PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Photography

bigbaz
16-06-2010, 2:41pm
Well i got my 550D this week, as well as my 17-85mm lens, and i am going to a wedding this weekend and have decided i may as well bring it along and give it a go. I am not the official photographer and they have hired professionals so it is not the end of the world if the photos do not turn out, i am doing this for my experience, so don't bother telling me wedding photography is hard, i have searched and found that out already.

Now my only lens is the 17-85mm, but i am looking at buying a 50mm F1.8 and a 55-250mm IS lens in the near future, would i be better off getting these sooner?

I only have the in built flash, will this be enough?

Lens hoods, i don't have any, should I?

I am pretty new at this should i just stick to Auto mode, or change it to one of the other auto settings, such as portrait mode or something? Or is this that moment where i need to take my training wheels off and learn more about depth of field so i can get some good background blur happening?

Any other tips for me?

Edit - Forgot to mention it is an indoor wedding!

virgal_tracy
16-06-2010, 3:17pm
Reallistically, what are you hoping to achieve at the wedding. If it it is church / chapel ceremony, there will be little chance for you to be standing up to take pictures. Many churches have a no flash policy also.

As a guest the 17-85 will allow you to get some nice images, so no necessity to go out and spend money now if you don't want to.

If you don't care about the images then take it off auto and experience what the changes do to the images. There is much more to learn than simply bluring the background. Learn about the relationship between iso, aperture and shutter speed. This is a great opportunity to experiment with no pressure on you to produce.

Introduce yourself to the pro photographers when they have a quiet moment. Some will be gald to answer and others may tell you to push off. Respect that they have a job to do and accept what they give you.

bigbaz
16-06-2010, 3:31pm
I suppose i want perfect photos and to learn everything about photography in one week so i can take perfect images, is that too much to ask?

It is a church ceremony, but as a family member (sort of) i can get a pretty good seat easily enough to get a good line of sight.

I might ask the church, it is easy enough to turn the flash off (I have figured out how to do that in the 20 or so hours i have had the camera)

Spending the money now or later doesn't really bother me, i can probably go out and borrow any of that gear off mates easy enough also.

I care but not heaps, i want to take nice shots (my girlfriend is one of the bridesmaids so i would like to get some nice shots of her) but i would also like to take the opportunity to learn a bit more about the other modes of the camera, perhaps i will do this the day before so i am not going in with no knowledge or experience.

Thanks for your advice

flash
16-06-2010, 3:36pm
go and have a ball, say g'day to the pro's and ask questions, before you get to the wedding have a lot of "home shoots" line up a teddy bear at the distance you are going to shoot and fire lots off with different settings, I have learnt that you cant hurt the thing by messing with the settings, if all else fails try "ADEP" auto depth of field and "portrait mode" just mess with it a lot before you get there, I'm no pro and I dont think I ever will be but by hell I'm having fun with my new toy

ricktas
16-06-2010, 3:36pm
I suppose i want perfect photos and to learn everything about photography in one week so i can take perfect images, is that too much to ask?

Yes!

You will not learn in one week everything needed to take perfect photos. Learn as much as you can in this time and take the best photos you can, but you have a LONG learning curve ahead of you, and a lot more money to spend to get anything like a professional wedding photographer can. Consider than a wedding photographer will turn up with probably more than $10K of camera gear, including single lenses that cost thousands alone.

Enjoy the experience, but don't put to much pressure on yourself, cause you will be unhappy with the results if you do.

bigbaz
16-06-2010, 3:46pm
Yes!

You will not learn in one week everything needed to take perfect photos. Learn as much as you can in this time and take the best photos you can, but you have a LONG learning curve ahead of you, and a lot more money to spend to get anything like a professional wedding photographer can. Consider than a wedding photographer will turn up with probably more than $10K of camera gear, including single lenses that cost thousands alone.

Enjoy the experience, but don't put to much pressure on yourself, cause you will be unhappy with the results if you do.

Thanks for your response, that statement was said tongue in cheek, in case my tone was not picked up, they really do need a font for that, anyway i digress. Back to wedding photography, or photography in general really.

I suppose i will just get out and try to take as many photos as i can before the day and play with a lot of different settings.

Also thanks flash for explaining what A-dep was, i haven't read the manual yet and that was the only mode i hadn't guessed yet, i knew it would be something that i should know.

flash
16-06-2010, 3:50pm
no worries mate, have a ball that's the secret! I found it was best if you download the manual to your putey then read it off the screen, I found it was easier for me and still is, there is a hell of a lot on "you tube" as well

ricktas
16-06-2010, 4:02pm
Thanks for your response, that statement was said tongue in cheek, in case my tone was not picked up, they really do need a font for that, anyway i digress.

We have Smilies, that are good to use for that sort of thing. Esp when you cannot express tone via text.

