PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a tripod

Kel1973
23-06-2010, 7:49pm
Hi All,

I am off to Vietnam and Singapore in August and am trying to decide to tripod or not to tripod. I am flying air asia so have some lugges restrictions so am interested to hear what others have done.

My tripod is not the heaviest but it's no lightweight either.

Kel

OzzieTraveller
23-06-2010, 8:15pm
G'day Kel

I have a small "traveller's tripod" from Manfrotto [and others make 'em as well]
It is also known as a Table-Top tripod

It's the size of a banana, has a ball & socket head, its 3 legs disappear up into the body when not in use and it's magic !!!

I slip it into a pocket to take almost anywhere, attach it to the camera, sit it on a table, car bonnet, brick wall &/or attach camera, use ball swivel head to put camera at 90degrees, then hold tripod tight onto a brick wall so that camera is now horizontal and take pix that way

Works like a dream...
Regards, Phil

Rosh
23-06-2010, 8:33pm
I got my wife to make me a small bean bag about 15cm x 15cm. You can place this on any uneven surfaces and it will mould around it to keep your camera flat. Just an idea has worked for me in the past.

Brian500au
23-06-2010, 9:28pm
Hi Kel, in the past if i have travelled to a place knowing I needed a tripod (eg Hong Kong harbour), then I would pack one. Now I travel with a light mono pod which can suffice for 95% of what i need to do. A small light weight monopod takes up very little room, easy to carry and doesn't add much to the overall weight of your luggage.

Now I never travel without it.

Kel1973
24-06-2010, 6:29pm
Cool I might check out the mono pods as I am sure I will want some city night shots somewhere along the way.

Thanks all for the advice.

25-06-2010, 11:04am
My friend's D300s + Sigma 150 Macro dropped dead in the river due to a light-weight tripod.

ryshhh
25-06-2010, 11:08am
Ouch! Can you use monopods for the longer exposures? Or is it really for keeping it a bit steadier? Picking up a Manfrotto 190XPROB + 804RC2 for my travels next week. Hope it holds up my 7D. :)

finn
25-06-2010, 11:26am
I've travelled to south-east Asia before with my tripod.
It's 2.3kg - so about medium weight and 60cm long and fits nicely into my checked-in luggage (restriction was 20kg).

I was glad I had it for some shots, but reflecting on the trip, I did not use it that much. But then again it was a holiday and not a photography trip.

If you know you will shoot a considerable amount of images that will need a tripod. I think the inconvieniance of the extra bulk and weight will pay off. Otherwise you may have to resort to high-iso hand held shots.

I'd say take it if you can do without some clothes/shoes due to Air Asia's restrictions. (you're in a location that you probably won't get to too often - so best come prepared)

Have fun.

R1titan
25-06-2010, 12:01pm
I never travel o/s with my main tripod, its just too bulky and heavy to lug around everywhere.

However, on my next trip i've decided to take a small lightweight one for the odd night or landscape use. Trust me, there is no such thing as a light and steady tripod !!
Its taken me a while to find a suitable travel tripod, esp one that is non bulky and light whilst being tall enough (at least 1 metre in height)....but i have a likely candidate.

Brian500au
25-06-2010, 1:28pm
Ouch! Can you use monopods for the longer exposures? Or is it really for keeping it a bit steadier? Picking up a Manfrotto 190XPROB + 804RC2 for my travels next week. Hope it holds up my 7D. :)

I have used the monopod successfully by bracing against a ledge. The monopod is a compromise between not having any support and a tripod. If I know I need a tripod on my travels then I take a Manfrotto 190 carbon with me. It is light and tucks away fairly small.

Bally
25-06-2010, 1:39pm
Bean bag, home made or from the chemist or 2 peso shop (not using the peso yet, but give the government time)

These are great, stable, work in many environments and protects the camera, and easy to throw in the coat pocket or camera bag. I always have one with me in the bag

Monopod Not good for long exposure but other than that very useful, and the main reason they are great is that there are many public places where they won't let you set up a tripod, but wont bother you if you are using a mono-pod. Waterfronts, museums and a surprising number of places really.

Tripod best of both of the above but the restrictions on using them and weight

When I have travelled OS with one, I pack it in the checked-in luggage inside a suitcase, no damage no worries. I have carried them in hand luggage domestically and never been called on them, but I have heard stories that they have been considered a security risk in some places and then sent back to be checked in seperately and then get damaged.

Hope that helps

JM Tran
25-06-2010, 1:54pm
I just got back from 2 weeks overseas in Bali and East Java for photo work - bought a cheap tripod along and carry on luggage only - the tripod was in its own sipped up bag with a sling so i slung it over my arms - got through Qantas, virgin blue, Air Asia and Tiger fine:)

even though I only used it sparingly, it was invaluable as there was no way I could have done 20 second exposures without it.

