PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Silver Effex?

kaiser
25-06-2010, 1:04pm
I'm starting to do a lot more work in Mono and I'm just wondering whether it is worth buying Nik softwares Silver Effex Pro?
Does it have many advantages over the various PS CS4 and LR3 methods?

At the moment I've been using a couple of different techniques in CS4 detailed in the Kelby CS4 book - including B+W adjustment layer, adding a gradient layer or using "calculations", combining these with various blending methods and level/curves.

What does Nik Silver Effex offer what CS4 doesn't? Is it just a better conversion and a wider range of presets?

User opinions appreciated :)

Thanks,

matt.

ricktas
25-06-2010, 2:06pm
I use it. However, I modify the results from it (as I do with all my plugins). I run the plugin on a layer, once it has done it's automated job and I have tweaked the settings it allows, I then move back to my layers and adjust them more to get the result I want. Silver Efex produces some very good mono results. Color Efex also has a black and white module which is quite powerful as well.

kaiser
25-06-2010, 2:27pm
Thanks Rick. I might try and find a trial version and give it a run to see how it compares to my current workflow.

ricktas
25-06-2010, 3:23pm
Thanks Rick. I might try and find a trial version and give it a run to see how it compares to my current workflow.

You can download a trial version direct from the Nik Software website.