PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a 18-200mm lens for my 400D

Deanne
27-06-2010, 9:05pm
I am tossing up whether to go the Canon brand lens, or are the Sigma or Tamron lenses just as good.

I have seen on sites over the internet that they start at $690 for the Canon brand, in the shops they are about $1200+ depending on where you go, or the sigma and tamron can be picked up for about $400 over the internet.

Which brand to you recommend and why...

ricktas
27-06-2010, 9:18pm
All the 18-200mm lenses are classed as 'kit' lenses. They are all quite good at performing the role for which they are designed.

What are you going to use the lens for? I think in these instances the brand name one often has the edge over the generics.

Ray Heath
27-06-2010, 9:44pm
G'day Deanne

Regardless of brand I'd caution that any zoom with such an extreme range is probably not particularly good at any focal length. 18mm is extreme wide angle whilst 200mm is extreme telephoto. These extremes are completely different things with a huge range in between and to expect one lens to cover this huge range well is being just a little too hopeful.

What do you really need, extreme wide angle or extreme telephoto? Pick one and buy a prime lens. The images will be sharper, the maximum aperture will be greater and the lens will be physically smaller and easier to handle.

peterking
27-06-2010, 11:47pm
I have a Canon one of these and find it for me mostly useless. This goes to what Rick asks. What do you want the lens for?

It took me a long time to move away from the kit lenses and now I am happy I did.

Think first, "What do I want this lens for?" That can often lead to which one to go for.

Whilst I disagree with the first part of Ray's post I thoroughly agree with the second part. I personally have an 18-135 which is brilliant for me.

There is the crux of the matter. What is good for you.

Scotty72
27-06-2010, 11:56pm
Take the time to read this (http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16/) and other reviews.

The reviews of this and other lenses with such extreme ranges appear rather luke warm.

Scotty

Old Skool
28-06-2010, 8:02am
I was tossing up about getting a 18-200 also. Reviews weren't that good, they pointed to the 18-135 as being a better lens. I ended up getting the 18-135 in the end and can't be happier. Great walk around lens, nice and sharp with great colour.

in2fx
22-07-2010, 1:05pm
I bought a EF-S 18-200mm a few months ago to attach to my 550D and after taking it away on a trip with me and photographing Seascapes, Pets and an airshow, I came back very pleased with my purchase and the photos that I captured.
Ok, maybe my expectations are not as high as a lot of the photographers on this forum, but I found it to be very versatle for my skill level :)