PDA

View Full Version : A basic flash lesson

DesmondD
26-06-2010, 4:00pm
For beginners ....
Today I took a few images to show the difference flash can make .
I'm still trying to get myself to spend a little more time and use flash in some images to enhance them .

This is the image according to my camera's choice of exposure , without flash ...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Creative%20flash/zwidelanscapes033.jpg

I had the flash [ SB800 ] on an extension cord held in my left hand , dialed in -1.7 on the camera to darken the background - this setting affects the flash as well , I was in TTL-BL mode and dialed in +1 on the flash since I wanted an overall flash exposure of -0.7 [ -1.7 + 1 = - 0.7 ]

without flash at -1.7 :

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Creative%20flash/zwidelanscapes032.jpg

Flash held at arms length ...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Creative%20flash/zwidelanscapes031.jpg

As I say , I wish I spent more time with flash - I had the wb set at 'shade' to warm the light up a bit.

Scotty72
27-06-2010, 5:19pm
Right idea in the last one (bring out the sky) but, a touch heavy handed with the flash (easy to do, I do it all the time :()

An other approach would be to slow the shutter right down (tripod) and use just the slightest flash pulse.

DesmondD
27-06-2010, 7:15pm
Right idea in the last one (bring out the sky) but, a touch heavy handed with the flash (easy to do, I do it all the time :()

An other approach would be to slow the shutter right down (tripod) and use just the slightest flash pulse.

I was quite happy with the flash output being -0.7 , here's a crop of the facial area with a near perfect histogram which means it would make for a better print than if I backed it off more . The darker background may make it appear brighter than it is but then again the 'right amount' of flash is also dependent on personal opinion .

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/dvdowns/Creative%20flash/zcwidelanscapes031.jpg

Slowing the shutter down would just bring the sky back out again and wouldn't give the effect I was aiming for .

iancpool
22-11-2010, 10:11am
You are right about it being a personal taste thing. It doesn't really matter how perfect your histogram is if the photo doesn't 'work' well. Of course if you were aiming for harsh shadows on the face, then that's cool too.

I agree with Scotty72 but it's something you just have to keep doing and you'll work it out. There are many ways to achieve the result you were looking for (both sky and statue exposed nicely) so keep playing and you'll see. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

ElizabethAtkinson
22-11-2010, 12:20pm
Wow, what a difference. I must say, this is a massive learning curve for me (I am yet to get a decent flash, but am saving hard) and the numbers mean nothing to me at the moment. So much to learn, so little time.

ving
22-11-2010, 12:29pm
pretty cool outcome... thanks for sharing. that info will be very helpful to some :)

DND
19-12-2010, 5:16pm
I like it alot, :th3:
It makes the face stand right out from the photo.

Looking forward to more of your flash lessons.

DesmondD
19-12-2010, 5:31pm
I like it alot, :th3:
It makes the face stand right out from the photo.

Looking forward to more of your flash lessons.
Thanks for the feedback - I nee to apply this stuff myself .:)
When the subject isn't moving or talking to me it's easy - but when it is a person it's harder to set these things up and do it properly .
Hopefully I will have a model to photograph locally soon so I ca practice more .

Kerry
20-12-2010, 11:07am
I'm awaiting the arrival of my first flash...Having never used one before, I found the info here very interesting and useful :th3:

DesmondD
20-12-2010, 1:01pm
I'm awaiting the arrival of my first flash...Having never used one before, I found the info here very interesting and useful :th3:

Post the images when you try it :)

Kerry
26-12-2010, 7:59pm
Flash has arrived...Haven't had a chance to use it yet and have to do some research as I've no idea where to start...Might have a play with it tomorrow :)

fimmwolf
27-12-2010, 12:55am
It's amazing just how much of a difference it makes.
I would've liked to have seen a comparison showing what the first image looked like if you had just set the off camera flash to 0.7 with no on camera setting.

And strangely, when I look at that image, i keep seeing an aperture on his forehead....lol

DesmondD
27-12-2010, 1:22pm
It's amazing just how much of a difference it makes.
I would've liked to have seen a comparison showing what the first image looked like if you had just set the off camera flash to 0.7 with no on camera setting.

And strangely, when I look at that image, i keep seeing an aperture on his forehead....lol

I can see that aperture too now that you mention it :)