PDA

View Full Version : Epson R800

Dylfish
22-06-2010, 2:49pm
Hey Guys,

I've been looking for a home printer to do up to 8x10 prints with good quality.

Has anyone here used the Epson R800? and what are their thoughts on it?

flash
22-06-2010, 3:31pm
I'm not familiar but it's got pretty good write ups on it,

Calxoddity
22-06-2010, 3:31pm
Hi,
The R800 is a good printer, but a bit past its use-by date. I evaluated one of these before settling on the Epson R1900. Unless you specifically want pigment prints, there are a bunch of good A4 dye-based printers on the market that don't have the maintenance hassles of the R800 (ink clogs are more frequent than in dye printers or the later generation pigment printers).

Depending on how deep your pockets are, go the R1900, which is A3+ if you want good quality pigment prints, or get the outsource route and get it done by a photo print place.

Regards,
Calx

Dylfish
22-06-2010, 3:39pm
Yeh the age was what I was worried about. I want a r1900 but the budget won't allow for one right at the moment.

Can anyone recomend a good printer for photos that will allow for 10x8 or 10x12 with the option of a continuous roll?

Calxoddity
22-06-2010, 8:56pm
Continuous roll cuts the list back substantially - to one in fact: the R800 (afaik). Is roll that critical a requirement?

I couldn't afford an Epson R1900 but waited until the Epson shop had a factory second R1900 and got it for half price - but these don't become available very often.

Dylfish
22-06-2010, 9:22pm
Ive been looking for factory seconds but as you say they dont often pop up, I know the r800 is old but it would still be good wouldn't it?

if i would take the continuous roll out the equation what else is comparable?

Gunna
24-06-2010, 10:56pm
I have had the Epson for a few years. I mainly use it for 6x4. Its never given any problems & does a good job. It does chew through the inks though, so I use an external lab for larger & volume work.

Lani
25-06-2010, 9:22am
I also have an R800, and have no problems as far as quality goes, but ink consumption is fairly high...and when the heads need cleaning, it requires the cartridges to have a minimum level of ink, so even though they aren't empty you have to change them. I also suggest only using epson paper, it doesn't perform well on other brands of paper.
It is definitely handy to have a good quality home option, but I get most of my stuff done at a prolab.
As far as the roll option goes, I have never used it( even though I thought I would when I bought it:rolleyes:)...the roll paper is so expensive, not readily available and with cost of ink...I don't believe it is a cost effective option.

Having said that though, I am not sure that it is much different with other printers, they make their money with the cost of consumables.

kiwi
25-06-2010, 9:34am
The printer I have is often cheaper to buy again with inks, than just to buy replacement inks. How daft is that.