PDA

View Full Version : What value is there in photogrpahs?

nkleroux
21-06-2010, 1:28pm
Looking to buy a well known photographer's 60" print. Really want it, but also expensive enough to ask what the value will be in this the long run, and how easy it is to sell this if needed (all long term of course)

Don't want to get into whose pic's are best, but thinking of a Ken Duncan I love and just want to find out a little more about this industry.

Thanks in advance to anyone replying.

Noob

kiwi
21-06-2010, 1:51pm
I think youd be best to see a financial planner and advisor if you want investment advice

ricktas
21-06-2010, 1:55pm
The value of anything can go up or down as the market sees fit, houses, camera gear, artworks, photos. In the end you are the only one that can make the decision to buy or not. Asking on a forum is not going to, in any way, help you decide.

To me the value in an item is not what it cost, but what it represents or does. And that is a very personal requirement, and I could say a photo is priceless to me, but you might think it is worthless cause the photo has no connection to you whatsoever. The same can be said for all things. A vintage Jaguar car is worth a lot of money to some, but to me it is just an old car, and I woud much rather my current car cause it gets me from A to B.

I think you are asking the wrong people with your thread, you need to be asking yourself!

Tannin
21-06-2010, 2:36pm
Hi nkleroux, and welcome to AP! An interesting question to start off with!

* Is the photographer current? Or has he/she retired/died?
* Is there an established market for his/her work?
* Have the average prices paid increased, decreased, or remained steady over the last 10 years or so?

These are the sorts of questions I would be asking if I was considering it as an investment. If long-term value-for-money was the main concern, after I had answered them, I'd probably buy some bank shares, pay off the mortgage, or put it on a horse. (Unless I was very confident.)

If, on the other hand, I liked the work enough to be happy to part with the dollars just to have it on my wall, that would be different.

The important thing is that you EITHER make a financial decision OR make an aesthetic decision, but make certain that you are clear in your own mind as to which sort of decision you are making. Trying to do both at once is usually a mistake.

StanW
22-06-2010, 8:12am
I don't think you can do better than take Tannin's advice. In the end, you've got to decide why you're buying the photograph.

RaoulIsidro
13-07-2010, 2:12am
I often dine in a small cozy Italian restaurant called Zia Pina near Sydney Airport. On its wall is a huge Ruth Orkin black and white print called "American Girl In Italy".
It never fails to catch my attention, at least for a minute or two, to ponder and enjoy the image. It is priceless... while I await my steaming pizza.
The owner said he got the print for $30 at Chinatown markets. It's been hanging on his wall for over 20years...

ricktas
13-07-2010, 6:12am
The member who posted this hasn't been back from the very minute it was posted 21-06-2010, 1:28pm , so not really sure why they even bothered, if they did not want to read the views and replies :confused013