I @ M
16-06-2010, 4:06pm
Baz, take what I am saying without a single hint of sarcasm or any form of condescending tones at all please.

In a nutshell, you are doomed to almost certain (99.9%) failure at getting "perfect" shots.
If you are on very good terms with the bridal party see if you can con them into posing for you and use the occasion as a massive learning experience to see what needs to be done in a situation like that. If you aren't on very good terms with the bridal party, stick to candids and use the experience the same way.

say g'day to the pro's and ask questions,

Sorry, but that is not something that I would recommend, unless you have made some form of arrangement with the official photographers well before the event I would stay well out of their way. They may well be professional enough to handle a few polite enquiries as well as take the necessary photos but the reality of it is that they would rather not have another person in their face on the day asking questions and possibly getting in the way.

They are there for the only people that matter on the day, the bride and groom, and unnecessary distractions (amateur 'tog) can only serve to possibly take the shine off their day.

Besides, wedding togs are a breed all of their own and some can be quite tetchy about the whole deal. :D Creative genius or something I believe they call it. :rolleyes:

bigbaz
16-06-2010, 4:19pm
I would say i am on pretty good terms with the bridal party, there is only 4 of them, plus the bride and groom and i am dating one of them (not the bride or groom), so that is a pretty good start, and i know all of them reasonably well.

I am prepared for failure, this will likely be my first (possibly second) time out with the camera, but i figure i am not going to learn anything if i do not try to take photos, and if i am going to try, i may as well get some advice before i do

zollo
16-06-2010, 5:00pm
your mates have all the gear and you got one week to practice, you got all you need for perfect wedding photos.

flash
16-06-2010, 5:04pm
I agree with Zollo, practice, practice, and then practice some more, dont be prepared for failure, the back of the camera will tell you when you have a good shot, take a look at the spread of the whatsaname thingy it should all be roughly centre or evenly spread, read the manual and just enjoy yourself, it's all good!

campo
16-06-2010, 5:07pm
Besides, wedding togs are a breed all of their own and some can be quite tetchy about the whole deal.

yeah, come near me when i'm working and I'll hit you over the head with my $3000 lens ;)

but seriously, it seems you've determined that capturing shots is not necessarily as easy as it seems and you have realistic expectations for a first wedding. This is a great start as you may even surprise yourself!

Here are a few quick points:

As above, best not to use flash in the church during the ceremony. That said, as the bride walks in, walks out and during the certificate signing (if celebrant says everyone come up) are usually the 3 times when it's "permissable" to use your flash.
Don't be scared to push your ISO up high in the church. Better to capture grainy images then clear ones with lots of motion blur (ie. shutter speed too slow, people moving)
don't bother with multiple lenses as you will miss things when changing, the 17-85mm should be able to cover most of your needs
Talking to the photographer is really a case by case thing that you'll have to judge on the day. I personally don't mind talking to people and handing out a few tips when working but i will tell people to disappear if they become a nuisance.
have fun, and enjoy the day as much as you can (it sometimes does suck when your partner's in the bridal party)

dche5390
16-06-2010, 8:18pm
What's with churches and no flashes? Is it actually a stated rule?

ricktas
16-06-2010, 8:23pm

In some churches yes. Some ministers of religion will clearly state that flash is not permitted in their church.

dche5390
16-06-2010, 8:24pm
In some churches yes. Some ministers of religion will clearly state that flash is not permitted in their church.

Sorry for going off-topic, I suppose one must respect that but ... is there a rational reason behind this?

Lucky most weddings I've attended as a guest or wanna photographer have allowed flash. Is flash going to .. destroy something?

kiwi
16-06-2010, 8:26pm
Yes, genesis 14:3

"You shalt not be a ######## in a church by strobing a religious ceremony like it's a fashion runway"

Moses I think

campo
16-06-2010, 9:56pm

it's a personal preference of various churches/ministers...

the first thing i do when i get to a church is introduce myself to the minister and have a chat about their dos and donts. Generally speaking most ministers are fairly relaxed but the bottom line is that it's their service and you have to respect their rules. I have a clause in my wedding contract to "protect" me in case the rules are very restrictive and prevent me from doing my job.

As an example of what can happen, in Canberra there is a church that my colleague shot at where the minister instructed him to take a seat and told him not to move during the ceremony or use flash. The following weekend he shot at that same church with different minister and was allowed to move around and use flash...

darkbhudda
18-06-2010, 1:14pm
Sorry for going off-topic, I suppose one must respect that but ... is there a rational reason behind this?

Lucky most weddings I've attended as a guest or wanna photographer have allowed flash. Is flash going to .. destroy something?
Yes. When you get idiots that have flash so bright it could drown out the sun and are taking photos every few seconds, it does ruin the atmosphere. Far easier to ban flashes rather than ban idiots.

