PDA

View Full Version : Bill of Rights

kazdez
18-06-2010, 9:40am
I was sent this today from a friend in the US who is an illustrator, and thought that the idea is great...... just substitute the word photographer to the word illustrator.

The Illustrators (Photographers) Bill of Rights
Share - Today at 4:13am

1. Illustrators have the right to get paid.
2. Illustrators have the right to be treated as a business.
3. Illustrators have the right to be given enough time to complete assignments in a reasonable time frame.
4. Illustrators have the right to think a project over before they take on any assignment or commitments.
5. Illustrators have the right to have a signed written agreement before they start work.
6. Illustrators have the right to be able to make proper corrections and revisions.
7. Illustrators have the right to be treated with respect.
8. Illustrators have the right to be able to follow ethical guidelines and not be asked to plagiarize or copy another illustrators style or work.
9. Illustrators have the right to be asked first before someone wants to use their work.
10. Illustrators have the right to protect the copyright of their work from their web sites and blogs.
11. Illustrators have the right to take on as many clients as they want.
12. Illustrators have the right to know about “the fine print” and a web site’s posting guidelines and terms and conditions always.
13. Illustrators have the right to breaks, sick time, family time, holidays and vacations.
14. Illustrators have the right to turn down spec work or any assignment that feels unethical to their career.
15. Illustrators have the right to discontinue working with a difficult client if unrecognizable differences cannot be resolved.
16. Illustrators have the right to terminate a project if it compromises their career, ethics or beliefs.
17. And last but not least...Illustrators have the right to drink as much coffee as they wish...any time of the day to get the job done. :)

© Holly DeWolf 2010

Thanks to my friends Holly and Elizabeth Bell for this. Permission to share given

Tell me what you think - hope this is not in the incorrect area

Tannin
18-06-2010, 10:05am
I wish that all my differences were "unrecognisable" ones! :eek:

Kym
18-06-2010, 10:28am
Hmmm. Ok to a point, but good professional self management is the real key. I.e. get it in writing and use your brain.

Item 8. Re: 'Style' - that is wrong - how do you copy a style? or patent it? Its too vague.

A lot of the rest is just normal employment stuff.

arthurking83
18-06-2010, 3:05pm
Item 8. Re: 'Style' - that is wrong - how do you copy a style? or patent it? Its too vague.....

Well I'm calling dibs(an Americanism?) on Landscape Photography. Everyone else is now simply copying my photography style called lanscapes.

That's how ludicrous it is to copyright a style.

#8 should read that Illustrators have the right to refuse requests of copying others work... or something, that actually makes sense.
As it is now, (and among other variations of that brief) it's implying that no one has the right to ask for an illustrator to illustrate to a specific taste of the person asking for the work to be done! :confused013