PDA

View Full Version : Working out a system for concert photography

Wulfys Kingdom
21-06-2010, 1:04pm
For concert performances like dance groups, I'm just figuring out a way to make purchasing of photographs appealing.

Where a concert is made up of different dance troupes (keeping in mind group and single portrait photos are already covered, I'm just doing "performance photos"), how to make an offer attractive.

The reason for this is that I have been told that a few years ago, another photographer was hired to do the performance photos only, but then none of the groups purchased any. Now the troupes organising the event have asked for performance photos again, I'm working out a system for ordering or purchasing at the event rather than afterwards and risk having none sell.

I'm taking into consideration that more people have websites, facebook groups, advertisements etc for their groups, there may be a small demand there for the photos now - in fact some groups do have professional performance photos already so some do use them.

Two options I've thought of are to firstly request a small "hire" fee from the event organisers (that way I get something at least for my time and effort). Secondly, ask that groups pre-purchase their set of photos on the night instead of being approached by individuals (this would be hard to guarantee photos of that one individual performing due to the scale of the event) and after the event. By having the whole group purchase one set of photos up front, would it be reasonable to allow them to copy & distribute images within their particular group (it's not really preventable anyway?).

kiwi
21-06-2010, 1:22pm
Its a hard one, afte the concert do they stand around somewhere ? Come back the next day or the next week ?

It's always easier to print and sell actual prints than to get people to order from your website no matter how good your marketing is.

Wulfys Kingdom
21-06-2010, 1:35pm
There's not much luck there, afterwards people usually leave fairly quickly to head home. The groups are usually from all around south east qld, so they are fairly spread out around the place.

I dont want to rely on selling them from the website - I think that'd be the worst option with this type of group.

kiwi
21-06-2010, 1:38pm
hmm, shame, its hard then

The BEST way to earn from these sorts of things is get a fixed fee from the organisers.

Failing that you'll struggle unless you get people onto your website and order off there, and that's very hit and miss.

Wulfys Kingdom
21-06-2010, 1:55pm
I'll definitely chat to the organisers and see whether we can work out a reasonable price in that instance. The concert is months away yet, so plenty of time to negotiate.

Watchamacallit
21-06-2010, 4:46pm
I'll chip in from what I've seen at a few places I've attended, but unsure if it's suitable for your situation. This approach I've only seen at places where performers "hang around" after their shows (like there's a social afterwards, or the like where there's a significant chance they'll remain).

If you have, or allowed a marquee/space/etc you could perhaps setup a stall with a TV/Monitor/display unit set up with a slide show of photos of the performance(s) which could potentially attract a few customers, the performers or viewers alike. Also gives the ability to go through photos on the laptop and show them to the group, as it's much easier than on a 15" or the like.

As for the deals I've seen being pass around, it's usually per troupe since like you mentioned before, the sharing of the photos is effectively inevitable amongst themselves and doing it at a group level is generally easier since they can split the costs amongst themselves. Also gives the opportunity to entice individuals within the troupe to want additional shots of themselves.

Disclaimer:
I'm no pro, nor in the photography business (well, yet :P) but hope the observations I've seen from other photographers could provide you some insight in how to approach it. Hope it helps.

Wulfys Kingdom
21-06-2010, 8:11pm
Thanks for your insight, its definitiely helpful to get different perspectives on things!