Keith
18-06-2010, 2:17pm

It's easy, just ask the minister/celebrant if it is ok. If they say yes then just go easy on the flashing if you have to use it. And go to the church beforehand and find out the levels and settings required so you don't need to do any major testing on the day.

bigdazzler
18-06-2010, 3:04pm
take a look at the spread of the whatsaname thingy it should all be roughly centre or evenly spread

gold medal technical quote of the year mate .. :th3::lol:

for the record .. its called a histogram ;):)

flash
18-06-2010, 5:34pm
ah!! a histogram, yep had one of them and the quack said I'm all clear!

ricktas
20-06-2010, 7:21pm
Well, it is Sunday night, how did you go Bigdaz?

dowden photography
20-06-2010, 8:56pm
Well i got my 550D this week, as well as my 17-85mm lens, and i am going to a wedding this weekend and have decided i may as well bring it along and give it a go. I am not the official photographer and they have hired professionals so it is not the end of the world if the photos do not turn out, i am doing this for my experience, so don't bother telling me wedding photography is hard, i have searched and found that out already.

Firstly don't get in the way of the paid photographer, your friends could be paying over $2000 for their service and getting in their way could be a friendship ended.

Now my only lens is the 17-85mm, but i am looking at buying a 50mm F1.8 and a 55-250mm IS lens in the near future, would i be better off getting these sooner?

the 50mm ƒ1.8 is a very cheap lens, stick with the 17-85mm

I only have the in built flash, will this be enough?

Hell no, not even close, a mile from it.
Inbuilt flashes are one of the worst things you could shoot with, buy a second hand flash if you want but if you plan on using a flash.

Lens hoods, i don't have any, should I?

Yes, you'll stop light dots and flair.

I am pretty new at this should i just stick to Auto mode, or change it to one of the other auto settings, such as portrait mode or something? Or is this that moment where i need to take my training wheels off and learn more about depth of field so i can get some good background blur happening?

Shoot in aperture mode, set it to the lowest number and fire away, when using the flash set it to ƒ8.

dowden photography
20-06-2010, 9:07pm
yeah, come near me when i'm working and I'll hit you over the head with my $3000 lens ;)

but seriously, it seems you've determined that capturing shots is not necessarily as easy as it seems and you have realistic expectations for a first wedding. This is a great start as you may even surprise yourself!

Here are a few quick points:

As above, best not to use flash in the church during the ceremony. That said, as the bride walks in, walks out and during the certificate signing (if celebrant says everyone come up) are usually the 3 times when it's "permissable" to use your flash.
Don't be scared to push your ISO up high in the church. Better to capture grainy images then clear ones with lots of motion blur (ie. shutter speed too slow, people moving)
don't bother with multiple lenses as you will miss things when changing, the 17-85mm should be able to cover most of your needs
Talking to the photographer is really a case by case thing that you'll have to judge on the day. I personally don't mind talking to people and handing out a few tips when working but i will tell people to disappear if they become a nuisance.
have fun, and enjoy the day as much as you can (it sometimes does suck when your partner's in the bridal party)

Its the old Bart Cummings line, "I'll train your for $75 a day, if you want to be hands on, it'll be $150 a day"

I know when I'm working I don't want to be bugged by people wanting to know this and that, I'll be more than willing to talk to anyone after I'm done, but not while my name & work is at stake.

bigbaz
22-06-2010, 5:28pm
Took a lot of photos, on the weekend, just used the 17-85mm, learnt quite a few things on the day about my camera and about different things on it, kept the flash off and just shot with what light was there.

Main thing that i learnt was how to set manual focus points as i kept trying to take shots of things and it would focus on something closer and the thing i wanted to photograph was all blurry.

I also learnt that when changing to manual focus points do not get drunk and forget that you have done that as you are constantly wondering why all your photos are focusing on weird things.

I did speak to the professional photographers, the bride was having issues getting the dress on, so they had a bit of downtime and decided to chat to them then, but kept well out of their way when they were working.

Was a bit odd as i seemed to be the only person other then the professionals taking photos, at one stage the MC said anyone that wants to get a photo of them cutting the cake, please surround the dancefloor, so i got up and went to the edge of the dancefloor, and was the only one there out of 300 guests. Even for the bridal waltz everyone stayed where they were.

I will post a few shots up in the critique section after i review them, i took about 500 (a bit small as i left the camera sitting on my chair for most of the night).

Lastly i enjoyed the wedding except my girlfriend catching the bouquet, that was stressful. But was made better by the two glasses of Johnnie Walker Blue Label she gave me afterwards.

zenridaz
24-06-2010, 8:07am
did you get drunk at the wedding?:D

bigbaz
24-06-2010, 8:16am
of course i did, the girlfriend was feeding me blue label johnnie walker, damn it tastes good