PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

simonw
22-06-2010, 12:12am
Gday folks

I am looking to extend my artillery as I currently only have kit lenses & Canons 50mm f1.8 and have almost decided on the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro. I want something that will improve my portraits (candid party shots mostly) with the f2.8 and zoom, but also like the versatility that I can use it for other things, especially Macro.

I am told that it is not as good as a dedicated Macro lens but am sure it will be better than what I have currently.

Before I pull out the credit card I would like to hear your opinions and experiences on the performance of this lens for my needs.

Thanks!

Simon

simonw
22-06-2010, 12:13am
And, if it matters I have a 450D.

dche5390
22-06-2010, 1:07am
The macro suffix to the Sigma is a lie. It does not do anything near to what macro encompasses. The most the Sigma 24-70 will do is have a reduced minimal focusing distance. Poor choice of wording but I'm sure it was their (Sigma's) marketing dept's purpose to mislead.

The lens itself is a pretty good budget mid-range fast zoom.

Should be good to pair the Sigma 24-70 with your existing nifty.

RE: using 24-70 focal range on a crop (450D) body ... I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50 or something similar so you actually have a wide to mid range covered. On crop, the 24-70mm range becomes somewhat ... castrated.

ricktas
22-06-2010, 6:17am
The sigma 24-70 I have is the sharpest lens I own. It is a superb lens and for a mid range zoom, you cannot go past it. It is the only lens I question myself about having the need to sharpen all digital photos.

I disagree with dche5390 comment that Sigma's use of the word macro is a lie and the suggestion it was a determined decision to mislead is extremely harsh, and I would think Sigma's legal department might be questioning statements like made above. You can get quite good macro shots with this lens, and their other zoom lenses that they stick the word macro on. However, it will not compete with a dedicated prime (non zoom) macro lens.

This (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59417) was taken with my 24-70 on a Nikon D3

22-06-2010, 1:42pm
The sigma 24-70 I have is the sharpest lens I own. It is a superb lens and for a mid range zoom, you cannot go past it. It is the only lens I question myself about having the need to sharpen all digital photos.

I disagree with dche5390 comment that Sigma's use of the word macro is a lie and the suggestion it was a determined decision to mislead is extremely harsh, and I would think Sigma's legal department might be questioning statements like made above. You can get quite good macro shots with this lens, and their other zoom lenses that they stick the word macro on. However, it will not compete with a dedicated prime (non zoom) macro lens.

This (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59417) was taken with my 24-70 on a Nikon D3

Which version of the Sigma 24-70 do you own? I am considering the new 24-70 HSM
but some say it is even worse than the old version, is it true?

ricktas
22-06-2010, 2:10pm
Which version of the Sigma 24-70 do you own? I am considering the new 24-70 HSM
but some say it is even worse than the old version, is it true?

I have the new version, and said before, it is the sharpest lens I own, so not sure who the some that say it is even worse are?

22-06-2010, 2:16pm
I have the new version, and said before, it is the sharpest lens I own, so not sure who the some that say it is even worse are?

Thanks a lot for the confidence!

mkooper
23-06-2010, 10:34am
I also own that lens and am very happy with it. It is great for performance shots where the lighting can be dark and flash is useless. Here are some samples taken witht his lens, taken at different zoom and apatures. My only two negatives with this lens are: size (quite large and heavy due to f2.8) and the macro is ... "meh" .... I use the 70-200 macro instead, even though this lens is even larger.

The focus speed is fine and I say that this lens is one of the best value for money lenses. Really good quality at a really reasonable price.

simonw
23-06-2010, 6:08pm
Awesome! thanks guys. I am sold