James Axford
25-06-2010, 4:50pm
Interesting thread. I'm in the same predicament actually. i'm heading off at the end of the year to Canada, Egypt and all around Europe, it'll but for a couple of months.
I'm in two minds if i should take a tripod at all. I already have a light gitzo with ball head that it comes in at about 1.7kg but it might be a touch too heavy for the amount of time i'll be gone for.
I took it to thailand and it was perfect for those night shots with my wide angle lenses, but we didn't do a lot of travel and I didn't have to pack a lot of cold weather stuff like this trip:(
So i'm thinking of getting a gorillapod SLR-Zoom. it only comes in at 241g and looks fairly stable.
might be worth looking into for you.

ryshhh
25-06-2010, 6:05pm
+1 for the Gorillapd SLR Zoom.

Took a couple of simple night shots with the Canon 7D + Grip + 10-22mm. Help up nicely. THe only problem for me was that it too a while to steady and setup up the correct angle. I would suggest putting a ballhead on it too. :)

Kel1973
25-06-2010, 10:14pm
thanks all seems i have some thinking and testing to do. I used a bean bag in Europe but found lots of bridges with funny ledges and a lack of flat surfaces for some shots. The gorilla pod would be hard for me as I am so short and I would be scared it would fall.

Time to test!

stoogest
26-06-2010, 9:53am
After spending 6 weeks in South America my biggest regret is not taking a tripod. Next time I'm going to go looking for a cheap (ie. <$100) tripod that will pack away in both checkin luggage and a day pack. It doesn't have to be a big name brand, just something that will be stable in nothing stronger than a breeze and allow shutter speeds of up to 10-20 seconds. Last time I was in the local second hand store they seemed to have a bunch meeting this criteria so I reckon that'll be my first port of call!

my serendipity
26-06-2010, 11:20am
+2 for the Gorillapod SLR Zoom but you do really need to put a good ball head on it. And as much as I am happy with the Gorillapod I would never leave it hanging from anything. Despite what they say I would hate for my $1800 and >$1000 camera/lens to hit the deck. So as others have said I used available ledges, fences and walls for support (all situations in which a bean bag would also be useful). Just my 2c worth.

gcflora
26-06-2010, 12:15pm
The first time I went to PNG I didn't take my tripod. Since then my tripod goes everywhere with me and I just pack it into my checked luggage

DaVanti
26-06-2010, 1:34pm
Thought I'd chuck in what sounded like a handy tip that I saw a while back in some magazine. This would'nt do the job as a tripod but may give similar stability of a monopod if your caught out with nothing and needed a bit of extra stability. It was piece of string that a bloke had conected to the bottom of the camera body with a loop at the bottom to put your foot through to hold it and just pull up. It could be conected with a bolt of the right thread size with a hole drilled through the head or onto a quick release plate if you had one with you. I think it could be hard on the arms after a while because you'd have to keep upward pressure on it rather than a mono taking the weight of the gear. But anyway it could be a good backup.

Nige
26-06-2010, 5:08pm
I always take my tripod overseas. The tripod goes in my main luggage, I have a 190Xprob with a three way head. Its not the lightest but I really like having the tripod particularly for landscapes. I figured the shots I take I want to be the best I can do since there is no guarantee that I will be back to retake the picture.

ryshhh
26-06-2010, 7:12pm
I always take my tripod overseas. The tripod goes in my main luggage, I have a 190Xprob with a three way head. Its not the lightest but I really like having the tripod particularly for landscapes. I figured the shots I take I want to be the best I can do since there is no guarantee that I will be back to retake the picture.

Good to hear that its working for you! Thats exactly the same one I have. Taking it overseas next week.

Geoff48
26-06-2010, 10:42pm
I indulged myself by buying a Gitzo 'basalt' tripod. I love quality gear.

Kel1973
27-06-2010, 6:30pm
looks like tripod it is, I have the 190x also and was just worried about Air Asia but might just pay the luggage upgrade fee.

clm738
27-06-2010, 7:17pm
Would it be worth buying a tripod when you get there?

JM Tran
27-06-2010, 7:22pm
Would it be worth buying a tripod when you get there?

More than worth it.

I bought a cheap tripod and carrying case in Bali for $32 dollars, did the job well enough for long exposures and landscape stuff, moreso than a Gorillapod ever will, due to its height advantage etc.

In the long term 32 dollars is nothing on your trip and photos are priceless, so its worth the trouble to lug one around and be able to take the desired shot instead of desiring a tripod at that given time.

you can always ditch the tripod later or give it to someone, 32 bucks is cheaper than some restaurant meals for me overseas......

Colinc1
27-06-2010, 7:33pm
A tripod is a must, if you are a keen photographer,you never know when you will
need it.

20 kilos is the usual baggage limit on most airlines,and i find i don't carry much more than
12 - 15 kilos including the tripod on my trips, and that leaves me some 5 kilo lee way for the usual
souvenirs and new clothes i tend to buy on my trips.

Kel1973
19-07-2010, 7:12pm
Air asia and tiger is 15 kilos and my suitcase is already 4.5 kilos. I have 20 around asia but I am a huge shopper so am a bit worried.