and get out and use the lenses. I used the 15 - 77 last night (on the cat for lack of anything else) and cannot believe how beautiful it is (Lens not the cat, actually the cat is beautiful but - oh forget it).

RamblinR
30-06-2010, 3:37pm
Wow, what a fabulous gift to receive. Lucky you.

Your walk around lens will probably the the 17-55 but you should carry the 70-300 with you for when you need to swap.

Enjoy your new equipment - you will looooove it.

David
30-06-2010, 7:34pm
Speaking from experience with very similar lenses in my 400D kit when I started out 2 years ago, the question is what type of photography you are talking about. For landscapes the 17-55mm will be the one you go with most and the other when you want to get things far away in closer to you. Be aware though that both lenses function best in the 'safe' zone of F8 or F11 and the 70-300mm gets abit soft sharpness wise beyond 200mm even at the 'safe' zone apetures.

Would I get better lenses then ? No. I spent the first year with my 400D and 2 lenses learning about my camera, composition, the photography basics for different types of photography like waterfalls and seascapes and family happy snaps etc and so on...

It was not until I had the basics down by trail and error that I went after new lenses...but it is of course your decision...I think you have inherited a very good non professional level camera (I have the 50D myself) which is a step up from the 400D (my original camera too) and it took me awhile to get to know the 50D well and take advantage of the upgrade.

I think if you stick to the safe apetures of f8 or f11 for most of your shots the lenses will produce reasonable results, enough to keep you interested and keen to continue and learn more...congrats on the inheritance, hope you get good use from it.