PDA

View Full Version : Backdrop stand and paper v's muslin?

Miss Ella
19-06-2010, 11:31pm
Hi sorry i hope this is in the right spot.

Wanting opinions on backdrops please.

Im looking at getting a backdrop and stand as have been using a clothes rack and black fleece but am wanting to start up a home studio ( a while down the track) and feel i have outgrown my home made stand as its not very high or wide. I have had a look at a few and have narrowed it down to 2 - Image Melbourne $339.95 Lumoz 300 x 275 stand with 2 rolls of savage paper in black and white or Fotogen Adelaide $349 Fotogen Hurcules 300 x 275 stand with 2 rolls of fotogen paper black and white - does anyone have dealings with either of these compaines? if so which would you get.

Also i have seen a lot of muslin backdrops - which is better paper or muslin? i had always thought that paper was better and had always wanted that but now im not so sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Debra Faulkner
22-06-2010, 6:54pm
Well, Miss Ella, have you made any decisions yet about your backdrops?

We have had positive dealings with Fotogen for muslin. We have purchased paper from Quality Cameras in W.A. (they advertise here on AP) with very positive outcomes too.

Muslin is very useful for draping over furniture or can be used like paper as a full drop for the background and floor.

Hope this helps :)

jeffde
23-06-2010, 12:41pm
Hi I have 3 muslin drops, white the brown and black mottled. Its been interesting but about 95% of the shots we have sold have all been with the black mottled backdrop. Have thought about paper but the cost of setting it up properly has scared me off.
The muslin i think is more versatile. and easier to transpoer (if you need to ) than paper.
Good luck
Jeff

Miss Ella
25-06-2010, 6:27pm
Thanks for your replies. I ordered the paper backdrop but think that i will also get a muslin one later on as i can then transport to peoples houses.

JM Tran
25-06-2010, 6:35pm
Hi Ella,

Paper backdrops have better light-roll off qualities, or whatever you call it - where the lighting is more even and better exposed. The most common colour for paper is neutral grey which fashion photographers favour, as you can change the white balance to change the colour of the background etc very easily

Muslin are harder to get the lighting right, as it doesnt reflect light as much. But they are much much more durable and can last you decades, whereas I go through a 12m roll of paper backdrop within 12 months depending on what I do with it

achee
05-11-2010, 12:44pm
What's special about the muslin backdrop material, compared to any other cotton fabric I could get at lincraft?

ricstew
05-11-2010, 5:22pm
The width..........Lincaraft, spotlight have cotton at the most 62" wide..or more likely 42" and you have to remove the selvedges......its not wide enough and to join pieces you get seams.......it works out to be a lot more expensive when you need 6 metres or so x 3 for the width.

Eberbachl
05-11-2010, 5:33pm
I have a back drop stand from Image Melbourne, and it's excellent. They are great down there -very helpful.

I have a black muslin backdrop with it, but to be honest I don't feel I have enough experience with the muslin yet to make fair comments about it. Nor have I used paper, so I can't make a comparison.

I can recommend the stand however. Well made, easy to set up, portable and good value.

:)

flame70
05-11-2010, 9:53pm
Paper for the studio (make sure you have a hard floor if you intend to stand on it) and Muslin for location:)