PDA

View Full Version : Epson 1410 Help

Dylfish
23-06-2010, 11:02pm
Hey Guys,

How much of a difference is using epson paper with an epson printer going to make?

I got a new A3 Epson 1410 and i got some generic photo paper to do some tests on.

So far all my photos have come out with banding horizontally across the page (very noticable) so ive cleaned and realigned the printer using the software to no avail.

the colours are very over saturated and it looks like its been printed with a very cheap inkjet.

does anybody have any suggestions?

I @ M
24-06-2010, 5:38am
Dyl, did the printer come with a sample pack of Epson paper?

I would be trying the genuine paper to see if there is any difference between the two but from what you are saying I rather suspect that the problem doesn't lie with the paper and it may be time to seek help from Epson technical support. :(

Calxoddity
24-06-2010, 6:15am
Also,
Depends on what you're printing from, you may be using the incorrect printing profile for the paper. Agree with previous poster - use a known quality manufacturer paper and go from there.

You didn't say which app?

Regards,
Calx

ricktas
24-06-2010, 8:11am
Are you using a calibrated system. IE, is your monitor calibrated using a Spyder etc? It could be that your monitor is way out, and therefore what you think is correct, isn't, thus your prints will be affected also.

kiwi
24-06-2010, 8:14am
I cant see how calibration or using the wrong profile would cause "banding horizontally across the page (very noticable)"

Id say one of the inkjets is clogged or similar

Dylfish
24-06-2010, 9:06am
im using photoshop cs4 with ps handling colour management and a profile for the paper. My computer is calibrated using a spyder 3 pro.

I tried to recalibrate my monitor again last night but i got a massive red colour cast over it (i mean heaps) and im not sure if my spyder is malfunctioning or not.

Either way the printer is brand new and the banding is causing concern. Should I go to epson tech support or is there other things i can try?

kiwi
24-06-2010, 9:26am
i dont see any harm in going to rech support at this point Dylan, may even be a known issue in the support knowledge base

ameerat42
24-06-2010, 10:43am
Had banding on an Epson printer twice. The 2nd time I did not spend the couple of hundred to get it fixt, even though it was a good A3 Stylus Photo model. I will say that Epson (at least) had a very good phone support section. You could get really good advice from them. Am

flash
24-06-2010, 10:43am
tech support and then the techies themselves I'm afraid, if you have only just bought it, take it back and get another or repair this one, banding does not come from the computer it is an issue (usually) with the print head, clogging or not firing, the genuine paper will give a better finish (up to a point, some generic papers are just as good and some cases better) but will not give banding issues

ricktas
24-06-2010, 12:01pm
I cant see how calibration or using the wrong profile would cause "banding horizontally across the page (very noticable)"

Id say one of the inkjets is clogged or similar

OP also stated the result was very over-saturated. My reply was aimed at that, I think there are multiple issues here, and de-clogging a blocked print head won't fix em all.

Boo53
24-06-2010, 11:27pm
Dylon

I purchased a 1410 about 10 days ago and it came a pack of no name "photo" paper which is little more than glorified photo copy paper. A couple of early prints were banded as you mentioned, but I put that down to bleeding the air out of the system. Mine resolved itself quickly but maybe some more bleeding is needed.

The epson presets weren't too bad to print with, but I've now bought a spyder 3print and am a bit happier with the quality, just working my way through fine tuning.

I've given the cheap paper the flick and I'm using Ilford paper - would have gone for epson but living in the bush the nearest Officeworks didn't have any

John R

Boo53
25-06-2010, 11:54am
One other thing Dylon

There were a couple of early prints when I set up my new printer that were too saturated & I discovered that when I clicked "set printer parameters" in photoshop elements and the epson control panel, I then set no colour control in the advanced menu, but if I made a minor change to the paper size or anything else the printer reverted to controlling colour.

When I saved the no colour control as a profile in the advanced panel it stopped jumping back.

If the wording of those commands isn't quite right please excuse me, the printer is at my office & I'm sitting in a clients paddock using my laptop waiting for it to stop raining, so just going from memory

John R

Dylfish
25-06-2010, 7:06pm
ok well i fixed my issue with both.

2 words

EPSON PAPER!

and make sure you choose quality over speed :)