PDA

View Full Version : Which 5D would you buy?

wattsgallery
28-06-2010, 12:24pm
OK variations of the theme exist but here are some specifics - I want to go full frame in Canon and am confronted with these options (I am also shooting a wedding on the weekend and would be keen to have and test the gear before then so some urgency here) -

3 Options I am considering at the moment:

- Used 5D Classic in very good condition from ebay like seller in box can inspect on pick up but no warranty: $1,600-$1,800

- Used 5D Mark II in good condition from a store in box 14 day return policy: $2500

- New 5D Mark II (Aust version) one year warranty plus another if bought using visa at shop: $3070

I am not interested in the video in the 5D II.

Reason for upgrade (from current 40D which I will keep as back up) is IQ, DoF, Low light performance, large print quality.

If it were you - especially if you have experience with both...

Thanks guys.

[Note this is not an invitation for offers to sell so please don't try as that breaches the site rule]

JM Tran
28-06-2010, 12:26pm
the 3rd option, new from the store

the 1st option of the 5D classic is quite expensive, they go for around $1200-$1400 with battery grip now on world average prices

MarkChap
28-06-2010, 12:47pm
You mention IQ in Low Light, no brainer, New 5DII

para
28-06-2010, 12:53pm

+1

Jimbo
28-06-2010, 1:02pm
+1

+2

Never owned a MkI, but love my MkII. The MkI is quite old technology now, for that price you'd be better off with a 7D. Choice is therefore between new and used - personally I'd pay the extra for new, $500 more is worth it for peace of mind.

Longshots
28-06-2010, 1:25pm

+ 3 :)

Xenedis
28-06-2010, 2:13pm
Having owned both the original 5D since 2006 (RIP; it's dead now) and the 5D Mark II, I can tell you that they are both great cameras.

As Jimbo has rightly pointed out, the 5D is quite old now. 2006 is a lifetime ago as far as digital cameras. The higher ISO and low noise of the 5D Mark II makes it very compelling.

While pixel count isn't everything, having more pixels means you have the option to crop significantly, but not throw away too much resolution.

Assuming money is not an issue, I'd be going for a Mark II at this stage.

Having said that, you wouldn't go wrong with the original 5D either, but given its age, buying the current model gives you more current technology and more staying power.

Dylan & Marianne
28-06-2010, 2:40pm
+4 for 5dmkII!
although I did get mine from grey market

wattsgallery
28-06-2010, 3:32pm
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Money is always an issue so I guess that is why I am even considering the other options. My lingering concern on the 5D II is that it will also be 'old technology' in less than 18mths (given a 3yr cycle) but I guess that just makes the 5D 'very' old technology.

Xenedis
28-06-2010, 3:39pm
The 5D Mark II has been around for a while, but the usefulness of a camera comes down to what you do with it.

I had my 5D for years, and had no plans to upgrade, as I wasn't limited by the camera. An older camera will still work as well as it did when it was new. In my case, an upgrade was forced due to an accident.

Whether you want or need the features of the newer camera goes a long way to deciding what to get.

Given you're in the market to upgrade, it makes sense to go with a newer model for the upgrades to the DiG!C processor, live view, sensor cleaning, video mode, higher resolution and better weather sealing that the 5D Mark II offers. If you already ha a 5D as I did, I wouldn't suggest upgrading unless you really want or need some or all of those features.

Philr
28-06-2010, 4:37pm
+4 for 5dmkII!
although I did get mine from grey market

+5 for the 5dmkII brand new, warranty etc never go amiss.

R1titan
28-06-2010, 7:36pm
+1 for the 5D classic.
Im still sad i let mine go, but will try to get my hands on another cos 21mp is overkill for travel, and sRAW sux.

Xenedis
28-06-2010, 7:40pm
+5 for the 5dmkII brand new, warranty etc never go amiss.

Yes, a manufacturer's warranty is a compelling reason to opt for a current-model camera rather than a discontinued model.

21mp is overkill for travel

Naturally you can shoot at a lower resolution, as indeed you can with the original 5D.

and sRAW sux.

You're not obliged to use it.

R1titan
28-06-2010, 11:36pm
Naturally you can shoot at a lower resolution, as indeed you can with the original 5D.

You're not obliged to use it.

Yes , but u lose sharpness too...and on this point i found the classic to excel from all the camera bodies i've used to date.
Not to mention the value, lol

I dont want to seem too biased cos they are both awesome sensors.
The high iso and noise handling of the 5D2 is also a blessing if u shoot that way :D

ausguitarman
28-06-2010, 11:40pm
I think we're up to +6 on the new 5DMKII :D.

JM Tran
28-06-2010, 11:58pm
Yes , but u lose sharpness too...and on this point i found the classic to excel from all the camera bodies i've used to date.
Not to mention the value, lol

I dont want to seem too biased cos they are both awesome sensors.
The high iso and noise handling of the 5D2 is also a blessing if u shoot that way :D

that would be due to the very weak AA filter on the 5D classic, making its files a lot sharper than the 5DMKII and all other Canon cameras, the sharpness of its files are just behind the original 11mp 1Ds actually.

wattsgallery
01-07-2010, 3:53pm
Ok guys - read all the advice and took it on board - just marched down to the camera store to buy a 5D Mark II and......................picked up a 5D classic, as new with 12 months store warranty for just under half the price of a $3k 5D II (which no-one should dispute is a fantastic camera).

Was resolved to go for a 5DII (despite the marital risk) and had given up trying to find a decent 5D (esp as I was sceptical of ebay for these). Anyway I was only tempted because it has practically no sign of use, sensor looked good, serial number is late 3***** (ie one of the last ones made in 2008), no hotshoe marks and a return or repair warranty at a huge camera store. It was still overpriced but I talked them down 25% and was happy to pay a little premium for seeing it first and a clear warranty.

Hope it will work out. I would have like LV, higher ISO range and a bit more cropping but I wasnt interested in video and the key was moving to FF quality and I like the sharpness of the 5D. Plus I figured if it was good enough for the Wedding industry and semi-pros 2 years ago it should still be capable produce fantastic photos (subject to user error). If I really want the Mark II (or III) later I dont think I will lose too much trading it then.

Thanks for your input it wasn't ignored (all post sale reassurance welcome).

Cheers
Josh

mikew09
01-07-2010, 4:00pm
My mate has the 5D MkII, from what I see it is a fanatastic camera. I would go the new MkII but I am one of the poorer hobbiests so will settle for the 50D - still a great camera by the way.

Jules
01-07-2010, 4:16pm
Congrats on the new camera Josh. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the images the 5D produces - I've heard too many people say they kept their original 5D even after upgrading to the MkII or a 1 series. Go out, take some shots, have fun. :)

wattsgallery
01-07-2010, 4:19pm
Thanks Jules -

some shots, yes I better shoot some tomorrow to test this thing as I am shooting a wedding on SATURDAY!!!! No pressure:).

Cheers
Josh