PDA

View Full Version : Professional photos Question?

AndreaB
25-06-2010, 2:00pm
I find that most of the portrait photographer's images that I see are always too bright, or overly bright. I noticed it first in photos I got done, and then I have since noticed itin a lot of so called "professional" photographers work. Is this something that is considered normal? Is it what is wanted, or is it just inexperience or bad lighting. i might mention that I notice it almost always in outdoor photos, so is it just because there is no other option due to the harsh sun or what?

Sorry for the babbling. I could post examples if you do nto understand what i mean, but I would rather not, as I would feel like I am Critising their work, when really I am just curious.

ricktas
25-06-2010, 2:01pm
You can post LINKS to examples if you like, but you cannot post another person's photography directly onto AP as an image. Doing so is a breach of their copyright over their work.

I think you need to post some link examples to show us what you mean.

SnowA
25-06-2010, 2:29pm
A follow up question for Ricki - wouldn't posting photos (presumably photos not already on AP?) in this context be covered by fair dealing exceptions to copyright, provided the tog/source were acknowledged?

AndreaB
25-06-2010, 2:58pm
here is one example. scroll down tot he ones of the little boy in the elf outfit. They just seem so bright, and I have seen it from a lot of paid photographers

http://anewmanphotography.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B10%3A00&max-results=33

I just wanted to add that \i know this lady, and I do really likeher work, but she is just one of the first ppl i could think of as an example as she did family portraits for us.

ricktas
25-06-2010, 3:08pm
A follow up question for Ricki - wouldn't posting photos (presumably photos not already on AP?) in this context be covered by fair dealing exceptions to copyright, provided the tog/source were acknowledged?

NO. If you use someone else's photo without their permission, even if you acknowledge them as the 'author', you are breaching copyright. Linking to their website is allowed cause you are only directing people to their own site, not taking a copy and using it elsewhere.

AndreaB
25-06-2010, 3:08pm
here is a better example scroll down the the burton family. Those are the portraits she did of my family. Even when we were in the shade, the photos are processed to be very bright and I have seen a few others do it too.

http://anewmanphotography.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html

flash
25-06-2010, 3:14pm
yep I see what you mean, almost to the stage of being "blown out", not my cup of tea but then I'm not a pro!

ricktas
25-06-2010, 3:14pm
Back to Andrea. That is a 'style' of photography that has become popular in recent years. Very bright skin, with over-saturated colours in some parts of the photos. It is something that a lot of clients ask for (cause it is popular). Sort of like selective colouring in wedding photography a few years back.

So it is currently fashionable and as such it is sought by many parents, however, as you know there are alternate processing styles and give it a few years and the trends will shift.

Barb, from Jinky Art (http://www.jinkyart.com.au/) was a pioneer in this processing methodology and she has done very well out of it. She is a highly regarded and sought after photographer.

kiwi
25-06-2010, 3:15pm
its simply a high key look, they are not overexposed, it's just a style in vogue.

kiwi
25-06-2010, 3:16pm
oops, what rick said, lol

JM Tran
25-06-2010, 3:22pm
this style usually works best with children I must add

AndreaB
25-06-2010, 11:15pm
thanks for that now I understand.